Motorhome Magazine Open Roads Forum: Class C Motorhomes: Early oil change Sprinter Diesel
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> Early oil change Sprinter Diesel

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
Flarpswitch

Salem, Oregon

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/05/11 03:48pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There is 15k miles on the clock and 4k on this oil (2008 6 cyl diesel)
In two weeks I'm taking off for what will be at least 8k miles. Should I change the oil and not have to worry about it on the road until I get home or just find a place along the way. I have the oil and filter on hand. Oil changes are spendy even though I got a good price the last time I shopped for oil. Pros & cons?

Steve
'09 Navion iQ

bsshelby

Paducah, KY, USA

View Profile

Posted: 09/05/11 04:02pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If I were going to change the oil myself, I would change it before I left. If I had a very good sprinter mechanic, I would have him change it, just to have him check the RV before I left. I would assume those use synthetic oil. What do you usually get on mileage?
Steve

midnightsadie

ohio

View Profile

Posted: 09/05/11 04:53pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have the I 5 MB engine ,I,d rather change it, I,d just feel better knowning theres freash oil in the motor.

ArcticDodge

Sammamish, WA

View Profile

Posted: 09/05/11 05:34pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'd change it now. Especially if you are doing your self. Why bother with chores while on the road?

2009 Komfort 256TS
2001 Dodge Ram 3500 QC 4x4 Cummins DRW
2005 Dodge Durango Limited AWD HEMI
2006 Dodge Charger R/T HEMI
2001 Sebring Convertible
1995 Miata M-Edition
1 Wife 2 Boys UW & Bellevue College
1 Trixie (Bichon Frise)
Only 21 years to retirement!!!!

Salvo

California

View Profile

Posted: 09/05/11 05:40pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would change oil after you get back. 4k is way too early. 12k is typical oil change for Sprinter with ASSYST. I wouldn't worry about it. Just don't over fill.

Flarpswitch

Salem, Oregon

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/06/11 03:18am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My mistake, I actually have 6,000 miles and 10 months on this oil. The ASSYST says I have 4,000 more to go. When I reset the ASSYST last time, I set it for 229.51 oil. I have been using Valvoline MST 5W-40. I get an exceptional price at NAPA and it is about the only oil that is readily available here that I am certain meets the specification. There are some other brands like Amsoil, but the cost is insane. My reluctance to wait is due to conversations with service personal that are either ignorant or dishonest about the type of oil to use. It seems that the general feeling is that substituting other grades of oil is just fine and makes no difference. I'd like to hear from owners of high mileage Mercedes diesel engines to see how it worked out for them taking advice from shade-tree experts. Recently, the local Oil Can Henry shop is prepared to do oil changes using Castrol. I found a good independent Mercedes/BMW shop for mechanical work if needed in the future and I can do the rest. I discovered long ago when you own an RV or a boat, you better be handy with a screw driver and a wrench or be prepared to be nickel and dimed to death.

As far as fuel economy goes, the average is a little over 15mpg. If I am on the Interstate with the cruise control set for 65 to 75, the mileage goes down to about 14. If I travel mainly on state highways and keep it to no more than 60mph, then I get nearly 17mpg. If I use the generator a bit for the AC, then I add a fudge factor of estimated consumption base on load. Chatting with other owners of similar set-ups, this is all right on target.

Salvo

California

View Profile

Posted: 09/06/11 06:08pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That's not quite correct. Typical oil change durations with ASSYST is about 13K. Electronics in the Sprinter measures the dielectric of the oil and determines when it needs service. Changing earlier is a waste of money.

mavapa wrote:

If I recall correctly, the oil change interval for that engine is 10,000 miles.

oldtrucker63

Harlan Kentucky

View Profile

Posted: 09/06/11 06:55am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would change that oil, And here is how to know for your self that it is better on the engine, Take the RV for a drive and listen and feel of your engine ok, Now come back home and change the oil and then take the same rout that you took just before changing the oil, And listen and feel OK You will be able to hear and feel that motor talking back to you, After you do this come back and let us all know how much the engine thanked you for the fresh oil, Now that might sound crazy buddy but try it and listen and feel the differences in that engine, You can tell a big big difference, Don't let a shade tree mechanic tell you, when the machine can talk to you it self, You just have to listen.

Without Trucks,....America Stop's

mavapa

Rome, Ga, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/06/11 01:36pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If I recall correctly, the oil change interval for that engine is 10,000 miles. I would change it now so I wouldn't have to worry about it on the road. Also, the MB specified oil is low-ash to avoid fouling the particulate filter. Oils that are not labeled to meet the MB specifications may or may not be OK, but I would not use them. If you need a quart when you're on the road, find a Mercedes dealer. MB cars use that oil, too.

We recently returned from our first trip in our '10 Winnebago (on an '08 Sprinter chassis), and we averaged 15 mpg overall, including mostly interstate travel at 60-65 and a fair amount of in-town driving at our destination.

Flarpswitch

Salem, Oregon

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/06/11 01:59pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well, then I am crazy too. I know for a fact and it's not my imagination that there seems to bea difference after an oil change. Why is that? It is not the same as the trick we used long ago at the car dealership. After working on a car, we would send it over to the detail guy to give it a quick wash and make the glass sparkle. Customers would swear that the engine ran smoother and got better gas mileage. That was all voo-doo magic. Once I tried to save a few pennies by buying Walmart branded oil for my 100HP Mercury outboard motor with variable ratio oil injection. Since the oil is burned with the fuel, I could see right away the performance drop was dramatic. I gave away what was left of the second gallon of that******and went back to premium two-stroke oil after that. So, what kind of Voo-Doo is at work in a turbo-diesel engine? I decided to go ahead and change the oil before I leave... as I remember the last 6,000 miles were hard ones.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> Early oil change Sprinter Diesel
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Motorhome Magazine | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS