Motorhome Magazine Open Roads Forum: Class A Motorhomes: Intellitec battery isolator relay
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Intellitec battery isolator relay

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
Sponsored By:
caymann

wherever parked

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/16/11 06:56pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

CA Traveler wrote:

My MH has this setup: http://intellitec.com/pdfs/BATTERY_web/5300839.100.pdf

The pdf shows the BIRD and Bigboy relay and wiring diagram. Rather straightforward setup to charge both batteries on shore, gen or driving and aux start.

However, the OP indicated he didn't need any more than an isolator to charge the coach battery while driving.

This is the CORRECT hookup for bigboy batt isolator relay
This is how i plan on doing it
Just connect a 12V to I and GND to S and the relay will energize
connecting the two batteries for charging from alternator.
I have the same P/N 77-90006-120 for bigboy isolator relay as you do

01'Monaco Executive Tag
RM(S)chassis,Cum-ISM500
04'Dodge Ram 3500,Cum-ISB325
05'BMW F650GS motorcycle

caymann

wherever parked

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/16/11 06:44pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OnaQuest wrote:

enblethen, you are making the same mistake that I made. Read the label on the relay/solenoid in the subject photo. It says battery isolator. Intellitec calls both their Isolator relay and their Disconnect relay "Big Boy's". Very confusing.

I do believe he has it hooked up wrong, however. The chassis battery should go directly to one of the large terminals on the Big Boy and the house batteries to the other.

OP, can you tell us what cables are shown in the photo?

I agree with moisheh that the OP needs to go to a good Monaco board and seek help. They can explain different options to complete his project.

The simplest way to solve the whole problem would have been to make sure the aux start solenoid was a continuous duty solenoid and just add a new pick path from the ignition. Job done!

Sorry i was out all day and just got back to computer

I will try my best to explain all these....

1. LEFT Relay> (hanging upside down) Intellitec BigBoy Battery Isolator relay. This is the one in discussion here.
Also this relay is NOT rated for 200A continuous. Just read the bigboy battery isolator manual. It states that clearly. I am sure i will never reach 200A from the alternator, but i have measured upto 175A once when house batteries were severely discharged while a weekend of dry camping...but that was once only. Most times it is running at 50A or so because i camp with hookups nowadays.

It has two battery posts. I have connected the (left post)BLACK 2/0 cable to ENGINE Battery and (right post) RED 2/0 cable to HOUSE Battery

The BLACK cable from bigboy relay is connected (in star fashion) to engine battery cable, alternator cable and engine batt boost relay cable.

The RED cable from bigboy relay is connected (in star fashion) to house battery cable and engine batt boost relay cable.

I have tried my best to illustrate it here.

I just have to make the connections to I and S terminal of bigboy and i am done.

My basic instinct says, i can just wire in IGN to I and GROUND to S and it will charge both batteries when i start the engine.

To make it a little better, i could use the Isolator relay delay which will wait to charge the house battery only after engine battery is fully charged. I liked that, so i ordered this controller.

To make it even more sophisticated, i can take out the battery boost relay and lambert and just add a BIRD controller.

Hope this clears up any confusion i may have caused.
The Bigboy isolator relay is NOT a latching relay
The Bigboy battery disconnect relay is a latching relay.
Intellitec made this very confusing.

2. MIDDLE Relay> Intellitec battery boost disconnect relay
This one is NOT under discussion
Also this relay is NOT rated for 200A continuous. It is a momentary (upto 30S) 1000A current rating to jump start engine.

3. RIGHT two Relays> House and Engine Battery disconnect relays
These relays are NOT under discussion
4. LAMBERT Battery trickle charger

I could use a BIRD and replace all three (1,2,4) components with just the first relay. But WHY? Having all-in-one relay is of course great but when that relay will fail i am out of all three functionality.
Btw, this relay will fail someday. Having a distributed approach such as this will save the day.

In future when 2 and 3 dies, i will have just one relay controlled by BIRD.

* This post was edited 10/16/11 07:02pm by caymann *

CA Traveler

The Western States

View Profile

Posted: 10/16/11 10:08am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My MH has this setup: http://intellitec.com/pdfs/BATTERY_web/5300839.100.pdf

The pdf shows the BIRD and Bigboy relay and wiring diagram. Rather straightforward setup to charge both batteries on shore, gen or driving and aux start.

However, the OP indicated he didn't need any more than an isolator to charge the coach battery while driving.

2009 Holiday Rambler 42 Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
2004 Honda CR-V

Bob

moisheh

North America

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/16/11 10:09am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Your circuitry is beyond my electrical knowledge but maybe I can offer a few clues. The Lambert as installed by Monaco is really just a fancy trickle charger. It only charges the coach batteries. One of those solenoids you pictured is a lock out relay that prevents the batteries from being charged from 2 devices( gennie, alternator, inverter/charger). I think the other 2 are for your battery disconnects. A quick search on the Monaco yahoo forum shows about 200+ posts on this subject. If you wire your setup the way Intellitec recommends then your Lambert is not required. But I am sure one of the 2 other persons who responded would know how to wire that Big Boy and still use the Lambert. It seems to me that if you followed the wiring diagram from Intellitec youn would not need the lock out relay or the Lambert. I think even I could trace the wiring in your picture with an ohmeter.

Intelllitec

moisheh

North America

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/16/11 10:58am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Above are photos of the setup on my Dynasty. I am wondering why I see another post on your Big Boy with 3 cables attached???? The wiring is really not that complicated ( must be simple if I can understand). One side is for coach and the other for chassis. BIRD connects to the Big Boy as does your dash overide switch. I did notice some shunts in your photo and maybe it is important to wire the Big boy directly from the source. Note that the 200 amp Big Boy is NOT rated for continuous duty and MUST have a BIRD to make it work properly. If I were in your situation I would either just install a good HD continuous rated isolator relay or rewire your setup without the Lambert but with the Big Boy and the BIRD.

Moisheh

enblethen

Moses Lake, WA

View Profile

Posted: 10/16/11 11:44am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

CA Traveler:
Interesting that your link shows the Big Boy as an electrical held where the Big Boy at Intellitec's site shows it as a momentary mechanically latch type relay.
Moisheh:
Your photo shows an BigBoy electrically held as well.

OP: If your Big Boy is the same as the two previous models, then one side doesn't matter whether I or S is connected to ground. The other post would go to the Bird controller or to a "hot" in run position on the ignition. Before doing anything else measure between the I and S posts for resistance of about 25 ohms.

* This post was edited 10/16/11 11:55am by enblethen *

Bud
USAF Retired
Suzuki XL7 pushing Pace Arrow

moisheh

North America

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/16/11 08:35am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lambert is out of business and not supported. If you go to the Yahoo Monaco forum there are a lot of members who have a system sililar to yours. Most have updated to something else. You will get tons of answers to your question.

Moisheh

enblethen

Moses Lake, WA

View Profile

Posted: 10/16/11 08:51am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The relay in the center of photograph 2 is not a Big Boy. It appears to be a standard four post relay.
The Big Boy is the battery disconnect. It is operated off a double pole double throw switch somewhere in the coach. The Bird controller cannot operate it. Schematic shown on relay.
Intellitec BigBoy
Have you determined the functions of the smaller relays in the lower left corner?

OnaQuest

Old enough to be a

View Profile

Posted: 10/16/11 09:22am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

enblethen wrote:

The relay in the center of photograph 2 is not a Big Boy. It appears to be a standard four post relay.
The Big Boy is the battery disconnect. It is operated off a double pole double throw switch somewhere in the coach. The Bird controller cannot operate it. Schematic shown on relay.
Intellitec BigBoy
Have you determined the functions of the smaller relays in the lower left corner?

enblethen, you are making the same mistake that I made. Read the label on the relay/solenoid in the subject photo. It says battery isolator. Intellitec calls both their Isolator relay and their Disconnect relay "Big Boy's". Very confusing.

I do believe he has it hooked up wrong, however. The chassis battery should go directly to one of the large terminals on the Big Boy and the house batteries to the other.

OP, can you tell us what cables are shown in the photo?

I agree with moisheh that the OP needs to go to a good Monaco board and seek help. They can explain different options to complete his project.

The simplest way to solve the whole problem would have been to make sure the aux start solenoid was a continuous duty solenoid and just add a new pick path from the ignition. Job done!

* This post was edited 10/16/11 09:29am by OnaQuest *

enblethen

Moses Lake, WA

View Profile

Posted: 10/16/11 09:39am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This was my thought originally.
"The simplest way to solve the whole problem would have been to make sure the aux start solenoid was a continuous duty solenoid and just add a new pick path from the ignition. Job done!"
Intellitec lists the BigBoy as a battery isolator and as a battery disconnect. BigBoy battery isolator

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Intellitec battery isolator relay
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Motorhome Magazine | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS