Open Roads Forum

Print  |  Close

Topic: Looking for a Kedron Travel Trailer

Posted By: MinnesotaDreaming on 12/29/11 05:25am

Looking for a Kedron Travel Trailer. Saw one of these deer hunting last month in Minnesota. A family who had moved here from Australia, brought their travel trailer (or caravan as they called it) with them. The most durable and quality made RV I have ever seen. Puts any Airstream to shame. Looked around for a dealer in the US, no luck so far. Any ideas other than import from Australia?

Posted By: Fireballsocal on 12/29/11 09:53am

Check out "The gall boys" videos on youtube to really see how well they do offroad. I don't think we have anything like it here in the US, other than what has been imported from people like the ones you've met. We don't do that style of camping. The earthroamer motorhome would be the closest thing that I know of.

Posted By: Road Phantom on 12/29/11 10:07am

Camplite comes very close. It's all made out of aluminum.

http://www.boatnrv.com/rockwood-ridgeland-hamburg-west-coxsackie-new-2012-camplite-13-vid81825971-t2605

Or google; campliterv
You can also find it on U tube.

* This post was edited 12/30/11 08:57am by Road Phantom *

Posted By: RobertRyan on 12/29/11 02:54pm

Road Phantom wrote:

Camplite comes very close. It's all made out of aluminum.

http://www.boatnrv.com/rockwood-ridgeland-hamburg-west-coxsackie-new-2012-camplite-13-vid81825971-t2605

Or goodle; campliterv
You can also find it on U tube.

Not in the same League.

Posted By: RobertRyan on 12/29/11 03:09pm

MinnesotaDreaming wrote:

Looking for a Kedron Travel Trailer. Saw one of these deer hunting last month in Minnesota. A family who had moved here from Australia, brought their travel trailer (or caravan as they called it) with them. The most durable and quality made RV I have ever seen. Puts any Airstream to shame. Looked around for a dealer in the US, no luck so far. Any ideas other than import from Australia?

I talked to one of the Gall Brothers at the last Sydney Caravan and Motorhome show, about how their Caravans were recieved on RV Net.He said" I know you, I have seen your posts".then gave me a heap of their videos,other family members were in the same booth.They custom build their Caravans, so you will have to email them PLEASE tell others in the US about your experience. I think if they got a few more enquiries they might consider doing more in the US. Kedron are not the best built Travel Trailer in Australia, but in a group that make very good products.
Their Email address is sales@kedroncaravans.com
Their website URL link http://www.kedroncaravans.com/

Posted By: RobertRyan on 12/29/11 07:30pm

On the Kedron Website:
Quote:

# OVERSEAS ENQUIRY
Please note: With increasing 'You Tube' views of our Australian Adventures, we receive quite a few enquiries for possible export of the caravans. We do send DVD mail-orders overseas, though with regards to the caravans, would like to extend that very much appreciate the interest, but are only geared for local custom building for the Australian market to order bank, as to offer varying legalities of specifications for road, safety, gas and electrical systems to different countries is something we don't offer. Thanks again, and safe travels!

Posted By: cool beans on 12/29/11 10:13pm

holy cow what a camper! the suspension system under it is awesome!id love to see one up close.wonder what one costs US?

Posted By: RobertRyan on 12/29/11 11:34pm

Coll Beans wrote:

holy cow what a camper! the suspension system under it is awesome!id love to see one up close.wonder what one costs US?

A fair bit, as they are custom built and pretty "ruggerized" by US standards.Think Airstream in cost. They are a class of Caravan here called "Off Road Caravans". Bit of a competition amongest the various makers as who has the toughest.

Posted By: MinnesotaDreaming on 12/30/11 04:35am

Cool Beans - I had a chance to see one real close and I was impressed. We have had 4 RV's (TT and 5th wheels). Spend much time in rugged country. This was the 1st camper that I think could stand up to the punishment.

Mr Ryan - I did contact them and asked for some info. Thanks

Posted By: webcraft on 12/30/11 05:52am

I have just sold my first Kedron. It was a cross country model. My next Kedron (currently being built) is an ATV2. This will have independant coil suspension and heavy duty chassis. I highly recommend these vans for rugged Australian off-road conditions.

I will happily pass on your comments to the Gall Boys when they return from their Xmas break on January 19.

I have a picture of my first rig on my personal website www.kedroncruisin.com and a few other pictures of Kedrons on my business website www.lets-getaway.com

Happy to pass on any questions you may have to the Gall Boys.

* This post was edited 12/30/11 05:59am by webcraft *

Posted By: Gone Bush on 12/30/11 03:32pm

There are about 3 or 4 recognised very good off road van manufacturers in Australia.

Not in any particular order:

Kedron, Bushtracker, Spinifex, Trackmaster.

We have a Bushtracker and love it. We've just completed a trip around our country this winter (your summer) and have travel stories and pictures on my Blog, for those who are interested:

Gone Bush in a Bushtracker

For this particular trip, start in the entries for July.

It's probably way too hard for these manufacturers to make a van for overseas markets(too many compliance issues). It would be easier for people in the US to come to Australia, buy a van here and travel our country. Then put it into storage when you go home, and come out the next year. You will never see a winter again if you do that.

regards from the Great South Land.

Stephen & Robyn
Mandurah
Western Australia
http://farcanal.blogspot.com/

Posted By: RobertRyan on 12/30/11 06:52pm

Gone Bush wrote:

Kedron, Bushtracker, Spinifex, Trackmaster.

You can probably add Phoenix (under new Owners Sunland), Free Spirit a newbie in the Off Road stakes.There are about 14-15 builders of Off Roaders in Australia.
Also Lotus Caravans are going from Dirt Road to Off Road Caravans . They have very European interiors.

Posted By: RobertRyan on 12/30/11 07:18pm

For NA members some websites.All Off Road Caravans do not haveslides, compromises the chassis's performance.

Spinifex Caravans

Bushtracker Caravans

Phoenix Caravans

Sunland Caravans

Trakmaster Caravans

Some new manufacturers:
Free Spirit Caravans

Outback RV

On the Move caravans

Vanguard Caravans

SLR Caravans also make Expedition Motorhome.

Posted By: chrisval7 on 12/30/11 07:46pm

Like Webcraft, we now have a second Kedron caravan. We sold our first after many miles of heavy use in rough terrain and it was in perfect shape when we sold it. The brand is reputable and we chose the brand a second time as the builder is ethical and wonderful to deal with. As has been noted above, the chassis is extremely strong.

Posted By: shfd739 on 12/30/11 10:10pm

How do the Kimberly Karavans compare to the above brands?

There is a guy in Arizona that imported one this summer and it looks very impressive behind his built 4Runner.

'97 Toyota Land Cruiser
'01 Coleman Niagara pup

Posted By: RobertRyan on 12/30/11 10:55pm

Quote:

How do the Kimberly Karavans compare to the above brands?

There is a guy in Arizona that imported one this summer and it looks very impressive behind his built 4Runner.

They not a Caravan, but a Campertrailer in Australia. There are approximately over 100 builders of Campertrailers in Australia, from the basic to the very elborate.
Kimberley Karavans and Cub Campers are two of the biggest.

Kimberley Kampers

Cub Campers

We also have ;Hybrid Caravans or Pop Tops, Folding Trailer manufacturers, TC builders, Motorhome manufacturers, Off Road Motorhome; Tent manufacturers.

Posted By: RobertRyan on 12/30/11 11:20pm

Some examples
A Isuzu based 31ft Class C

Defunct maker of Class A's

A Coromal Pop Top.

Conventional Truck Camper(There are unconventional as well)

All Terrain Warriors Motorhome

Posted By: RobertRyan on 12/30/11 11:27pm

Goldstream RV Folding trailer

One Types of RV you do not get in North America
Crossover Camper.

Posted By: mowogman on 01/10/12 07:29pm

We see a lot of US built TT's (Caravans)in Australia the ones I have looked at certainly would not survive even moderate dirt road work.

Not all Australians buy dirt or off road vans but even the more basic on road vans in Australia are built pretty tough when compared to the US vans.

The US vans sell here because they are pretty cheap for the features you get. The issue is even our main roads here can be very rough and I wonder how well the US built vans will last here.

The downside to the Dirt/Off Road van in Australia is that they can be very heavy for their size. My 21ft Lotus Trooper is 3500kg in travelling trim. It is very heavy construction with 2 large chassis sections and heavy duty 4 wheel coil shock suspension.

To get some idea of the kind of chassis follow this link.

http://www.gnschassis.com.au/http://www.gnschassis.com.au/

You could import a chassis from Australia and build your own TT on it. I know G&S do sell chassis packages to private builders in Australia.

My Lotus Trooper has a G&S Chassis with the Control Rider Suspension.

* This post was edited 01/10/12 08:07pm by mowogman *

Posted By: mowogman on 01/10/12 07:45pm

Here is a link to some more interior shots of Lotus vans.

One of these vans belongs to the owner of Lotus Caravans.

Lotus Caravans

Posted By: MinnesotaDreaming on 01/10/12 07:52pm

Thanks, great info and will follow-up.

Posted By: mowogman on 01/10/12 08:10pm

I think this chassis with control rider fitted would be a great base for a private build. They might even put the door slot on the other side for export.

Posted By: cool beans on 01/11/12 07:28am

RobertRyan wrote:

Some examples
A Isuzu based 31ft Class C

Defunct maker of Class A's

A Coromal Pop Top.

Conventional Truck Camper(There are unconventional as well)

All Terrain Warriors Motorhome

the all terrain warriors motorhome would sell big in the U.S.got any inside pics or manufactures website?

Posted By: mowogman on 01/11/12 03:00pm

Here is a link to the site.

http://www.allterrainwarriors.com.au/4x4-motor-homes/conqueror.html

Posted By: RobertRyan on 01/11/12 03:52pm

Mowogman wrote:

The US vans sell here because they are pretty cheap for the features you get. The issue is even our main roads here can be very rough and I wonder how well the US built vans will last here.

I found US paved roads somewhat rougher than ours. I agree though I would have great doubts about the durability of US Vans having had a look at their construction. Same doubts many of us have over the suitability of European Vans for Australian conditions. They and US 5Vers can all be lumped into RV's that have not been built for our conditions and use.

Print  |  Close