Motorhome Magazine Open Roads Forum: Malibu With 6 Speed NOT Towable 4 Down UPDATE 9-9-11
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Dinghy Towing

Open Roads Forum  >  Dinghy Towing

> Malibu With 6 Speed NOT Towable 4 Down UPDATE 9-9-11

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev
Sponsored By:
dleslie125

Southern Ontario/Palmetto FL in Winter

View Profile

Posted: 09/06/11 02:00pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MotorHomeGuy wrote:

The Texan wrote:

I would call the rep back and tell him you want that in writing, on a GM letterhead. After all that has gone back and forth, I would NOT trust Government Motors as far as I could throw them....

It's mind baffling how some people act as though they know what they are talking about when they really don't... GM stands for General Motors.

MHG - I think you missed it. He used his version of GM because of the fact that the US and Canadian governments have voting control. I think he should have included a smilie.

2011 Itasca Impulse 26QP Silver Toad 2014 Jeep Cherokee Limited
New W-I Class C Yahoo Group
07 Jayco 32SS Kodiak 8.1 • 06 HR Amb 40PLQ ISC • 04 Winnie Jrny 39W CAT • 2000 Triple E CDR F53
Member Super C RV Group

The Texan

Cascade, Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 09/06/11 06:23pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MotorHomeGuy wrote:

The Texan wrote:

I would call the rep back and tell him you want that in writing, on a GM letterhead. After all that has gone back and forth, I would NOT trust Government Motors as far as I could throw them....

It's mind baffling how some people act as though they know what they are talking about when they really don't... GM stands for General Motors.
As long as the government has control, it will be "Government Motors". General Motors lost their standing, when they sold out to the government and another bunch...

Bob & Betsy(FishNFanatic) - USN Aviation Ret'd '78 & LEO Ret'd '03 & "Oath Keeper Forever"
'05 HR Endeavor 40PRQ, 400 Cummins-Pulling our '11 Silverado LT, Ex Cab 6.2L NHT 4x4, w/ Rzr or Suzuki or an ACE riding in back.
Where the wheels are stopped today

Retiredblade

Western, Pa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/07/11 04:10am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lets tame this down a little, GM stays for General Motors, but because they got a government hand out with tax payers money, some people, and I once in a while call them Government Motors. Seems though, no one puts the mouth on Chrysler, does anyone remember that they received a government bailout, in the 1950's, which they paid back, then in the 80's, which they paid back, I wonder if they will be able to pay back the present bail out? How about we call them Welfare motors? Without the taxpayers they would be gone a long time ago, I'm glad they are around, I use to be a Chrysler man, they put out some great cars through out the years.

The Texan

Cascade, Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 09/07/11 11:23am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

lryrob9301 wrote:

Yes the new General Motors ( after bankruptcy ) repaid their portion of the bailout but the old GM hasn't paid a dime.
Sorry, but the "new" GM has NOT repaid all they borrowed. Do some research and you will find they only repaid a portion of what they borrowed and then tried to make the public think they had repaid all of it....Good try. but not everyone was fooled. My understanding is that they also still owe Canada a very large portion of what they borrowed up there.

lryrob9301

Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 09/07/11 11:09am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Chrysler has repaid the federal government loans by securing private equity loans from the investment banking industry. The interesting thing that is never mentioned in any of these post is the $3 Billion General Motors Holding (the old General Motors) still owes the government and is not repaying. Yes the new General Motors ( after bankruptcy ) repaid their portion of the bailout but the old GM hasn't paid a dime. Who is General Motors Holding you ask? It is the old GM that owns all the closed factories and closed dealerships that are toxic "assets" that can't be sold because there are no buyers willing to purchase them with all the "strings" that are attached.

2013 Tiffin Phaeton 40QBH
2011 Scion x/B Toad

dleslie125

View Profile

Posted: 09/06/11 06:44pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The Texan wrote:

MotorHomeGuy wrote:

The Texan wrote:

As long as the government has control, it will be "Government Motors". General Motors lost their standing, when they sold out to the government and another bunch...

Methinks you have that wrong. They didn't sell out, they went through a bankruptcy process - and very quickly even though all the opponents said it would take years (shows what they really knew).

Badeye

Bonaire GA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/09/11 07:00pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Got my Malibu back from the shop today after getting the base plate and wiring installed. Also had the connections for the Ready Brake installed. Very nice, clean install. Will be taking the Malibu and motorhome out on the road for a test run early next week. Want to do this before going out on a trip in case there are any problems. Thanks for all the comments while I was getting the towability questions answered. Just a note, I received a second call yesterday from the Area Rep reassuring me that the Malibu was towable four down. I guess the first long trip will be the real test.

I would like to hear from anyone that has towed either a 2011 or 2012 Malibu and their comments on the vehicle.

Badeye

"No one can guarantee success, only effort."

Bob & Fran
2005 Coachmen Sportscoach Elite 40 ft DP
2012 Chevy Malibu
Ready Brute Tow Bar
Ready Brake Tow Brake
FMCA F324606

dleslie125

View Profile

Posted: 09/07/11 12:59pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

quaddriver wrote:

Actually, the tranny was not designed with 4 down towing in mind, it was just hoped that it was possible.

From the Tech articles I've seen (including one written by the fellow from Ford who headed their side of the project (Ram Krishnaswami), as they were doing their development they found a simple modification that would allow vehicles with the transmission to be towed flat. An article in DriveLine in 2007 pointed out that this was, according to GM and Ford, a feature of both the Ford and GM transmissions that came out of the development.

quaddriver

NW PA

View Profile

Posted: 09/07/11 11:38am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Actually, the tranny was not designed with 4 down towing in mind, it was just hoped that it was possible.

In the old days the pan was well below the gear train and it was a slightly hidden secret that you could overfill by 2-3 quarts to overcome cracks in the casing for pickup reasons to avoid sucking air. by moving the pan 'up', more oil is in the case, slightly touched by the direct/output drum/shell - and hereby whipped into a frenzy. but the input to the pump has less chance of gulping O2.

real world experience shows that aint working

I know its blasphemy, but towing on a dolly is always going to be better for the towee....(hit a bump on manual transmission that is fully synched with a broken snap ring and the resulting jump into gear will be humorous....for bystanders not in the path of ejected parts)

BTW I just registered, I was researching Onan part x-ref for my BGE in my Minnie and this came up. Real close to rvforum.net as well.... then I saw this and had to respond. So take this as my own version of an intro!

Quaddriver - go fast, run over sh....stuff

dleslie125

View Profile

Posted: 09/07/11 12:00pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

GM and Chrysler. There are two aspects to the money the Feds in the US and Canada injected. One portion was a loan and that has been repaid. The other part was EQUITY and Fiat has purchased the equity portions held by the Government of Canada at a price that resulted in a loss. Same for US I understand.

Until the US Government unloads all of its GM stock you will not know if there is a loss or profit. Given where the price is now they should not be in a hurray to unload.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Dinghy Towing

> Malibu With 6 Speed NOT Towable 4 Down UPDATE 9-9-11
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Dinghy Towing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Motorhome Magazine | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS