Motorhome Magazine Open Roads Forum: Class A Motorhomes: 50 amp Adapter ??
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> 50 amp Adapter ??

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
jeffo

Madison,Indiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/16/13 05:41pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We should be getting our new Thor Daybreak in a couple of weeks. It has 50 amp service with 2 roof top A/C's. Alot of campgrounds we camp at only have 30 amp service. I saw where camping world sells and adapter that has a 50 amp plug that is fed from a 30 amp and also a 20 amp ( that is usally on most 30 amp pedestals). Do campgrounds frown on using one of these? Most campgrounds charge extra for 50 amp service.

Jeff

2013 Thor Daybreak 32HD

rrupert

NW PA

View Profile

Posted: 03/16/13 05:54pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have never been charged to use a 50amp outlet with my 30amp TT. If I was to pull into a campground with your rig they would probably charge you extra when they see the two AC's on the roof. As far as using the adapters to lower amperage outlets you will have to watch how much power you use or you will be continually running out to reset the breakers. 30amp will limit you to one AC at a time most likely. With 20amp forget the AC and a few other power hungry appliances. I don't know if the campground will have as much of a problem with it as you will.

Rich and Joyce
2010 HiLo 2310H
2012 Ford F150 4X4 Supercrew EcoBoost
Reese Strait-Line Dual Cam Hitch
Amateur Radio K3EXU

MountainAir05

New Mexico

View Profile

Posted: 03/16/13 06:05pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have never been told that it was more for a 50 amp than a 30 amp. Most places that we stay have both in the same box. As stated you can only run one air and still have some left to run other things on 30. For sure you will need the adapters, say when you are home to charge the battery and run the ref.

jeffo

Madison,Indiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/16/13 06:11pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The adapter I am talking about would supply 50 amps. It has 2 plugs, one 30 amp and one 20 amp that feed a 50 amp receptical. Part# 25774 page 63 in the 2013 Camping World Master catalog.

Kiwi_too

Western, WA

View Profile

Posted: 03/16/13 06:19pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes. Most, if not all, frown on or prohibit their use. They will trip a GFCI breaker.

May God bless your travels

Me, The Wonderful Wife
and two Spastic Border Collies
U.S. Army Retired
2013 Tiffin Allegro 36LA
2007 Saturn Outlook, FROG

rexabbot

Cumming GA

View Profile

Posted: 03/16/13 06:22pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That is called a cheater cord. Won't work most places because of the GIF outlet.

And there are parks that charge more for a 50 amp site than a 30 amp site.

They don't automatically charge you more if they see 2 a/c units on top.

Dutch_12078

Great Sacandaga Lake, NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/16/13 06:39pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jeffo wrote:

The adapter I am talking about would supply 50 amps. It has 2 plugs, one 30 amp and one 20 amp that feed a 50 amp receptical. Part# 25774 page 63 in the 2013 Camping World Master catalog.

The adapter does NOT actually supply up to 50 amps. In the few campgrounds where it may actually work, it will supply up to 20 amps to about half of your coach, and up to 30 amps to the other half. The two capacities do not combine, so you can never have a load on the one side that exceeds 20 amps, nor can you have a load on the other that exceeds 30 amps. When your coach is connected to a proper 50 amp supply, the two halves of your coach each receive up to 50 amps. Again, the maximum load on either circuit is 50 amps. I used "half the coach" to simplify the concept, but the actual loads on each circuit can vary quite a bit. For the purists, yes, I'm aware that breakers will typically not carry a sustained load that exceeds 80% of the breaker capacity for an extended period.

Dutch
1995 Coachmen Catalina 322QBXL
F53 chassis, 460 V8, TST TPMS
Quadra Bigfoot EZE Levelers
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 03/16/13 06:47pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi jeffo,

Save your money. Just get a 30 to 50 adapter for those times that there is only 30.

Regards, Don
Full Time in a Kustom Koach Class C 28'5", 256 watts Unisolar, 875 amp hours in two battery banks 12 volt batteries, 2500 MSW watt inverter.

rocmoc

Southern AZ/Mexico

View Profile

Posted: 03/16/13 07:02pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have had one for a few years and have used it about 10 times. Bought it at Camping World for less than $50 on sale then. I never ask and no campground has ever complained. Works well. Used it twice this last winter in cold weather to run both heat pumps. Have also used it in the past in hot weather to run both ACs. I never use the 20 amp feature because of the GFCI issue, always plug into two 30 amp standard RV hookups outlets. I have had to run an extension cord a couple of times when there was not two outlets on my pole. This always depends on the next site being unused. My unit had two 30 amp plugs with an adapter so you can plug into a 20 amp outlet. My unit has paid for itself many times and is always with us. The 30 amp to 50 amp won't do the trick because if both AC/Heat Pumps start at the same time by chance you will overload the circuit. But I do have one of them for the times when the site next to me is being used. Then I only use one AC/Heat Pump unit to avoid the overload problem. You will need both!

rocmoc n AZ/Mexico

rocmoc n Southern AZ/Mexico

docj

Fulltime--Home is where we park it

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/16/13 07:03pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

IMHO cheater cords are worth owning but, as others have said, their use is limited. They work best if you can connect to two separate pedestals to make sure you don't overload the circuit going to the pedestal. Rather than the cord sold by CW I prefer this one: Progressive cheater because it has two 30A cords rather than a 30 and a 20. Using a 30A to 20A adapter on one leg you have the option of selecting which "side" of your RV gets the 30A and which gets the 20A. Depending on what A/C's and other appliances you want to run this can be helpful. We used a cheater for over a month last summer and occasionally had to change which circuits were wired to which side depending on what we wanted to use.

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/braking system
WiFiRanger Ambassador/RVParkReviews administrator
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> 50 amp Adapter ??
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Motorhome Magazine | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS