Motorhome Magazine Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: CO - LP detector replacement
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> CO - LP detector replacement

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
EdBigley

Olean, NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/07/11 05:17am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

While winterizing my 2010 Starcraft 264RKS tavel tailer, I took a look at the CO detector and saw it has an expiration date of Dec. 2011. Anyone else find their detector has a <2 year life? Going to start looking for a replacement (that fits the hole in the wall) soon.

TT_Tim

El Paso

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/07/11 05:57am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes, mine too expires in December. I would like some input from others who have replaced their factory installed unit. Did you get the same model? Do other manufactures models fit? How much and where did you get it?
Thanks

beemerphile1

I'm 58, I'm not a

View Profile

Posted: 10/07/11 06:38am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I thought the standard replacement interval was five years. Maybe your detector was three years old when the trailer was new.

A poor man seeks riches, a rich man seeks power, but a wise man seeks contentment.

2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900/1998 Ford E150 4.6L = 8MPG
2009 Aliner Sport/2009 Pontiac Vibe 1.8L = 22MPG

johnrbd

San Joaquin Valley

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/07/11 09:10am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The unit may have been on the self a few yrs before installation in your rv. Normally, 5 yrs to expiration date, but like tires, countdown starts long before installation.

mlts22

Austin, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 10/07/11 09:38am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I wish some enterprising soul could put the parts that expire in some form of easily replacable "cartridge". This way, replacing that would just be as easy as a battery pull.

mobeewan

Hampton, Va

View Profile

Posted: 10/08/11 03:56am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If the dates mentioned by everyone are the dates on the detectors they are probably the manufacture dates and not the experation dates. I just recently purchased a First Alert at Lowes. The date on it is 2011, Aug 03. The package says it is good for 10 years. I doubt it has been setting on the shelf for 10 years. I think the date is the manufacture date. I bought it to replace the First Alert in my trailer. It keeps going off when the humidity in the trailer gets high when I take a shower or had the windows open and outside humidity was high. The trailer is a 2007 I purchased in Nov 2006. The date on the detector is from Jan 2006. I don't think it looks like a 15 year model.

EdBigley

Olean, NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/08/11 04:08am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The date on mine is the replace by date (Dec. 2011). The Starcraft trailer was built in Dec. 2009. I am going to pull the detector from the camper today and see if I can find a date of manufacture. On doing some research, I found conflicting information on the same web page. They suggest to replace every 2-3 years at the same time giving the unit a 5 year expected lifetime.

TT_Tim

El Paso

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/09/11 02:28pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2010 Jayco Mftr Date: Jan 2010

CO/Propane Alert expiration date: Dec 2011

mobeewan

Hampton, Va

View Profile

Posted: 10/10/11 02:12am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I guess I'll have to call First Alert. Neither the old Smoke detector / Corbon Monoxide detector all in one nor the new smoke detector only states whether it is the manufacture date or replace by date. The new carbon monoxide detector by Code One states the date of manufacture as "2011, March, 15".

zackyboy3rs

Eastern North Carolina

View Profile

Posted: 10/10/11 12:42pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Starcraft has a 2 year warranty.(?) If so, warranty should replace it. I have a 2010 Jayco and mine went bad this summer and they replaced it.

2009 Chevy Silverado LTZ 2500HD 6.0L, 3.73, Gas sipper

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> CO - LP detector replacement
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Motorhome Magazine | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS