Motorhome Magazine Open Roads Forum: Class A Motorhomes: chassis: freightliner vs roadmaster ????
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> chassis: freightliner vs roadmaster ????

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Jackha1949

Any Where USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/24/12 07:22am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our MH is on a Freightliner chassis and it rides awesome. I have never driven a MH with a Roadmaster chassis, however, where do you get a Roadmaster chassis serviced? There are Freightliner service centers all over the country and they do excellent work. I'm sure both chassis do a great job for what they are designed for and this is just another chev vs ford question. Happy MHing All!

Jack & Peg
USN Ret AGC
K1ZMB
Sioux Falls, SD
06 Itasca Horizon 40KD

Rodz

West Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 01/24/12 07:39am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wow. Lots of different opinions here. Here's mine. I had a Monoco with a roadmaster chassis. The wind moved it around a lot and rode very rough. Every seam in the road just hammered us. I now have a Journey with a Freightliner chassis. There's no comparison. It rides crazy smooth and handles like a car. I never knew a motorhome could be this easy to drive.

zmotorsports

Utah

View Profile

Posted: 01/24/12 07:44am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I guess I am a little different as far as chassis vs. floorplan. I bought based on chassis and would only look at certain floorplans on those chassis.

I don't want to badmouth a certain chassis or design but I did a lot of research and drove a lot in the 9 months of looking for a coach. I had a nice coach (1991 Beaver) and was looking for an upgrade but I wanted a coach that I could drive for hours on end and still be comfortable/relaxed.

That said, I was looking at a very specific chassis. I wanted a semi-monocoque designed chassis which is not offered by many manufacturers so start with.

I like the Roadmaster S-Series for this very reason as well as the air bag placement. The dual airbags are mounted at the outer corners which allow for better handling/support especially in a high speed emergency manuever.

The wife told me to get the chassis that I wanted and then we would find the floorplan that fits us. That is one of the reasons we took so long to find a coach but I am not disappointed. We are coming up on the five year mark of owning our Dynasty on the Roadmaster S-Series chassis and I am just as happy with it as the day we purchased it.

Keep in mind though there is a ride difference between the Freighliner and the Roadmaster 8 or 10 airbag chassis. The Freightliner will give a little smoother ride and in my experience a little more body roll during higher speed canyon driving. The Roadmaster seems more like a sportscar ride (if you can compare a sportscar to a motorhome), it is not as smooth feeling but I would not consider it harsh as some describe it. I would describe it as a firm, responsive feeling when driving.

I would suggest that you find one on either chassis and test drive for yourself. Make sure to compare equally sized/weight coaches for a good comparison. When driving at freeway speed (and no other cars around) try to do an emergency lane change and you will see what I mean about being solid and responsive.

Mike.

2003 Monaco Dynasty/ 26' Haulmark Edge trailer
2011 Jeep Unlimited Rubicon

The Texan

Winter - Wellton, AZ

View Profile

Posted: 01/24/12 07:49am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Rodz wrote:

Wow. Lots of different opinions here. Here's mine. I had a Monoco with a roadmaster chassis. The wind moved it around a lot and rode very rough. Every seam in the road just hammered us. I now have a Journey with a Freightliner chassis. There's no comparison. It rides crazy smooth and handles like a car. I never knew a motorhome could be this easy to drive.
Which Roadmaster chassis did you own? BIG difference between the RR4 and the RR8 or 10.

Bob & Betsy(FishNFanatic) - USN Aviation Ret'd '78 & LEO Ret'd '03 & "Oath Keeper Forever"
'05 HR Endeavor 40PRQ, 400 Cummins-Pulling our '11 Silverado LT, Ex Cab 6.2L NHT 4x4, w/ the Rzr or ACE or a Quad riding in back.
Where the wheels are stopped today

Rodz

West Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 01/24/12 11:50am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The Texan wrote:

Rodz wrote:

Which Roadmaster chassis did you own? BIG difference between the RR4 and the RR8 or 10.

My Monaco was a 2001, so it was probably the RR4. I don't miss it a bit. I'm not saying the newer Roadmasters are bad. I'm just saying after driving that, I really like driving my Freightliner.

* This post was edited 01/24/12 11:57am by Rodz *

wilpower

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/24/12 12:02pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OK, I'll compare my apples and oranges.
Had a 2000 Discovery on a Freightliner chassis, it was so-so riding, but hard on the driver if any cross winds.
Next was a 2003 Islander on a DynoMax chassis, night and day over the Freightliner. Easy riding, terrific cornering and turning, no sweat with most cross winds.
Now we have an '06 Scepter on the Roadmaster RR10S, and again a step up from the DynoMax. NO effect on cross winds, or from passing semis (could be because of tag) Nicest driving/riding of the 3 DP's we've owned, although not as tight turning as the DynoMax.

* This post was edited 01/24/12 01:47pm by wilpower *

Wil & Cyndi & Einstein (African Gray)

Sully2

Cincinnati

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/24/12 02:46pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wilpower wrote:

OK, I'll compare my apples and oranges.
Had a 2000 Discovery on a Freightliner chassis, it was so-so riding, but hard on the driver if any cross winds.
Next was a 2003 Islander on a DynoMax chassis, night and day over the Freightliner. Easy riding, terrific cornering and turning, no sweat with most cross winds.
Now we have an '06 Scepter on the Roadmaster RR10S, and again a step up from the DynoMax. NO effect on cross winds, or from passing semis (could be because of tag) Nicest driving/riding of the 3 DP's we've owned, although not as tight turning as the DynoMax.

Same chassis as is under my Country Coach

2000 Country Coach Allure; Cummins ISC 330 HP; 71/2 - 8 MPG regardless
2002 Jeep Liberty

RayChez

Barstow, Ca. USA

View Profile

Posted: 01/24/12 03:50pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Personally I believe the Texan does not know what he is talking about. I was in the market for a Camelot and test drove one. The ride is what turned me off on the Camelot. It was so stiff that it acted like it didn't have any cushioning. The coach is a beautiful coach, but the ride is a lot to be desired.
I have the Neway Freightliner with IFS and it does not wallow at all like the Texan says. It is a very smooth ride and that is what we wanted. Difference is like in auto's. If you want a stiff ride you buy a sport car, if you want a soft comfortable ride you buy a Cadillac. I wish people would stop giving misinformation that a Freightliner wollos. That is not true at all. Freightliner makes all kinds of chassis, fact they are the biggest chassis manufacturer in the RV industry. They can get you from a tag axle chassis to a single rear axle on forty two foot coaches.
Go for the floor plan in my opinion on the coach that you like. Freightliner chassis with a side radiator is hard to beat and IFS.

2002 Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser
330 HP Caterpillar
3000 Allison Transmission
Neway Freightliner chassis
2013 Honda CR-V EX
Aventa II
FMCA member

Canadian Rainbirds

Vancouver Island (Winter: Mainland Mexico)

View Profile

Posted: 01/24/12 09:15pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We had a few issues with the handling of our 33' Freightliner chassis until we took it in to http://www.hendersonslineup.com/ in Grants Pass OR. We may go back for rear antisway bars.

Even at it's "worst" it was much better than our 30' gasser

DHart

Scottsdale, AZ

View Profile

Posted: 01/24/12 02:39pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It seems as though changes over the years, up to today's current chassis designs, account for as much difference between chassis as the design differences themselves. 2012 Freightliner chassis is likely superior to older Freightliner chassis, etc.

Our 2011 HR Endeavor 43DFT with tag axle, has the RR10S (10 airbags, some located outboard) and we love the stability this offers during swift steering maneuvers (very little lean) and the ride is wonderfully smooth. No doubt that the major chassis designs made in today's coaches (RR10, Spartan, Freightliner) are all excellent, though perhaps with somewhat different ride characteristics. Again, test drive to make your choice.

2011 HR Endeavor 43DFT with a 2012 Chevy Avalanche LTZ "toad".

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> chassis: freightliner vs roadmaster ????
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Motorhome Magazine | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS