Motorhome Magazine Open Roads Forum: Paint Job at Navarro's in Los Algodones, Mexico
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Paint Job at Navarro's in Los Algodones, Mexico

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
K&M

Western USA

View Profile

Posted: 09/01/12 10:48pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We had our 37' Class A Tradewinds motorhome painted by Navarro's back in 2006. They did an excellent job - and 6 years later the paint still looks great.

They gave us a quote of $4500 to remove the old decals, sand down the gelcoat, apply a 3-color paint job, and 2 coats of clearcoat. Part way through the sanding process they discovered some bad fiberglass repair work that had been done by a California shop. They repaired it, as well as several other minor fixes, and didn't charge us any extra for the extra services.

They said that the paint job should take about 2 to 3 weeks, but since it was done over the holidays (a slow time for their shop) they managed to finish it in 11 days.

The two brothers that own the shop take very good care of their customers. We stayed in Yuma while they did the work, and stopped by every other day to watch the progress. We were always welcome and were kept informed of things like the additional fiberglass work that was needed.

They may not have done all of the prep work that some shops do - I've heard people talk about getting all of the window moldings or caulk removed and replaced as part of a top-notch paint job. Navarro's only masked off the windows and molding, but we couldn't find any place where there was overspray on the molding or caulking (they probably would have stripped and re-caulked it had we asked them to). There are also a couple of places around the slideout that have since peeled, about 1/4" x 3" of paint is now missing from these two spots.

So, the job wasn't perfect (what paint job of this size is?), but for the money it cost we were thrilled with the results.

As for safety, we still go to Los Algodones to this day for our dental, optical, and prescription needs. Its a small town, and we feel safer there than in any large city in the U.S. (just as we feel safer in the smaller towns in the U.S.).

K&M

rchonly

Kingman, Arizona, USA

View Profile

Posted: 09/01/12 09:02am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

John & Angela wrote:

rchonly wrote:

Are you sure that quote is in US Dollars and not Pesos?

The current exchange rate of US/Peso is 13.388 pesos to the US $.

Roger

I would think its dollars Roger as a 40 foot A class can easily come in over 15K (dollars)

Oops, I mis-read his original post as being quoted at $20 to $30,000 from the Navarro's shop in Algodones.

My 28th mistake this month, this is what happens when we get old and fuzzy.

I think he will be very pleased with the quote he gets from Navarro's.

All the work I've ever had done, from dental in Algodones to RV repairs in Mulege and Santo Tomas, Baja, Mexico has been good and the prices even better with the exchange rate.

1991 - 38" American Eagle - 8.3 Cummin's w/Allison 4spd
(Purchased 4-15-10 w/5,600 miles on it)
99 Dodge Durango/SLT 4X4 - Toad

J-Rooster

Port Orchard, Wa. / Lake Havasu City, Az.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/31/12 06:44pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

tahiti16 wrote:

danorske wrote:

quote "So obviously my concerns would be: Safe place."

So I guess that rules out this place as there is NO safe place in Mexico.

There are plenty of safe places in Mexico as well as bad places to be! Gee pretty much sounds like the USA! Plenty of places in US, especially large metro areas, that you don't want to hang around. Especially with a big expensive looking motorhome!
X-2, I'm going there this winter to have some dental work done. And I'm going over to check out the paint shop. Just got my new Enhanced Drivers License last week way cheaper than a Passport.

John & Angela

Full Timers in Canada, USA and Mexico

View Profile

Posted: 08/31/12 06:51pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

First of all don't sweat the safety thing. No more of an issue there than any where else in the southwest. Way too much propaganda on this issue.

We have one friend and one aquaintance who had work done there. The A class turned out freakin excellent. The C looked good too but the type of fiberglass didn't lend itself to as much gloss. Don't skimp on the clear coat. They work on reputation so they are very accomodating.

It you do decide to do it please post before and after pictures. We are considering getting our little C done but again I am not sure the filon would lend itself to the high gloss finish. We will probably at least get an estimate but wait till after our alaska trip.

2003 Revolution 40C Class A. 2002 Vanguard 22 foot Class C. Diesel smart car as a Toad on a smart car trailer or pulling a 2009 Timeout Tent Trailer.

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

rchonly

Kingman, Arizona, USA

View Profile

Posted: 08/31/12 07:09pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Roger

John & Angela

Full Timers in Canada, USA and Mexico

View Profile

Posted: 08/31/12 07:38pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rchonly wrote:

Roger

I would think its dollars Roger as a 40 foot A class can easily come in over 15K (dollars)

justlou

Northern, Illinois

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/31/12 03:00pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Check out Precision Paint in Bremen Indiana. A friend just had his coach painted there and is very satisfied. The price was well below $20,000.

justlou
2006 Monaco Diplomat
2004 Saturn Vue Toad

Fishinghat

Western Washington, USA

View Profile

Posted: 08/31/12 03:03pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A good friend had his Jeep repainted there and they did a very good job. I'd give it a 9.5 out of 10. My friend and I saw a Class A being repainted and it looked fair to good, but that was because the owner wanted a real strange paint job. Another coach was painted there a few months earlier and I took quite a number of photos of the finished job. It was very good, or maybe a 8.5 or 9 out of 10. The owner didn't want to pay for having the sides of the cargo bay doors painted or some other options, but what was done was very good. The charge was $5,000 and this was about three years ago, maybe four. Most of the labor is in removing the old paint and preparing the surface. He uses American made paint, with your choice of brand and colors.

Like I tried to explain, the finished product won't look quite as good as when it came out of the factory, but will look almost as good, especially from a distance of 10 feet or more. He has a paint booth to keep your coach out of the dust. You can stay in your coach at night, but a guard dog is loose to protect the property, so you have to stay inside.

Holiday Rambler Navigator DP, Hummer, and Honda VT1100C Shadow

FIRE UP

Lake Havasu City AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/31/12 04:29pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Flick,
If you can, try and find a thread posted by Jim@hitek about getting his rig painted in Mexico. He did a "blow by blow" accounting of how it was done, with the good points and bad. He was there to watch the whole thing I think. He did a great posting of what he liked and disliked. There were/are a lot of pictures that went along with that post/thread.
Scott

Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
2004 Itasca Horizon, 36GD Slate Blue 330 CAT
2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 4x4 Toad
2008 Caliente Red LVL II GL 1800 Goldwing
KI60ND

tahiti16

Camarillo, CA

View Profile

Posted: 08/31/12 06:35pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

danorske wrote:

quote "So obviously my concerns would be: Safe place."

So I guess that rules out this place as there is NO safe place in Mexico.

There are plenty of safe places in Mexico as well as bad places to be! Gee pretty much sounds like the USA! Plenty of places in US, especially large metro areas, that you don't want to hang around. Especially with a big expensive looking motorhome!

Ray, Cheryl & of course Miss Molly the four-legged child

2006 Dolphin 36' F53 V10 5 speed auto 2 slides 7.5 KW genset

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Paint Job at Navarro's in Los Algodones, Mexico
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Motorhome Magazine | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS