Motorhome Magazine Open Roads Forum: Smart car towing its own trailer. .
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Smart car towing its own trailer. .

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
John & Angela

Full Timers in Canada, USA and Mexico

View Profile

Posted: 09/03/12 08:18pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not sure if this should be under the Toads forum or not. Move if necessary. This weeks project was to make the necessary changes to allow the smart car to tow its own trailer. I had to put the hitch on for the smart car tent trailer anyway. The rest was minor additions, second drop stinger with the right size ball, tow chain changes, plug adaptor etc.

Hope this works. i am using FLICKR as the host.

I am not intending on towing this on the highway much but I sometimes have to move it within campgrounds. Trailer weighs 450 pounds and hitch weight is around 50 pounds.

And one more in its intended usage.

2003 Revolution 40C Class A. 2002 Vanguard 22 foot Class C. Diesel smart car as a Toad on a smart car trailer or pulling a 2009 Timeout Tent Trailer.

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

othertonka

Stockton, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/03/12 08:36pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think you are SMART. Having a way to move the trailer around when you get to the RV park without having to manhandle it is worth all the trouble. There is another thread on the forum about hauling all his toys in a trailer behind his MH and not knowing what to do with the trailer when he gets to camp or how to move it empty. This might give him an idea. I like it. But since I have never driven a smart car, I have no idea how much power they have but am sure it would be able to move that trailer around the camp. Nice job, did you make the trailer?

Othertonka
2004 Southwind 32VS 8.1 Workhorse chassis
2002 CRV Toad
U. S. Gear Unified brake system
Retired Fire Captain, SFD

Goldencrazy

madison wi

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/03/12 08:37pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

John, Great idea for moving it around. Is that the same trailer you started with? I thought you had a trailer for two Smarts that you purchased from the shop in Florida or maybe I am confused. I like that trailer. Very low profile with ramps as protection from the rear. I would love to see your Smart Car Tent trailer.

John & Angela

View Profile

Posted: 09/03/12 08:41pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

othertonka wrote:

I think you are SMART. Having a way to move the trailer around when you get to the RV park without having to manhandle it is worth all the trouble. There is another thread on the forum about hauling all his toys in a trailer behind his MH and not knowing what to do with the trailer when he gets to camp or how to move it empty. This might give him an idea. I like it. But since I have never driven a smart car, I have no idea how much power they have but am sure it would be able to move that trailer around the camp. Nice job, did you make the trailer?

No. The trailer is a Kendon Smart car trailer made in Anaheim.
Re power. Smart cars don't have a lot of it but enough to do the job. The diesels have less horsepower and more torque and the gasses are of course just the opposite. The diesels have an extra gear (6) though which makes it manageable.

* This post was edited 09/03/12 08:52pm by John & Angela *

John & Angela

View Profile

Posted: 09/03/12 08:50pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Goldencrazy wrote:

John, Great idea for moving it around. Is that the same trailer you started with? I thought you had a trailer for two Smarts that you purchased from the shop in Florida or maybe I am confused. I like that trailer. Very low profile with ramps as protection from the rear. I would love to see your Smart Car Tent trailer.

Well here is a picture of a setup unit.

and here is the ready to roll unit.

The pictures were stolen from the previous owner. It is a 2009. its primary use will be Kayak transport and overnighters in small provincial and state parks. Yah I know I am going to have to paint it.

chevyman2

missouri

View Profile

Posted: 09/03/12 08:52pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OH WOW!!! You can get a Smart car with diesel power? I did not know that. (Or did I missunderstand the last post)?

Anyway, I do like those pics. I see no reason why you couldnt move the empty trailer with the Smart. You could likely hit the freeway with that Smart pulling the empty trailer. It is nice though.

Tim-DW(Kathy)
12 Chevy Sonic DD, 03 JEEP GRAND CHEROKEE, 2001 Jayco KIWI
If a "nightmare" is considered a dream-then I am living the dream

John & Angela

View Profile

Posted: 09/03/12 08:56pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

chevyman2 wrote:

OH WOW!!! You can get a Smart car with diesel power? I did not know that. (Or did I missunderstand the last post)?

Anyway, I do like those pics. I see no reason why you couldnt move the empty trailer with the Smart. You could likely hit the freeway with that Smart pulling the empty trailer. It is nice though.

Diesels are not available in the US. Canada has a bunch but are also now discontinued in Canada. Europe has gazillions of them. Great mileage. If we keep it 55 or under we routinely get 70 plus US mpg.

The new generation SMART CDI's (2010 and later) get incredible mileage (mid 80's) but are only available in Europe and Great Britain.

FIRE UP

Lake Havasu City AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/03/12 10:48pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

John & Angela,
I dig Smart Cars. The DW and the Kids (both grown and gone) are not all in favor of them. We pull our Honda Goldwing motorcycle alongside them at a stop light and we're actually longer then they are. But, I have a question for you, are not the Smarts flat towable? I thought I've seen many flat towed. I knew they made the diesel model and that it WAS only available in Canada. IMAGINE THAT, a car that gets phenomenal gas mileage and the U.S. won't let it in the country until it's classified as a "used car". Hmmmmmmm

I'd have one (either gas or diesel) in a heart beat. I like high gas mileage cars. I should have kept my VW beetle Diesel, talk about great gas mileage. Anyway your setup looks way cool. I have one more question for you. Where your motor home is parked, is that an RV park or is that your home and you have that special place for your RV. Man, that is one fine looking area for the RV. I really like that.
Scott

P.S. I like your tent trailer too. We're looking for one to tow behind our Goldwing.

Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
2004 Itasca Horizon, 36GD Slate Blue 330 CAT
2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 4x4 Toad
2008 Caliente Red LVL II GL 1800 Goldwing
KI60ND

ArchHoagland

Clovis, CA, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/03/12 11:07pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

X2 what Fire Up asked about your home???? Looks nice.

2004 Monaco La Palma 36DBD
Workhorse W22 8.1 Gas Allison 1000, 7.1 mpg

2000 LEXUS RX300 FWD 22MPG 4020 LBS
US Gear Brakes

gotsmart

Aberdeen, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/03/12 11:20pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

..and to flat tow a smart all that is needed is one of these $15 battery disconnect switches (per the owners manual). That's it. At only 1,800 lbs (US) they are very easy to tow.

2005 Cruise America 28R (Four Winds 28R) on a 2004 Ford E450 SD 6.8L V10 4R100
2009 smart fortwo Passion with Roadmaster "Falcon 2" towbar & tail light kit - pictures

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Smart car towing its own trailer. .
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Motorhome Magazine | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS