Motorhome Magazine Open Roads Forum: Winnebago/Itasca Via / Reyo Owners...What do you think?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Winnebago/Itasca Via / Reyo Owners...What do you think?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
ravencr

NC

View Profile

Posted: 09/15/11 07:23pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hey guys,

I'm intrigued by these Sprinter Class A's. I'd be curious to see what most owners think about them, what you owned previously, what you tow with it, gas mileage you get towing and not, and things you've found limiting and things you love about them too. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Also, are there other Class A Sprinters models on the market?

Chris

steveownby

Cosby, TN

View Profile

Posted: 09/15/11 07:47pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My wife and I took a 3 month trip west with friend who were driving a 2010 Via. The tank sizes are limiting. 25 gal fuel and the black & gray tanks are small. It does not have leveling jacks and Mercedes does not want you to add them. Real world mpg is 12-15. The little 3.2 kw generator was somewhat cranky. They towed a Saturn View & it did ok.

Steve Ownby
2003 Monaco Signature

Full-time since 2007

ravencr

NC

View Profile

Posted: 09/15/11 08:06pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That's kind of what I figured...interested to hear other's opinions, as well. Thanks for sharing...I went to college in Maryville, TN and have hiked many times around Cosby...love it up there.

Ringoa

Home

View Profile

Posted: 09/18/11 11:11am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My 2cents worth: We have a 2010 Via and love the size and livability compared to the 06 Navion we had for 4 hrs and 40k miles. Sure the fuel tank is "only" 26gal. That is enough for over 300 mile legs which is more than my bladder or sore back likes to put up with. When we do stop it is nice to buy only 15-20 gals vs 40-60. It is short In storage compared to larger coaches but there is always compromise in RVing. We left a lot of stuff at home and find we don't need it.

ravencr

NC

View Profile

Posted: 09/18/11 11:50am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yeah, we've seen a lot of folks with the Navions too, more so than the Via's or Reyo's come through, but I tend to agree that you can only take so much driving at one time. We like to break up our trips with various stops along the way, so the fuel tank doesn't bother as much as the grey/black/fresh water tank sizes. Have you guys spent much time boondocking and if so, how long can you be without hookups before you run out of water? Have you towed a car or trailer behind it much? We want to tow either a motorcycle or car, plus a RZR in an enclosed aluminum trailer, which I'm sure will be pushing it's limits of capacity for sure if we try to have a car...actually it won't even be possible. But, a motorcycle and RZR should be fine.

reyo owner

mechanic

View Profile

Posted: 09/19/11 08:33am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a 2011 Itasca Reyo. I estimate we have had it in for repair over 20 times in less then a year. I have postings elsewhere in this forum. We have had appliances fixed or replaced and other coach issues, engine repairs too numerous to keep count. At present our Reyo sits at Freightliner awaiting service for an on going check engine light problem. It took numerous phone calls from FL to Mercedes before a rep. finally did something this last time. After 3 or 4 new EGRs, 2 Turbo resonators, O-rings, pedal sensor within the first 6 weeks, electric control module, two separate replacement of parts in the adblu anti pollution system including sensors etc. since May, we are looking at the oxygen sensor (s) to be replaced.

The Dometic refrig. in these models freezes over and needs defrosting every three or four days. Forget storing medication in one. You cannot rely on the temperature staying at a safe level. We are on our second refrig. I hate it. Never had to defrost an RV refrig. before this one. Waiting for our third closet door, same door, same spot where laminate is peeling off.

Mercedes mechanics hate to work on this model as the engine is so cramped. That and the dealers who work on the MB Sprinter are few and far between, sometime over 250 miles away. I get kinda tired of hearing about how this was the first rig like this they had ever seen and didn't know much about them.I should know. I have been to MB dealers in AL,LA,NC,CT,FL. Freightliner seems to do better except for Freightliner in Jacksonville Fl. Poor service experience there.

The paint started to crack in the rear. Push against the rear panel. No bracing! Our RV dealership nearby suggested we take the unit back to Iowa and have the entire read replaced. It took several visits to various dealers to get the door handle that was very difficult to open replaced. Then there was the steps, range hood fan, shades, water valve, windshield noise, insulation falling on the dash....

As for storage, there is tons, BUT, look at the CCC. VERY limited. Reyo manual states that even tho there is space for storage, doesn't mean you can fill it without being aware of the CCC. Mileage is about 14mpg. Parking a lot easier the a bigger rig. More interior space then our Lance 1055 truck camper. Sorry we traded it for this. Sways in wind and when big trucks go by. Propane flame has propensity to go out while traveling or parked in a windy area. Mattress comfy. TV great. Captain's chairs can get stuck. Ours did. Had to drive 50 miles to dealer for repair with seat sideways and beeper going off all the way. Emergency brake needs special handling to get it back down all the way so it doesn't beep. After awhile you get the hang of it.

Would I buy this again. Absolutely not! Overpriced. Unreliable. Poor service with Mercedes. Winnebago replaces broken parts, but there should be a limit to how much goes wrong. They refuse to take a defective product back. You have to hire an attorney and that is expensive.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Winnebago/Itasca Via / Reyo Owners...What do you think?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Motorhome Magazine | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS