Motorhome Magazine Open Roads Forum: Roadtrek introduces the RS E-TREK
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class B - Camping Van Conversi...

Open Roads Forum  >  Class B - Camping Van Conversions  >  General Topics

> Roadtrek introduces the RS E-TREK

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 16  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/29/12 08:34pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

According to the Roadtrek president, he personally tested the batteries and A/C and ran the A/C on the batteries for 15 hours and they were at 50%. The solar panels only require daylight, not direct sunlight. The heat and hot water are electric. There is no generator option because the engine has been designed to work as a generator if needed. They seem to know exactly what they are striving for here and have put a lot into the development of the E-Trek, with as they are saying "proprietary" technology and systems that they plan to closely protect. So there can be a lot of second guessing and doubt, but they are ready to prove these claims when this model goes to the dealers and their customers. Of course, there has been no mention of price yet...

Roadtrek 190 Popular 2011

Meryl and Me Hit the Road

lfloom

Pasadena

View Profile

Posted: 09/29/12 09:15pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Intriguing. I wouldnt want to be the first kid on my black to own one, but then I am not the first adopter type. But, in a few years , when we are thinking we might get a B, this might be great.

loving retirement

SF Bay Area

View Profile

Posted: 09/30/12 12:24am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Davydd wrote:

H345 wrote:

The problem I have with this unit is the bath placement , as it blocks the view of the outdoor picnic / patio area . If the bath and wardrobe were placed on the drivers side , the galley and seating area would have a great view .

There appears to be nothing innovative about the plan layout. It is signature Roadtrek. You either like it or you don't and Roadtrek apparently is not going to change what has worked so far for them. Me?...it is the worst plan of all and copied by a few other converters. Besides what you mentioned about blocking the view, the orientation is wrong for campsites and I have never figured out why anyone would put up with the fridge on the floor and the microwave under the counter.

Contrary to what they say in the 2nd video I don't see anything innovative nor new about this floor plan. To me it looks like a copy from the older standard RS model. Two features I hate are the lower fridge and microwave. In a 24 foot model you should be able to get the fridge and microwave off the floor

Davydd

Minnesota

View Profile

Posted: 09/30/12 07:11am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I didn't think you could protect ideas. Unless Roadtrek is manufacturing the electrical systems and not just putting together systems created by other companies there seems to be nothing proprietary.

Davydd
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter B Camper Van
Visited states in an RV

McZippie

USA

View Profile

Posted: 09/30/12 01:10pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

1775 wrote:

According to the Roadtrek president, he personally tested the batteries and A/C and ran the A/C on the batteries for 15 hours and they were at 50%. The solar panels only require daylight, not direct sunlight. ...

"at 50%" that's a silly test.

The A/C would need to be set at a low setting to run 15 hours from a battery bank even with help from the solar panels.
It's a "silly test" because, during hot weather when an A/C is required for cooling, it's usually set at full power. At best the A/C could run for a few hours at full power from battery bank/solar panels.

We run a high tech split-unit semi-truck sleeper cab 13,000 BTU A/C in our rig, the manufacturer also makes fantastic claims about running it on batteries and solar.
Real world experience from myself and Truckers; can't carry enough batteries and solar panels to run it on high settings for very long in hot weather.
When the full spec's are listed for A/C btu, amps, battery bank size solar panels, I'll run the math to calculate hours A/C can run on high setting.

I like the Rig a lot!.. but marketing the E-TREK as a 'green' environmentally responsible RV, is more silly nonsense from Roadtrek.

Running the Diesel engine to recharge the batteries rather than using traditional generator/LP is only shifting to different fuels.
The solar panels add very little to reduce overall fossil fuel usage.
And bio diesel is pretty much a boondoogle joke.

We use the same concepts in our small Rig linked below.
An all diesel/electric one fuel vehicle, without the need for shore power.
All works fine, EXCEPT for the A/C on hot days, then need a generator along to run it.

* This post was last edited 10/05/12 04:45am by McZippie *   View edit history

2009 Ford E350 Diesel Cutaway Limo Bus
2010 Jeep JKU Rubicon (Toad)
1942 Bantam T3 Trailer

loving retirement

SF Bay Area

View Profile

Posted: 09/30/12 02:29pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In the video they stressed that the counters in the RS-E are made from a paper product. I believe what they are talking about was called "Formica" back in the 1950's & 60's. It was an inexpensive material used to cover kitchen counters instead of more expensive products such as tile or granite. Some problems with this thin material are hot pans can permanently burn the surface, can be scratched and corners can chip or peel away if hit. For an RV that may cost $125k I would expect a better product on any counter surface and I hope this product does not become the counter surface for other Roadtrek models.

loving retirement

SF Bay Area

View Profile

Posted: 09/30/12 02:32pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

loving retirement wrote:

In the video they stressed that the counters in the RS-E are made from an environmentally friendly paper product. I believe what they are talking about was called "Formica" back in the 1950's & 60's. It was an inexpensive material used to cover kitchen counters instead of more expensive products such as tile or granite. Some problems with this thin material are hot pans can permanently burn the surface, can be scratched and corners can chip or peel away if hit. For an RV that may cost $125k I would expect a better product on any counter surface and I hope this product does not become the counter surface for other Roadtrek models.

H345

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 09/30/12 06:49pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I do not see anything proprietary in nature or any patent protected process . Roadtrek is doing what every other RV manufacturer does , they purchase and assemble products made by others .

Any company or an individual could purchase the components that they desire , including the MB Sprinter chassis , and build a Class B unit .

GypsyLost

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 09/30/12 08:25pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm looking forward to seeing how this vehicle turns out. Will it be perfect? Not expecting it to be. I do like, a lot, of what I am seeing....so far. Unfortunately, I don't have a biodiesel station anywhere within 40 miles, of my house. Does anyone know if you can put regular diesel in a bio diesel designed vehicle?

* This post was edited 09/30/12 09:06pm by an administrator/moderator *

Atlee

Mechanicsville, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/30/12 08:40pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Am I to assume an E-Trek owner will run the diesel engine nearly 36 hours in order to generate enough electrical power to run the AC for nearly 36 hours?

I've had to run my Onan that long at one stretch in order to run my AC for that period of time. It gets hot and humid in Atlanta over Labor Day weekend.

H345 wrote:

Several companies are engineering Class B units that use state of the art equipment . Diesel engines with additional alternators / generators to recharge battery banks while driving , solar panels to recharge while driving or sitting still , hydronic heating of water and floors powered by diesel or electric , magnetic cooking surfaces that have no open flame or hot elements to injure children or pets , AGM battery banks that will last longer than your tires or other traditional components , dual pane insulated glass that deadens sound and adds privacy , and
electric refrigerators that will actually freeze ice cream and keep beer cold .

When you subtract the weight of the propane tank and other propane equipment and plumbing , you have an RV that is similar in weight , but better balanced front to rear and side to side . The exterior of the van is also free of the misc cutouts and fittings in the body panels for a stealthy and cleaner look .

Advanced RV will have a vehicle on display at the RV Super Show in Tampa January 16 2013 .

Erroll, Mary, Duffy the Badger Dog plus "Ollie"
"The Traveling Koala"
2012 Koala 21CS
2005 F150 Supercab 4x4, w/ 5.4L
And Equal-i-zer WDH/Sway Control

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 16  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class B - Camping Van Conversions  >  General Topics

> Roadtrek introduces the RS E-TREK
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class B - Camping Van Conversi...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Motorhome Magazine | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS