Motorhome Magazine Open Roads Forum: Class A Motorhomes: chassis: freightliner vs roadmaster ????
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> chassis: freightliner vs roadmaster ????

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Rodz

West Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 01/27/12 11:32am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BudParrish wrote:

Respectfully, I don't see this thread as a "brand loyalty" war. I read everything as each person's personal experience.

While I really like my Diplomat, my next coach will be an American Heritage or a Foretravel. Wife and I are trying to decide.

Once again, both of those coaches ride on different chassis; one firmer than the other.

As for Cadillacs vs sports cars, at these prices, they are all Cadillacs/Lexus/Mercedes! That includes my last Class C!

Insert smiley face here.

Bud

I go along with that. My Monaco was a great motorhome and we loved it except the ride was really bad. We now have a Winnebago with a Freightliner chassis. The difference is unbelievable. Couldn't be happier.

loydt

Cornelius, NC, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/27/12 12:15pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I always felt the FL chassis under my parents 08 Discovery felt "top heavy" to me. Too much roll and sway. Ive logged many miles on it, too. That being said, when I test drove my current coach I was like "holy crap, what a difference"!

2006 Monaco Camelot 40PDQ, Cummins 400 ISL, 2012 Itasca Ellipse 42QD, Cummins 450

RayChez

Barstow, Ca. USA

View Profile

Posted: 01/27/12 09:20pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As long as you guys are satisfied with your Roadmaster chassis, that is all that matters. I tried a Camelot and I tried a HR Navigator with a tag 40'that was for sale in Palm Springs and both had a rough ride. I loved the looks of both coaches interior and exterior, but I just could not justify the ride. I like a nice soft cushy ride and with a good stabolizer bar, the coach will not sway. But that is just me, I am sure everybody has different taste and that is what makes this world tick. Just go out and enjoy them. That is the most important thing. And hope that they are trouble free.

2002 Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser
330 HP Caterpillar
3000 Allison Transmission
Neway Freightliner chassis
2013 Honda CR-V EX
Aventa II
FMCA member

SS Slacker

Lino Lakes, MN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/27/12 10:47pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DHart..Looks to me like you made a good choice as your coach is stunning and I have been in your floor plan and love it. I completely agree with your previous posts on this topic. I really like the roadmaster chassis, but like the Spartan and FL also.

When I am ready in the next couple years, I will first look for Monaco/HR motorhomes on the S series chassis to see what is available. Someone asked what you get with that chassis that is so much better?...well, it is not just the chassis on the Monaco brand but is also the steel wall and roof construction, and includes a 1/4 inch fiberglass roof over the top of 1/4 inch plywood all with a non skid walk way. Also a seamless joint molded with the front and rear cap. That is the stuff I want on my next coach and it all comes with an S series chassis. If I find something great on a FL or Spartan chassis then that will be good too, but i Suspect it would be a Dynomax chassis (Country Couch)to be comparable in price.

Dan & Tracy
2 kids ages 9 and 11
2003 HR Neptune 36PBD
300 ISB Cummins/5-Speed

DHart

Scottsdale, AZ

View Profile

Posted: 01/27/12 06:00pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bud.. Those American Coaches are sweet indeed! But at a fairly dramatic increase in cost.

I think the sweet money is on the new 2011/2012 Diplomat/Endeavor. We bought our 2011 43DFT (with tag axle) a month ago at the end of the model year and the dealer dropped 100k off the price. When we compare this to other new rigs (which we have done at every opportunity for months), feel you get a Superb rig for a very reasonable price with the new Monaco/HR. I like some of the features of the Eagle/Heritage and have looked at them very closely, but for all the extra money... I think the Diplomat/Endeavor twins offer the most for the money. We're absolutely thrilled with our Endeavor, including the ride and the handling.

2011 HR Endeavor 43DFT with a 2012 Chevy Avalanche LTZ "toad".

BudParrish

Clear Lake, Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/27/12 02:18pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DHart - you are very right! If they had made a tag Diplomat when I purchased, I would have that instead. I think that Monaco makes a terrific product. I do wish that a quarter of a million dollars bought more coach, tho.

We have really loved our Diplomat. Not a problem, well, except the fan belt broke, twice. That could happen to any coach. We've enjoyed the ride. Feels like a soft ride to me, but I have no comparison except the Fleetwood Jamboree GT I owned before this. I won't get in to that.

My bottom side says 'thank you' every time I sit in the Command Seat (at least that's what I think it is saying). My wife loves the ride. My daughter sleeps through most every trip.

Monaco puts an air valve system in that shifts air to keep the coach from leaning in a curve. Maybe all coaches do that like RayChez says- I don't know. If that's a fact then it sounds like we've all had an opportunity to sound off about our coach ride.

All things considered, it sounds like they all get from right here to over there on the map! In my case, hopefully, often .

I want the heated floor in the Eagle/Heritage! ..., and everything else

Bud

BudParrish

Clear Lake, Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/28/12 07:23am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Raychez;

I looked up your coach. That is one nice ride! Good choice. Did you get the one that has the projector TV and screen (and is the screen motorized). Now THAT is very cool.

How is the Neway chassis different than, say, the Spartan? I couldn't find any information on that.

Bud

DHart

Scottsdale, AZ

View Profile

Posted: 01/27/12 11:10pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SS Slacker... thanks for your comments. My wife and I absolutely love this coach and floorplan. We're in the midst of a 9 month USA tour with this new coach and every day my wife and I remark to each other about how much we love the floorplan, features, and the ride. For the money... the Monaco Diplomat/HR Endeavor twins offer a wonderful coach.

Monaco Diplomat/HR Endeavor 43DFT

After some measuring I found I could replace the 40" Sharp Aquos TV with a 46" Sony Bravia and install a 36" Classic Flame heater/electric fireplace. These make nice upgrades to the floorplan.

Other changes we made were to replace the curbside sofa with two leather recliners - they fit wonderfully. And installed a Beautyrest Elite King size mattress. And replaced the 26" Sharp Aquos in the bedroom with a 32" Sony Bravia.

Catalog photo

Trap

Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 01/27/12 11:22pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well DHart after havning just seen one in person today for the first time, my DW and I sure do have to agree with ya, that is a lot of really nice coach for the money.

Trap

SS Slacker

Lino Lakes, MN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/27/12 11:43pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Awesome!!! I love the fireplace options available includinge yours. We would need the two sofa's for our kids sleeping arangements.

I deleted my comments to the post about Monaco's being more likely tipping over as it is just too rediculous to respond to. FL and Spartan make a great chassis too.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> chassis: freightliner vs roadmaster ????
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Motorhome Magazine | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS