Motorhome Magazine Open Roads Forum: Class A Motorhomes: Tires, 29580r22.5/16 ply
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Tires, 29580r22.5/16 ply

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
mytime

Winter Snowbird-somewhere

View Profile

Posted: 12/05/12 12:20pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm hung up on this Tire Situation Now., My tires are about 7yrs Old, look good and no cracking or checking, thread a plenty. I have the GY G670 which came new on the Coach.
I have been working with the Michelin XZA-2 through FMCA, But have read lots of reports about side wall cracks, as early as 12mos/18mos. Not too happy about this. I do want an American Made Tire, no Chinese..
Have looked at Bridgestone? Really Confused as what to purchase. I need 8 Tires so that is a big purchase. I need help, someone that has experience in the Tire Business. Someone that has recently purchased? Give me some feed back, including cost. Bridgestone in the 295x80R22.5 is 715.00 out the door. Not Cheep

2007 Country Coach, Allure 470, 42',ISL Cummins 400, TV- 2011 Chevy Silverado, Blackhawk and Brakemaster.

modesto

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/05/12 12:39pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I went with OTR tires, Bridgestone R280 The only thing i had to drop to a 75 in lieu of the 80 series. These tires have been great a little over two years and 30,000 miles no complaints. I want you to put something on good so when i buy that coach from you in two years i don't have to worry about it.3708

robatthelake

Vancouver Island

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/05/12 12:40pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The Best deal that I have found on Made in USA Tires was Continental . I have them on the Front of My Coach. They cost about 2/3 the price of Michelins .

I have just installed Double Coin Traction Tires on the Rears as They came highly recommended by Several Truckers and Kal Tire Store here at Home.I will be watching them very carefully because they are Chinese made, but are a very well known Brand.

There are several "Other" Brands that are currently MOT/DOT Approved coming out of China these Days.

Truck Tires used on Motorhomes get far less abuse than when fitted to an 18+ Wheeler. They definitely Age Out before they wear out.

Rob & Jean
98 Dutch Star Diesel Pusher ..07 Honda CRV AWD

mdprince

Santa Clarita, CA

View Profile

Posted: 12/05/12 01:17pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mytime wrote:

I'm hung up on this Tire Situation Now., My tires are about 7yrs Old, look good and no cracking or checking, thread a plenty. I have the GY G670 which came new on the Coach.
I have been working with the Michelin XZA-2 through FMCA, But have read lots of reports about side wall cracks, as early as 12mos/18mos. Not too happy about this. I do want an American Made Tire, no Chinese..
Have looked at Bridgestone? Really Confused as what to purchase. I need 8 Tires so that is a big purchase. I need help, someone that has experience in the Tire Business. Someone that has recently purchased? Give me some feed back, including cost. Bridgestone in the 295x80R22.5 is 715.00 out the door. Not Cheep

I'm in roughly the same situation. GY G670 295/80R22.5 came with the coach, still look brand new, lot's of tread, BUT - have hit the 7 year mark. I have them inspected 2 times a year but am ready to replace them - before our next trip.

I''ve been doing research, reading the opinions on this forum, called the manufacturer yesterday and the chassis manufacturer just now.

Coach manufacturer said that typically they do not specify the tire and leave that up to the Chassis Co. Chassis manufacturer confirmed this - with the exception of special requests by the buyer. However, they use either GY or Michelin. The CSA's first response to me was to stick with the same tire size and manufacturer (GY), but after discussing for a few more minutes, said that as long as Michelin made the same size tire with the same specs, either one would be fine.

We also discussed a larger tire, but I won't go into that here.

I know the subject of tires is very opinionated and passionate here on the forum and for good reason. I've done my do diligence and will now check prices and see if that FMCA deal is still happening.

JMHO

2006 Revolution LE 40E
2004 Jeep Rubicon Toad/Brake Buddy or
20' Toy Trailer/Quads 'n Dirt Bikes

Don Don

Pleasant Grove, AL {Suburb of Birmingham}

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/05/12 01:29pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If the Goodyears have gave you great service ands sounds like they have, why not go back to them?
Seems simple to me.

Ivylog

Blairsville, GA and WPB, FL.

View Profile

Posted: 12/05/12 02:49pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OP, your CC is probably like the big Monaco's... heavy on the front axle (had to run 115 psi with 295's) so I went with a Firestone FS400 315/80/22.5 on the front several years ago. Only needed 75-80 psi in the rear 295's so found some Hankook 11R22.5 for $350 sevearl months ago. The 11R has a lower load rating, but on the back I did not need as much as a 295 has. I now have to run 105 front, 95 drive, and 85 tag for my weights and I'm on the heavy side. My coach came with Goodyear Marathon tires made in Germany and unfortunately they are no longer made as after 10 years (they were 02's) I could not find a single crack inside or out and I actually put them on the back of the 10 wheel dump truck I own as they looked better than the recaps that were on it. While I somewhat agree with the replace by 7 years especially if you have not put all of the miles on them, I was actually tempted to go longer but with another use for them and the price of tires going up monthly... why not.
Once you put bigger tires on the front there is no reason to run 295s on the rear and 11Rs are very very close to the same diameter. The $350 price for Hankooks (made in Korea) was on Ebay last month, but I do not find it now and the best price I've found is these Generals for $448 in TN.

This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.

04 Monaco Dynasty 42' quad slide
Where am I?
How I tow.

mytime

Winter Snowbird-somewhere

View Profile

Posted: 12/05/12 03:53pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I know the subject of tires is very opinionated and passionate here on the forum and for good reason. I've done my do diligence and will now check prices and see if that FMCA deal is still happening.

The FMCA Deal is still in effect, but based on the price on their web site, that does not include state and fed tax and mounting, the price will go well over 800. per tire., about the same as for the GY G670.
There are some kooky sizes, like llR/12R etc. that confuse the issue.
The Tire that I am leaning towards is the Bridgestone, and they too have the 295/80r/22.5 at about 700 installed, I have not priced the 11Ror 12R in the Bridgestone.
Just wonder if anyone is running the 12R in the place of the 295, it is a little taller than the 295, about 1.2"., don't know if that would effect anything or not., maybe someone will answer. Marvin

PandK

Greenville, SC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/05/12 04:12pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just went through the same scenario. Went with the Michelin ZXA3+ LRH to replace Goodyear's G670RV. My experience with the Goodyear tire was bad at best, cant say enough bad about them. Coach came with Michelin's and after a lot of research decided to go back to them. FMCA discount help considerably.
JMO

On edit - the Michelin's were made in Canada.

* This post was edited 12/05/12 04:33pm by PandK *

Paul and Karla
Cinnamon & Pequeno - Spoiled Rotten Chihauhuas
2004 Rexhall Rexair DP3955
2013 Chevy Traverse

keepingthelightson

Santa Clarita, Ca

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/05/12 04:14pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I replaced my GY's (couldn"t wait) had rivering issues and very uncomfortable. I decided to go with Yokohamas 295x75x22.5 16ply. I am very pleased with these tires.

Good luck

05 Tiffin Phaeton 40 QDH w/4 slides
CAT C7 350+ HP MP-8, Aero Muffler, AFE Filter
06 HHR LT Toad
Ready Brute Elite

DSDP Don

Moorpark, Ca

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/05/12 04:33pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I try to buy American when I can, but I also don't like being bent over by American companies, because they can! A LOT of what you buy, thinking that it's American, is built somewhere else. One day here and another day there. I stuck with the GoodYears on my coach when one of the front tires had a sidewall separation. I bought two more GoodYears. When it came time for the rear, I went with the same GoodYears.

A few months ago, I had another tread separation and rivering issues with the front GoodYears. They didn't care, so neither do I. I did my research and actually spoke privately with a couple of people about the tires they bought, so that there was no pressure to justify thier purchase in a public forum and found that people were happy with the Hankooks. I replaced the front two with the Hankook AH-12's. They're a good looking tire, handle as good or better than the GoodYears and are SMOOTH.

As I put more miles on them (6000), they got smoother. I thought I was imagining things, but others later stated that they found the same thing. For the first time ever, I used beads instead of spin balancing and they ride great.

Soooooo....don't get hung with the buy American when the only difference is that they're built/sold here charge a fortune and then shipped overseas for a lot less. The excuse for more expensive tires is the cost of oil.....I bought GoodYears built two years apart and they went up almost $200.00 per tire in a flat economy...So I guess that means that they now have TWO more barrels of oil in them....maybe I can squeeze that back out of the old tires.

Don & Mary
2014 Newmar Dutch Star 4018
450 Cummins
2012 Chevrolet Silverado LTZ CrewCab 4WD
2013 Polaris RZR 800 LE

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Tires, 29580r22.5/16 ply
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Motorhome Magazine | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS