Motorhome Magazine Open Roads Forum: Class C Motorhomes: 83 Ford 460 fuel issue.
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> 83 Ford 460 fuel issue.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
CampersX4

Oceanside, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 10/25/10 08:08pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have an 83 Jamboree on a Ford chassis. 460 motor, one gas tank. Driving home at night going around 65mph on the freeway, the motor started to slow between 25 and 35mph. Studdering and backfiring. All gauges reading normal. I pulled into the emergency lane and continued to drive slowly and got off the freeway at the next exit that was about a mile away. I stopped at the stop sign at the end of the ramp, motor idled fine. I stepped on the gas to move forward and did without a problem so I decided to get back onto the freeway. Drove another 500ft or so then it started again, back down to 25mph. I took the next exit, pulled over, motor still idling no problem. I turned the ignition off and turned it on again and it started right up. I revved the engine without any hesitation or sputtering so I got back on the freeway and made it home, about 25 miles, with out it doing it again.

Any ideas? I know there are a few other threads regarding my chassis and fuel issues but my seem to be different. I am going to replace the fuel filter first but if that doesn't work, I need to know the next place to look. Maybe someone has had this happen to them and they can save me a step.

Thanks.

sunkatcher

Fulltimer

View Profile

Posted: 10/25/10 08:18pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Change your filter then get a mechanic to do a presure guage reading from the fuel pump. My 460 acted the same just before I had to replace the intank fuel pump.
Luck
Ron

masa4u.com

Grillmeister

BBQ TOUR USA

View Profile

Posted: 10/27/10 04:12pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The next very easy and cheap thing to try after the fuel filter is to run a jumper wire directly to the fuel pump to make sure you are getting good voltage. Several other posters here have had the same issue. I stopped last week to help a guy on the side of the road with a 20+ year old MH and he was convinced the original electric fuel pump was bad. After installing a new one it still would not run, so he re-installed the original and a jumpier wire and drove home.

Let us know how it works out.

Show me the GRILL and STAND BACK!!!!

j-d

Sunny Florida USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/26/10 08:25pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If the pump in the tank has failed, you can put one in-line ahead of it and it'll pull fuel through the failed in-tank pump. But if the pickup screen in the tank happens to be clogged, then a second pump may not succeed.
Remember that if you have the MotorCraft/Holley carburetor, there is a small fuel filter in its inlet. That would be in addition to any in-line filters. Our 83 didn't have an in-line filter. That made it all too easy for the small (tiny actually) inlet filter to clog. I found a joint in the steel line (bridged with rubber fuel line) and put a clear plastic in-line filter there. Carried a spare too. Easy to visually check and to change. I didn't shorten the steel, rather installed a loop of fuel line with the filter in the middle of it.

God Bless, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100

Gale Hawkins

Murray, KY

View Profile

Posted: 10/25/10 09:19pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2X

Some filters can back flush a bit when shut off then run better for a bit.

On our P30 a $10 filter from WM fixed us. As a side note some thinks dirty fuel filters increasing the pump head pressure is a factor that can shorten their life.

SailnSeagulls

New York

View Profile

Posted: 10/26/10 05:58pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I previously owned a 1983 Fleetwood Jamboree 23 foot on the ford frame with the 460 motor. I was traveling on the New York State Thruway when the exact same thing happened. I pulled over the first time and replaced the in line fuel filter which was just foward of the gas tank. I went a short distance before it happened again. I was lucky enough to be by a parts store and replaced the Holley external gas pump which was located just in front of the gas tank. Never had another problem with it.

Larry

Grillmeister

BBQ TOUR USA

View Profile

Posted: 10/26/11 09:18am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Any Updates?

j-d

Sunny Florida USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/27/10 06:43pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There should be a blue wire plugged onto the starter solenoid. On our 83, battery was passenger side and solenoid inside the fender liner next to it. Pull that blue wire off, power (safely with fused lead or circuit breaker) it with +12VDC and the pump should run. You should be able to hear it if it's fairly quiet out. You should surely hear it if you crawl under near the tank.

CampersX4

Oceanside, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 10/27/10 04:52pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thank you so far for the replies. I will be replacing both filters and checking out the fuel pump this weekend.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> 83 Ford 460 fuel issue.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Motorhome Magazine | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS