Motorhome Magazine Open Roads Forum: Class A Motorhomes: Rivering on steer tire
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Rivering on steer tire

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Next
Sponsored By:
The Texan

Cascade, Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 03/01/13 09:23am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This is the best photo I ever saw that shows the "rivering wear" that will develop on a Goodyear G670 steer tire.

Bob & Betsy(FishNFanatic) - USN Aviation Ret'd '78 & LEO Ret'd '03 & "Oath Keeper Forever"
'05 HR Endeavor 40PRQ, 400 Cummins-Pulling our '11 Silverado LT, Ex Cab 6.2L NHT 4x4, w/2010 Rzr or 2007 Grizzly 450 in back.
Where the wheels are stopped today

Galvanizd

Mogollon Rim For a bit.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/01/13 09:27am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That looks exactly like the two steer tires I changed out in August last year . Mine were G670 goodyears. 2nd set (and last set) that did that to me.

dbbls

Missouri

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/01/13 09:28am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've never seen a tire wear like that. Is that caused by misalignment?

2011 F-350 CC Lariat 4X4 Dually Diesel
2012 Big Country 3450TS 5th Wheel

Galvanizd

Mogollon Rim For a bit.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/01/13 09:39am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Don, that wear seems to be on Class A rv's using G670 Goodyears. Its a tire made for rv's. Some have used them for years with no problems. Alot, too many I think, have had this happen. Many of us have spoken to Goodyear reps, gotten alignments, checked the ride height etc and still it happens. Doesn't start right away but usually in the 2nd or 3 rd year and the fix that many have said is to overinflate and rotate the tires. Lotsa info on the web.

RckyMtnVia

Colorado

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/01/13 10:02am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Looks just like my G670 Goodyear front tires before I replaced them with Michelin XZA-2 Energy.

2013 Winnebago Via 25T
2002 Jeep Liberty Sport (Occasionally)

wny_pat

Western NYS

View Profile

Posted: 03/01/13 10:08am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dbbls wrote:

I've never seen a tire wear like that. Is that caused by misalignment?

AKA:
"Erosion Wear
What's Happening-
This condition happens most frequently in free rolling wheel positions and is typical of tires with a slow rate of wear. The longer a tire operates, the more likely it will develop this condition. This condition is not linked to any maintenance practices.

Probable Causes-
The cause of this condition is tread element movement laterally, but it is not seen as a major problem since the tread on the tire is wearing so slowly and the accumulated mileage on the tread will be so great.

Corrective Action-
Continue to run tire."

Source: http://www.kaltire.com/commercial/truck/tire-wear-conditions/

Have seen this condition on steer Class 8, over the road, and regional, tractor tires dating way back into the 1970s. And it is not limited to just Goodyear.

“All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware.”

imgoin4it

Alamogordo, NM USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/01/13 10:58am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have seen this before. Everyone I saw was on a spartan chassis and it needed an allignment. Even when a front end allignment was done it was not done to Spartan Specs which require that the ride height be adjusted to spec befor ethe allignment is attempted. There are not a lot of shops or people that know how to do it correctly.

Retired and loving it
Living in the Land of Enchantment
Traveling in 2007 Newmar KSDP
towing a Jeep Liberty
with a Blue Ox tow bar

Ivylog

Blairsville, GA and WPB, FL.

View Profile

Posted: 03/01/13 11:04am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Tires with decoupling groves just inside of the outside edges do not have this problem. You can just see it in this picture on the right edge. You would think GY would add this small grove to the G670 tires. Yes, I know they know more about it than I do, but I made sure my Firestone steer tires had this grove and while not enough miles yet (12K), I cannot see any uneven wear.

This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.

04 Monaco Dynasty 42' quad slide
Where am I?
How I tow.

The Texan

Cascade, Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 03/01/13 11:05am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Happens on any chassis, mine happened on a Roadmaster chassis. That particular picture is of a class 8 OTR tractor, that had all the specs checked and rechecked to make sure there was nothing out of whack. It was a Goodyear tire.

down home

south

View Profile

Posted: 03/01/13 11:11am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

talked with goodyear and others and all the bull. had coach alignment done and redone because they said it was cause. said light weight of coaches on front axle; on a tire designed for an rv was the cause.
the design is faulty. put on michelins and several thousand miles later still fine.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Rivering on steer tire
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Motorhome Magazine | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS