Motorhome Magazine Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: Livin Lite Camplite owner - review/comments
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  Small TT's

> Livin Lite Camplite owner - review/comments

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Next
Sponsored By:
exploringcarolina

North Carolina

View Profile

Posted: 03/27/14 03:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Paid $10,000 for our new 11RD from a dealer. Ours is a basic camper, but the more we look at campers this camper is the one for us.

PM sent.

* This post was edited 03/27/14 03:36am by exploringcarolina *

Bill
CampLite 11RD
Nissan Frontier 4.0L/AT

drjenk

Auburn

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/26/14 11:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We'd love one of these trailers but at least in the Seattle area they are a bit higher priced it seems. I went to look at the 14dbs model , it was priced at $28,999. I asked what he could do about that price and I got the "well if we do something about that you'll have to eat it on the trade in, we can't have you eating apples while we eat onions" or some sort of jazz. I haven't tried to haggle with the Portland dealer yet but the sticker is set much the same. 16DBS was listed at $29,999. I can see a little premium over other brands due to the all aluminum construction, but it's a bit in the "ouch" range for me right now. May I ask what you all paid for your new ones?

Thanks
David J.

exploringcarolina

North Carolina

View Profile

Posted: 11/01/13 04:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Used to tow a 1000lb 2004 LTW Chalet A-Frame pop-up (low wind resistance) with a 1987 Toyota 2.4L 4 cylinder pickup getting 22 mpg @ 55MPH non mountain areas.

Towing the 1500lb CampLite 11RD with a 2003 2.4L 4 cylinder Tacoma @ 55MPH gets 16MPG non mountain areas.

Towing the CampLite with the 2013 4.0L automatic Frontier @ 55MPH gets 15MPG non-mountain areas. Fuel economy drops to 13MPG @ 65MPH with same TV.

It's easy to get into small sites with the CampLite 11RD or small pop-up that larger campers cannot get into.

This morning when leaving a small site on the ocean front @ Hunting Island SC, the easiest way to pull the camper out was to turn the camper "manually" 180 degrees on the site. Used two small pieces of plywood under the tongue wheel/jack. Took about 15 minutes to turn the 1500lb camper 180 degrees on sand and pine needles. That would be difficult with a larger and heavier camper.

Have been looking at larger CampLites & Fiberglass campers. For now will be keeping the CampLite 11RD.

We started transporting two bicycles inside the CampLite:

Best fuel cost this week $2.99 per gallon in SC. Earlier this week @ Hunting Island SC:

* This post was edited 11/01/13 06:02pm by exploringcarolina *

djsamuel

Clermont, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/29/13 08:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

exploringcarolina wrote:

djsamuel wrote:

We bought a Camplite 21BHS TT. We are extremely happy with it. Very comfortable, easy to tow. Took it to Fort Wilderness at Disney for a week in September and had several people come over to look at it. The only issues we have to get taken care of are a couple of scratches on cabinet doors, and a mis-cut refrigerator panel. There are no functional issues at all. I also like the aluminum roof and floor.

Are you towing with a 1500 or 2500 Dodge Pickup? Nice looking rig!

We checked out the Camplite 21BHS and 21RBS at a dealership. Really like the 21RBS since it's only two of us. Learned LivinLite offers optional spray on insulation on the bottom of the floor.

Just got back today from a camping trip @ Hunting Island State Park SC with the Camplite. Had several visitors looking at the CampLite this week.

Took this sun rise over the Atlantic this morning:

Took this shot out of the CampLite window yesterday before sun set:

Sorry I missed your post. I'm towing the 21BHS with a Ram 1500. Tows great. We also liked the 21RBS as well. But, my wife really liked the dinette, and having the bunks is a nice addition since our daughter is getting married in April. Then if her and her husband want to come along, we have room.

Picture of Our Trailer

Camplite 21BHS

BroncosFan

USA

View Profile

Posted: 10/29/13 08:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There are these in Henderson, Colorado your home state came to mind. People do the Aliner and 13 foot scamps with your car might be without the bath though to save weight. Take care.
http://www.weiscrafttrailers.com/index.html

Wanderoo

Lakewood

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/29/13 07:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thank you so much for everyone's feedback. I ran my calcs through the Changin' Gears weight calculator, and the max I should pull is 2,160 (20% margin). That just isn't going to give me enough leeway for adding gear, water, etc. I am VERY disappointed, as I want one of these Camping Lite trailers SO bad; however, I would rather be disappointed PRE-purchase than POST-purchase.

I'm going to take a 2nd look at the Quicksilver pop-ups, because I just love the idea of the aluminum concept.

Enjoy your new trailer! I'm envious.

Dbegno1

south louisiana

View Profile

Posted: 10/29/13 06:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just picked up my Livin Lite 6x15 toy hauler in Indiana and towed it back to Louisiana,I towed it with a 2007 Tundra(4.7 liter engine).

The Tundra didn't even feel it back there although the gas mileage plummeted from 17 mpg to 10.5 - 11 pulling it at 60 mph. The tall front wall just has too much wind resistance.I notice the newer toyhaulers have a more rounded front profile.

When I pull it with my Toyota T-100 (3.4 liter)I get around 13 mpg.

I have no regrets about the purchase, it is simply amazing!!!!
I would be hesitant to tow any trailer at close to the maximum towing vehicle capacity, don't forget the fact that you will be adding weight to the trailer with camping gear, water, etc.

I have no trouble opening and closing the tip out by myself, it helps to have a small step stool or ladder to make sure the tent is tucked in all around.It went through some severe rain while towing and haven't had any leaks.

mdf719

midwest

View Profile

Posted: 10/29/13 03:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

there is a web site called changin' gears- it has a calculator for finding the safe towing range. you will need to hunt up certain bits of information about your tow vehicle but that's not so hard- most can be found on the the brands web site.

you will need to account for the weight of your camping gear- sleeping bags, cookware, water, sewage, food, fuel etc.

jspringator

Versailles, KY 40383

View Profile

Posted: 10/29/13 03:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I really like Livin' Lite stuff, but the wind resistance of any upright trailer just kills gas mileage. It is hard to justify having such a small trailer when the payback in fuel economy isn't there.

Jim & Sherri
05 Jayco Eagle 308 FBS, Dual Cam
2001 Ford Excursion 4.30 LSD,V-10,2WD,RAS,5-Star tuner
Honda EU2000 & EU1000 gensets;
2000 watt Tripp-Lite inverter/charger APS 2012
Saturn SD365 inflatable, 15 hp 2 stroke Yamaha
"Scout" Springer Spaniel

BroncosFan

USA

View Profile

Posted: 10/29/13 02:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There is a pretty active livinlite forum at yahoogroups with good info.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  Small TT's

> Livin Lite Camplite owner - review/comments
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Motorhome Magazine | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS