Motorhome Magazine Open Roads Forum: Class A Motorhomes: FMCA Worth joining
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> FMCA Worth joining

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Daveinet

il

View Profile

Posted: 07/16/12 06:38am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

docj wrote:

Frankly, the only reason we belong to FMCA is because you can't be a member of an FMCA chapter, like the Beaver club, without first being a member of FMCA. It's a slick scam that FMCA has perpetrated to keep its membership up, although I heard from one of its officers that it is losing members at the rate of ~500/month.
Actually the reason those chapters are part of FMCA has to do with liability insurance for rallies. Without the large group rate that FMCA gets, rally insurance would be cost prohibitive. Yes, it is unfortunate, and for us, it actually prevents many Revcon owners from joining, because they do not care about FMCA and don't want to pay the extra to join, which then precludes them from being Revconeer members. I'm sure the Revconeer chapter would double without the FMCA requirement.

Dave

The Flying Fortress
FMCA F298817
'83 Revcon Prince 31' FWD
502 w/Howell/GM 16197427 ECM/Edelbrock MPFI,Thorley's & Magnaflows,
4L85E 4 speed, KoniFSD,
6% grade = wanna drag?
MISC photos
Revconeers Forum

Ault

Fort Walton Beach, Florida

View Profile

Posted: 07/16/12 06:47am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a class A and I am type A so we are members. 1st class outfit. We will be at FMCA rally next month. Learn a lot there and see some great RV stuff.

larry cad

ohio

View Profile

Posted: 07/16/12 08:02am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

workhardplayharder wrote:

larry cad wrote:

I can't join. They don't support my RV. I have a Class A and they only have Type A!

X2

Why does FMCA identify by "Type" and not the standard "Class"?

I wrote them a letter and asked that question. The answer is "political correctness". Apparently "class" is offensive to some at FMCA headquarters.

Today is my personal best for most consecutive days alive.

Our Travel Blog

larry cad

ohio

View Profile

Posted: 07/16/12 08:05am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ault wrote:

I have a class A and I am type A so we are members. 1st class outfit. We will be at FMCA rally next month. Learn a lot there and see some great RV stuff.

ryanallie1

Magalia, Calif

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/16/12 07:06am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi All.

Over the years as RV'ers we have had just about everything that is out there. Some people won't agree about FMCA, and think Good Sam's ERS is better.

We had that also. To be honest, we have never had to use any of them. As we have never had a "Flate Tire" or a "Blow-Out" of have ever "Broken Down" in the 45+ years as RV'ers.

We even have "Free" ERS from our Insurance Comapny that covers our Motorhome, and everything else we drive is covered as well.

But just reading all the complaints about any ERS, from any of them, FMCA seems to be the Best of the Best.

We also have had AAA ERS for about 40 years now, so DW won't get rid of it. Then we have "Free" ERS though our Insurance Company. And we also have FMCA ERS also.

One thing is for sure, we sure are covered in case we ever do need the ERS.

Just our 2 cents worth. But after talking to great lenghts with both Good Sams EWRS and FMCA's ERS, we found that FMCA is a lot easier to deal with, and will take all the time that you want, until you are satified.

We also like the Book that FMCA puts out and the information that they provide. Another "Huge" concideration, is that FMCA doesns't mail you a ton of advertizing and Junk Mail.

Remember, its just ouur 2 cents worth. But will continue to keep FMCA, as we feel it is in our best interest, and for our Motorhome as well.

Is it worth it ?. We think so, but each to their own choices.

Good Luck. Happy Travels. Dan & Jill

1998-33.5 Rexhall, Rexair SL. 460 EFI. F-53. 7.3 MPG. TST TPMS. HWH Levelers. 5.5G Gen. Convection/Microwave Water Purifier/Water Softner. 2 A/C's. Alarm Systems. Honda EU2000i's W/Kit. Steer-Safe. CR-V W/SMI System. FMCA #F414397 Nam-Vet, 66-67-68&70-71

SpurHntr

Northeast PA

View Profile

Posted: 07/16/12 06:49am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Agree it is "worth it"

As mentioned, the Michelin advantage tire program alone has made me a believer

And as a short attention span reader the magazine isn't bad either

'08 Newmar Kountry Star 3916, 400ISL Cummins
'11 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
'13 F350 SRW Crew 8'bed 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
'05 Cedar Creek Silverback 33lbhts
Blue Ox, BB, PP TPMS, BB Buggy, Ranger EV
FMCA 427040

wolfe10

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 07/16/12 09:06am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The liability Daveinet is talking about is the liability for large groups that rally planners incur (not that they should, but we are not going to change the litigious mentality in our country) AND protection for the venue from suit for personal injury, etc.

I will positively assure you, as Dianne and I are active in a large chapter and have planned and implemented rallies for up to 253 people that we would not expose ourselves to the liability AND CG's that host rallies require a liability policy before they will agree to host a rally. Both CG's and FMCA understand the procedure. We as rally hosts merely contact FMCA and they forward to the CG a copy of the policy. Been there, done that. No other organization provides that service.

In the scheme of expenses in owning a motorhome, $40 a year is not that huge a step. Will the benefits of membership (http://www.fmca.com/join-family-motor-coach-association/why-join-fmca.html) fit everyone-- of course not.

One very valuable part of FMCA is the learning experience that comes from attending a large convention. Look at the number of seminars at this summer's FMCA Convention in Indianapolis in August: http://www.fmca.com/conventions/indianap........-rv-seminars-fmca-indianapolis-2012.html

Brett Wolfe
1997 Safari Sahara 3540
EX: 1993 Foretravel 36' U-240

FMCA Forum: www.community.fmca.com/index

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

tgobob

Titusville, FL, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/16/12 08:33am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Daveinet states that liability insurance for rallies is the reason various organizations require FMCA membership as a condition of membership in their organization. I don't know what liability might be involved in a rally, but we have belonged to several RV groups, both FMCA related and non-FMCA related. We currently belong to 2 FMCA chapters and 1 non-FMCA group. There's no liability insurance involved in any of the rallies these groups have. I think this is misinformation.

tgobob
Titusville, FL
2003 Allegro Bus
350 HP Cummins ISC diesel engine
Freightliner chassis
Age is a state of mind. Think old and you are old. Think young and you're still old.

RVROSE

Chardon, OH

View Profile

Posted: 07/16/12 08:30am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I like being part of FMCA as well as Good Sam. I joined them both when we got into RVing in 1999 when we got our "A - level" motorhome. In the beginning there was a lot more information in the FMCA magazine than in Good Sam's. Lately, Good Sam is showing some improvement but is actually just a Camping World catalog with a few stories added. We have attended GLASS a couple of times and a couple of Good Sam rallies (in the state, not national) and had more fun with Good Sam. No campground has ever asked if I was a member of FMCA but I do get asked about Good Sam at most of them. However, if I had to choose one over the other, it would be FMCA. For the little it costs to join both, that's what we choose to do.

2005 Kountry Star with a 4 cyl. Saturn Vue with stick shift.
Mike and Rose and Pepper, our All-American black lap dog.

SaintsFan

Mobile, Alabama

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/16/12 08:11am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have been a member for several years and wasn't sure the membership was worth it. Well we just upgraded our motorhome and I was shopping for insurance. I had recently received an offer from FMCA about insurance so I thought I would give it a try. I received a quote from GMAC insurance for full replacement that was over a grand cheaper than any other quote. My initial reaction was that it was to good to be true and it wasn't a true apples to apples quote. So, I called GMAC and spent a hour discussing the coverage and price. Bottom line is I went with GMAC and will never question my membership again.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> FMCA Worth joining
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Motorhome Magazine | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS