Motorhome Magazine Open Roads Forum: First Ram Promaster van class B
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class B - Camping Van Conversi...

Open Roads Forum  >  Class B - Camping Van Conversions  >  General Topics

> First Ram Promaster van class B

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Davydd

Minnesota

View Profile

Posted: 05/03/13 11:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here are your choices...

20'-10" is their maximum length.

Davydd
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter B Camper Van
Visited states in an RV

RobertRyan

Australia

View Profile

Posted: 05/03/13 02:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bobojay5 wrote:

RobertRyan, this 3.6 engine that Chrysler is using is a sweetheart of an engine. Very popular here in the USA on Chrysler products. The highway patrol here in my state has went to it on all the Dodge Chargers as it will do 135mph

As a car engine it is fine. The Pentastar is the base engine for Jeeps sold here. Very few are sold, as most people use their Cherokees, Grand Cherokees for towing. In those cases it is the 3 Lire Diesel and to a lesser extent the 5.7 Hemi that is used.
http://www.jeep.com.au/features-a-specs/........apability/jeep-grand-cherokee-powertrain
Quote:

Jeep Grand Cherokee Powertrain

The Jeep® Grand Cherokee is re-imagined and re-engineered to perform heroically in all driving conditions and environments. With a choice of either the 3.6-litre Pentastar™ V6 engine, 5.7-litre HEMI® V8 engine, or 3.0-litre CRD turbo diesel V6 engine, the all-new Grand Cherokee will power all of your adventures.

RobertRyan

Australia

View Profile

Posted: 05/03/13 02:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Daydd wrote:

20'-10" is their maximum length.

Here it varies from 20-27ft. longest Motorhome the 27ft ones are on a side by side Dually arrangement.

A similar 3 Litre Diesel in the RWD IVECO Daily becomes a MONSTER. The IVECO Dail 70c Van has a 10,000lb payload!
A IVECO Daily 65c and a 32ft 5ver.

A 35ft Forest River Silverback

* This post was last edited 05/03/13 03:03pm by RobertRyan *   View edit history

Davydd

Minnesota

View Profile

Posted: 05/03/13 03:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We're talking about Bs in this forum not Cs.

mlts22

Austin, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 05/03/13 03:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Unfortunately, the US vans are different from the Aussies. The two separate axles are not sold here, and all the vans and cutaways here are front wheel drive. An IVECO engine would be nice (perhaps a Hemi for a gasser), but right now, it is a pipe dream, as there may be a chance of Fiat just abandoning the van market in the US for good if they get into bad times again.

I'm guessing Winnebago had a choice -- they could either get the DRW chassis and lose the space underneath to the second set of tires, or they go with the SRW chassis and be close to the GVWR of the vehicle. This is ironic, as the Promaster is the best in class when it comes to weight capacity. The Promaster has a CCC of 5125 pounds, then the Sprinter 3500 at 5020, and the Transit with no specs out yet, but in Europe, it tops out at 3670 pounds.

I assume the Travato is a "version 1.0" upfit, made to test the waters and gauge interest. I think things will get better, with more interesting floorplans as time permits. I just hope they can move to a DRW configuration so they are not at the razor's edge of weight on the vehicle.

Of course, it would be nice to see a bigger diesel engine, but it might be difficult, as I don't know any transaxles that can take a large amount of torque.

RobertRyan

Australia

View Profile

Posted: 05/03/13 08:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dayvdd wrote:

We're talking about Bs in this forum not Cs.

Right you are an IVECO Daily Class B. Sprinter sized

mumkin

Minnetonka, MN

View Profile

Posted: 05/03/13 09:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Davydd wrote:

mlts22 wrote:

Here is another video, which does a somewhat decent walkaround of the Travato.

That video is mostly about the ERA not the Travato. There was just a little bit on the Travato at the end and not a complete walkaround.

I thought it was pretty complete. Only the first minute was the exterior of an ERA. The last two minutes of the three minute video was of the exterior - didn't show us the storage though - and most of the interior of the Travato. It didn't show the bed down, but showed the bath, galley, fridge... and two men using the dinette area.

The way the bed folds up is interesting.

Mumkin
2011 LTV Libero

Davydd

Minnesota

View Profile

Posted: 05/04/13 08:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mumkin wrote:

Davydd wrote:

mlts22 wrote:

Here is another video, which does a somewhat decent walkaround of the Travato.

That video is mostly about the ERA not the Travato. There was just a little bit on the Travato at the end and not a complete walkaround.

I thought it was pretty complete. Only the first minute was the exterior of an ERA. The last two minutes of the three minute video was of the exterior - didn't show us the storage though - and most of the interior of the Travato. It didn't show the bed down, but showed the bath, galley, fridge... and two men using the dinette area.

The way the bed folds up is interesting.

The first time I watched that video and posted my comment it got cut off on me. I watched it a second time to see the whole video.

I'm not impressed with this effort.

How do you stand at or sit on the toilet with the wheel well in the way?

The kitchen counter has no counter space as it is taken up by the sink and stove with covers. That's nice to use for temporary storing of stuff in camp but not for cooking.

My guess is the bed is at best 54" wide. That's a standard double width but in this day and age not very desirable for two people. Nipping out the corner for the bathroom door doesn't help.

They put an ottoman blocking the sliding door opening I assume to be part of a bed extension (is it?) as well as to be able to sit at the table. The table is an odd shape. The rear seat faces forward. The ottoman faces sideways. The cab seats are shoved forward to enable the table to fit. If the cab seats don't turn to face the table then this is the most ill designed setup I have ever seen in a B. If the cab seats turned you would think there would be no need for the ottoman and could extend the kitchen counter over.

There appears to be a real lack of storage other than a huge catch all potential under the bed. You have to balance storage with people and to imply this B could sleep 3-4 people is ridiculous.

The maximum 20'-10" long van which is 18" longer than a short Sprinter (RT Agile), 11" shorter than the pre-2007 Sprinters (my former 2005 P-W Plateau), 23" shorter than current regular length Sprinters (my 2011 GWV Legend) and 39" shorter than extended Sprinters (ERA) is going to be a challenge for designers. So base cost will be $10,000-$12,000 less than the Sprinter it appears and maybe cheaper still simply because it will be impossible to provide as much inside as the Sprinters. As it appears it will have a niche because of cost but will not be a direct competitor with the Sprinter on comfort and features. It will have design limitations similar to the short wheel base Sprinters.

stan909

San Bernardino,Ca

View Profile

Posted: 05/04/13 09:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would think the target for this van would be young families 2 adults 2'kids. Soccer mom. Easy to drive and park. Even the Roadtreks that supposedly sleep 4 people don't really sleep 4 adults. Bang for the buck. I think the Era is hands down the winner in class Bs but for many who would also want a daily driver it is too much of a good thing. Winnebago probably should have gone for a short Sprinter instead but there is something to be said for having a gasoline based B which until now (or rather,the fall) they did not.

RobertRyan

Australia

View Profile

Posted: 05/04/13 03:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dayvdd wrote:

I'm not impressed with this effort.

I would agree with your comments. As well as I posted before ,the interior looks terrible ordinary.
My Sister had to stay in my very elderly Uncles 2007 IVECO Class B(No extra bed in house). I had previously seen it when he was driving(Now trying to sell it).Although a Custom conversion it is vastly better than this Winnebago.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class B - Camping Van Conversions  >  General Topics

> First Ram Promaster van class B
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class B - Camping Van Conversi...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Motorhome Magazine | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS