Open Roads Forum

Print  |  Close

Topic: Malibu With 6 Speed NOT Towable 4 Down UPDATE 9-9-11

Posted By: Badeye on 08/30/11 01:20pm

After buying a Chev Cruze and then finding out that the Chev Cruze was not towable 4 down I was assured by the dealer that the 2012 Malibu was towabe 4 down. I also read it in the owner's manual. I traded for the Malibu.

Through this forum I got information that made me believe that they were wrong. I kept looking for a definite answer and called GM Customer Service. The first two people that I talked to did not have a clue what I was talking about. I finally got through to a Supervisor and she started digging into the matter. Now, just as we were preparing to install the base plate, I find that the Malibu with the 6 speed automatic transmission is not dingy towable. I am waiting now on a call from GM to tell me how they or the dealer will handle the situation. That call is supposed to come tomorrow according to the GM Customer Service supervisor.

I now know that even though the Owner's Manual says that the vehicle is dingy towable, it may not be. How do we determine which vehicles are flat towable and which are not if we cannot depend on the car manufacturer's Owner's Manual? In the case of the Cruze and the Malibu both manuals said that it was flat towable. I am truly dissapointed in GM.

UPDATE: As noted in a later post, I am now assured by GM Area Rep that the Malibu 2011 and 2012 with the 6 speed automatic are towable. There was a lot of confusion at GM about the subject. Bad communication between engineering and sales.

Badeye

* This post was edited 09/09/11 07:04pm by Badeye *

"No one can guarantee success, only effort."

Bob & Fran
2005 Coachmen Sportscoach Elite 40 ft DP
2012 Chevy Malibu
Ready Brute Tow Bar
Ready Brake Tow Brake
FMCA F324606

Posted By: sepisllib on 08/30/11 01:43pm

Badeye wrote:

After buying a Chev Cruze and then finding out that the Chev Cruze was not towable 4 down I was assured by the dealer that the 2012 Malibu was towabe 4 down. I also read it in the owner's manual. I traded for the Malibu.

Through this forum I got information that made me believe that they were wrong. I kept looking for a definite answer and called GM Customer Service. The first two people that I talked to did not have a clue what I was talking about. I finally got through to a Supervisor and she started digging into the matter. Now, just as we were preparing to install the base plate, I find that the Malibu with the 6 speed automatic transmission is not dingy towable. I am waiting now on a call from GM to tell me how they or the dealer will handle the situation. That call is supposed to come tomorrow according to the GM Customer Service supervisor.

I now know that even though the Owner's Manual says that the vehicle is dingy towable, it may not be. How do we determine which vehicles are flat towable and which are not if we cannot depend on the car manufacturer's Owner's Manual? In the case of the Cruze and the Malibu both manuals said that it was flat towable. I am truly dissapointed in GM.

Badeye

Bob.

That transmission was "specifically" designed and engineered - as a joint venture between Ford and GM several years ago - to be towable. Is incorporates a special "drip" pan feature that lubricates the necessary seals and bearings.

I don't know if I could locate the article now - however I will look and see if I can.

Good Luck

God Bless

Bill

Bill W. Trammell
Wife - Judy
2001 Monaco Dynasty Chancellor
2008 Malibu 2LT toad

Posted By: NavyChaps on 08/30/11 01:54pm

Thus why I am driving a Ford....

2003 Winnebago Adventurer 33V, Ford 6.8l V-10, Stow Master 5000 Tow Bar, Blue Ox Patriot Brake System; Protect-a-Tow Toad:2012 Ford F-150 XLT 4x4/1992 Chev S-10.

Posted By: Norm Payne on 08/30/11 01:54pm

Badeye wrote:

How do we determine which vehicles are flat towable and which are not if we cannot depend on the car manufacturer's Owner's Manual? In the case of the Cruze and the Malibu both manuals said that it was flat towable. I am truly dissapointed in GM.

Badeye

Buy a Honda CR-V or a Jeep.

Norm
2005 Dutch Star 4015, Cummins ISL 370 hp
2007 Honda CR-V
See Ya Down The Road
http://www.seeya-downtheroad.com

Posted By: Badeye on 08/30/11 01:57pm

NavyChaps,

The transmission that is giving them the problem is the one that was co-developed by GM and Ford and is the one that is giving Ford so many problems in the Escape. Some owners have had multiple replacements. I looked into an Escape before I started looking at the Cruze but did not know about the common transmission till much later.

Badeye

Posted By: sdometahi on 08/30/11 02:15pm

Badeye wrote:

NavyChaps,

The transmission that is giving them the problem is the one that was co-developed by GM and Ford and is the one that is giving Ford so many problems in the Escape. Some owners have had multiple replacements. I looked into an Escape before I started looking at the Cruze but did not know about the common transmission till much later.

Badeye

My friend had towing problems with the 2010 escape even though ford said it was good.They fixed it under warrenty.He,s never had a problem since?

Posted By: sdometahi on 08/30/11 02:18pm

Norm Payne wrote:

Badeye wrote:

How do we determine which vehicles are flat towable and which are not if we cannot depend on the car manufacturer's Owner's Manual? In the case of the Cruze and the Malibu both manuals said that it was flat towable. I am truly dissapointed in GM.

Badeye

actually a Trail blazer or envoy are much nicer vehicles and tow very well problem free.The CRV is small and ugly and as far as iam concerned jeeps are overpriced and over rated junk .JMHO

Posted By: Executive on 08/30/11 02:24pm

actually a Trail blazer or envoy are much nicer vehicles and tow very well problem free.The CRV is small and ugly and as far as iam concerned jeeps are overpriced and over rated junk .JMHO

sdometahi, why not tell us how you REALLY feel about Honda and Jeep........Dennis

MY SENSE OF HUMOR IS THE MAIN REASON I'LL MOST LIKELY GO TO HELL !
Dennis and Debi Fifth Year Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

Posted By: Badeye on 08/30/11 02:32pm

Executive,

I would but the cost is a factor, fuel mileage and they are heavier. I got rid of a very good Dodge Durango for those reasons (fuel mileage and weight). It did tow well and if I had known what I was getting in to I would still have it.

Badeye

Posted By: gbopp on 08/30/11 02:36pm

Get something with a manual transmission, before they become extinct.

Posted By: sdometahi on 08/30/11 02:50pm

Dear Chevrolet Customer:

As the owner of a 2011 model year Chevrolet Cruze, equipped with a 6-speed automatic transmission, your satisfaction with our product is very important to us.

We are contacting you to make you aware that General Motors has received reports of transmissions overheating while towing 2011 model year Chevrolet Cruze vehicles, equipped with a 6-speed automatic transmission, with all four wheels on the ground (dinghy towing). In a few cases, this had led to damage to internal transmission components, and required replacement of the transmission.

General Motors requires that if you tow your vehicle, you tow it with the rear wheels on the ground and the front wheels up on a device know as a dolly, following the instructions provided by the dolly manufacturer.

Enclosed is a revised page to update your Cruze Owner Manual which contains revised instructions regarding towing your Cruze. Please take a moment to insert this supplement into Section 10 of your Owner Manual for future reference.

If you have any questions or concerns, please contact the Chevrolet Customer Assistance Center at 1-800-222-1020 (TTY 1-800-833-2438)

We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.
Jim Moloney

(this also includes the malibu with the same 6 speed automatic)

Posted By: sepisllib on 08/30/11 02:57pm

Executive wrote:

sdometahi, why not tell us how you REALLY feel about Honda and Jeep........Dennis

*******************************************************************************************************************************************

Actually Dennis - the "toad" I miss the most is the one that is not towable 4 down.

I owned a Dodge Caravan for a while and installed the pump and towed it 4 down then. Beautiful towing unit - and plenty of room for carrying "stuff" and relatives when out running and visiting.

Wish I had my Caravan back - even though I had to install the pump (only took an hour or so of work to install).

My Malibu tows great and now have well over 25,000 towed miles on her - I just miss the room.

You following my transition to residential fridge?

God Bless

Bill

Posted By: univmd on 08/30/11 03:00pm

GM will probably continue to cover a blown transmission on a Malibu unless they send out an official letter like they did with the Cruze right?

2008 Gulfstream Tourmaster
2011 Honda CRV
Blue Ox Baseplate & Socket Wiring
Blue Ox Alladin Tow Bar
US Gear Unified Tow Brake

Posted By: sdometahi on 08/30/11 03:03pm

univmd wrote:

GM will probably continue to cover a blown transmission on a Malibu unless they send out an official letter like they did with the Cruze right?

I think one has to realize that they more than likely have already done that?
My example just happened to be for a Cruze owner
same transmission-same problem

Posted By: wny_pat on 08/30/11 11:09pm

sdometahi wrote:

wa8yxm wrote:

Before you give up on your dream car.. Check with remco Towing

(Just google remocotowing)

They have a vheilce application tool on their web site.. May be you can MAKE it towable.. I don't know.. I know they made my car towable.

I dont beleive even Remco knows all
Quote:
According to Remco Towing, the 6 speed automatic (6T70 transmission) is towable 4 down as is.

The cruz with the 6T70 trans is NOT towable 4 down according to GM
I don't believe that the Cruze has a 6T70. I believe it has the 6T40. And the 6T40 is not towable.

“All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware.”

Posted By: wny_pat on 08/30/11 11:28pm

sdometahi wrote:

why_pat? not sure why U posted what u did.Its very very evident that the 2011+2012 Cruz and the 2012 malibu are not towable 4 down with the 6 speed automatic? READ previous posts.Gm finally realized they were having problems and hence are notifing owners and adding a change to the instruction/owners manual.
Just who said the Malibu was not towable 4 down??? The 2010/2011 Malibu has a different 6 speed automatic than what the Cruize has. And that 6 Speed manual (6T70) in the Malibu is towable 4 down. The 6T70 is the same transmission that is in some models of the 2007 Saturn Outlook, GMC Acadia, 2008 Chevrolet Equinox, 2009 Chevrolet Traverse, 2010 Chevrolet Equinox.

Posted By: NavyChaps on 08/31/11 07:05am

Posted By: tommy g on 08/30/11 03:30pm

HONDA ACCORD!!!

1998 Bounder 36s F53 460 V8 & Honda Accord toad

Posted By: wny_pat on 08/30/11 04:09pm

see below

Posted By: wny_pat on 08/30/11 04:12pm

Badeye wrote:

Badeye

Here's your answer: According to Remco Towing, the 6 speed automatic (6T70 transmission) is towable 4 down as is. The 4 speed automatic (4T45 transmission) is towable 4 down as is. The 4 speed automatic (4T65E transmission) is towable 4 down with a LP1 lube pump kit. The 2012 Malibu has the 6T40 transmission. They don't list that one.

But Remco said your 2011 Cruze automatic was towable 4 down until Chevy did the recall.

The Ford Focus is nice. But not automatic. And Ford is having trouble deciding what is what with some of their automatics.

* This post was edited 08/30/11 04:25pm by wny_pat *

Posted By: wny_pat on 08/30/11 04:35pm

univmd wrote:

The Chevy Cruze has a different transmission than the Malibu. Cruze has the 6T40 auto tranny. The Malibu transmissions appear to be heavier duty. But watch out for the 2012 Malibu which it appears will have that not so nice 6T40.

* This post was edited 08/30/11 04:49pm by wny_pat *

Posted By: mowermech on 08/30/11 04:39pm

gbopp wrote:

In spite of what some think, not all vehicles with manual transmissions are towable four down!

Personally, I like my Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited. I find it to be comfortable even on long trips (1500 miles is about the longest I have done in it). Sure, it gets about 18 MPG, but everything I drove in my younger years got that or less, so it is no big thing to me, I'm used to it. It tows behind the Tioga very nicely, with NO special requirements or modifications!
It works for me!

CM1, USN (RET)
2002 Fleetwood Southwind 32V, Ford V10
Toad 1: '06 PT Cruiser, Kar Kaddy dolly
Toy (and Toad 2): 2001 Dodge QC SWB, 360 Magnum, Auto, 4X4
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

Posted By: JohnnyT on 08/30/11 04:46pm

Moved from class A forum

Posted By: sdometahi on 08/30/11 04:55pm

why_pat? not sure why U posted what u did.Its very very evident that the 2011+2012 Cruz and the 2012 malibu are not towable 4 down with the 6 speed automatic? READ previous posts.Gm finally realized they were having problems and hence are notifing owners and adding a change to the instruction/owners manual.

Posted By: Leeblev on 08/30/11 05:06pm

Badeye-go to www.remcotowing.com and put the make/model of a vehicle you want to tow.
I was assured by Toyota that the 5 sp. manual pickup I was ordering was towable w/o modifications. Not so, according to Remco. Camp World was reluctant to sell me the tow equipment since the vehicle I wanted to tow wasn't. (how about that for Camp World!) Went back to Toyota with a printout from the website and after going through the sales and maint. manager and a mechanic, the sales manager called Remco and toyota and finally found out that I would have to stop every 100 miles and run the truck 5 min. to oil the tranny. Found from Remco, not toyota, that theonly model of the truck I wanted that was towable 4 down was the 4 wheel drive with Manual xfer case. I promptly cancelled my order, based on the fact that two sales persons, a mechanic and sales manager had assured me that it was towable. They tried to get me to take the 4 wheel, but I had no desire for it and stuck to my guns. Deal Cancelled.
I believe Remco has the best listing to towable vehicles around.

Lee
2001 36' Kountry Star DP

Posted By: wa8yxm on 08/30/11 05:13pm

They have a vheilce application tool on their web site.. May be you can MAKE it towable.. I don't know.. I know they made my car towable.

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

Posted By: sdometahi on 08/30/11 05:27pm

wa8yxm wrote:

I dont beleive even Remco knows all
Quote:
According to Remco Towing, the 6 speed automatic (6T70 transmission) is towable 4 down as is.

The cruz with the 6T70 trans is NOT towable 4 down according to GM

Posted By: sundancer268 on 08/30/11 07:28pm

My 2005 Ford Focus Automatic is not tow-able four down either, But I have been towing it for three years now with no problems. I just run the engine at idle while towing to keep the transmission lubricated and do not worry about the mileage on the odometer as when I am done with my vehicles after 10 or 15 years they are not worth very much anyway. The Ford was my choice in 05 and I am still very happy with it. I would get another one if Ford still made the Wagon. I guess my next and last new car in 5 or 10 years will be a Subaru wagon which is also not tow able. Good Luck with your choice and the choice is yours to make, to do as I do or replace it because GM sold you a lie. Personally if you like the car I would just run the engine while towing and enjoy the vehicle. Happy travels.

U. S. Navy (RETIRED) 1993
1995 Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser 34' Diesel Pusher Cummins B5.9 12 Valve Engine, Allison MD-3060 6 Speed Transmission.
TOAD: 2005 Ford Focus Automatic Station Wagon
Road Master Sterling All-Terrain

Posted By: gbopp on 08/30/11 07:30pm

mowermech wrote:

gbopp wrote:

In spite of what some think, not all vehicles with manual transmissions are towable four down!

Personally, I like my Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited. I find it to be comfortable even on long trips (1500 miles is about the longest I have done in it). Sure, it gets about 18 MPG, but everything I drove in my younger years got that or less, so it is no big thing to me, I'm used to it. It tows behind the Tioga very nicely, with NO special requirements or modifications!
It works for me!

Yes, I am aware that not all manual transmissions are towable 4 down.
But thanks for pointing it out to others who may not know.
I'l looking for a toad now, and the Wrangler is at the top of the list.

Posted By: GM Engineer on 08/30/11 09:04pm

To clarify a TON of misinformation here:

The joint venture 6 spd, was the larger varient that is used with larger V6 engines. GM's version is the 6T70/75. Fords version is the 6F50/55.

The smaller 6spd, 6T40/45/50 varient, is not a joint venture. The details I do not know, but Ford, I think, bought the basic design or the right to use the powerflow. Again, the exact details I don't know. They took our design, made it their own, and produce what is known as the 6F35. It looks very similar to GM's.

The Transmission in the Cruze is the 6T40. The Malibu also uses the 6T40, as do a number of other GM vehicles. However, they utilize some different hardware internally.

The V6 in the Malibu will be mated with the 6T70. The 4 cyl is mated to the 6T40.

All the above info can be readily obtained on GM's sites or press releases.

I'm not aware of what the 2012 owners manual says. Prior years state in the owners manual. There are members here and on other forums that have reported towing current generation Malibus with no issues, both with the 6T70 and the 6T40 transmissions.

Posted By: The Texan on 09/06/11 08:31am

I would call the rep back and tell him you want that in writing, on a GM letterhead. After all that has gone back and forth, I would NOT trust Government Motors as far as I could throw them....

Bob & Betsy(FishNFanatic) - USN Aviation Ret'd '78 & LEO Ret'd '03 & "Oath Keeper Forever"
'05 HR Endeavor 40PRQ, 400 Cummins-Pulling our '11 Silverado LT, Ex Cab 6.2L NHT 4x4, w/ the Rzr or ACE or a Quad riding in back.
Where the wheels are stopped today

Posted By: Badeye on 09/09/11 07:00pm

Got my Malibu back from the shop today after getting the base plate and wiring installed. Also had the connections for the Ready Brake installed. Very nice, clean install. Will be taking the Malibu and motorhome out on the road for a test run early next week. Want to do this before going out on a trip in case there are any problems. Thanks for all the comments while I was getting the towability questions answered. Just a note, I received a second call yesterday from the Area Rep reassuring me that the Malibu was towable four down. I guess the first long trip will be the real test.

I would like to hear from anyone that has towed either a 2011 or 2012 Malibu and their comments on the vehicle.

Badeye

Posted By: dleslie125 on 09/07/11 12:59pm

quaddriver wrote:

Actually, the tranny was not designed with 4 down towing in mind, it was just hoped that it was possible.

From the Tech articles I've seen (including one written by the fellow from Ford who headed their side of the project (Ram Krishnaswami), as they were doing their development they found a simple modification that would allow vehicles with the transmission to be towed flat. An article in DriveLine in 2007 pointed out that this was, according to GM and Ford, a feature of both the Ford and GM transmissions that came out of the development.

2011 Itasca Impulse 26QP Silver Toad 2014 Jeep Cherokee Limited
New W-I Class C Yahoo Group
07 Jayco 32SS Kodiak 8.1 • 06 HR Amb 40PLQ ISC • 04 Winnie Jrny 39W CAT • 2000 Triple E CDR F53
Member Super C RV Group

Posted By: Retiredblade on 09/07/11 04:10am

Lets tame this down a little, GM stays for General Motors, but because they got a government hand out with tax payers money, some people, and I once in a while call them Government Motors. Seems though, no one puts the mouth on Chrysler, does anyone remember that they received a government bailout, in the 1950's, which they paid back, then in the 80's, which they paid back, I wonder if they will be able to pay back the present bail out? How about we call them Welfare motors? Without the taxpayers they would be gone a long time ago, I'm glad they are around, I use to be a Chrysler man, they put out some great cars through out the years.

Posted By: The Texan on 09/07/11 11:23am

lryrob9301 wrote:

Yes the new General Motors ( after bankruptcy ) repaid their portion of the bailout but the old GM hasn't paid a dime.
Sorry, but the "new" GM has NOT repaid all they borrowed. Do some research and you will find they only repaid a portion of what they borrowed and then tried to make the public think they had repaid all of it....Good try. but not everyone was fooled. My understanding is that they also still owe Canada a very large portion of what they borrowed up there.

Posted By: lryrob9301 on 09/07/11 11:09am

Chrysler has repaid the federal government loans by securing private equity loans from the investment banking industry. The interesting thing that is never mentioned in any of these post is the $3 Billion General Motors Holding (the old General Motors) still owes the government and is not repaying. Yes the new General Motors ( after bankruptcy ) repaid their portion of the bailout but the old GM hasn't paid a dime. Who is General Motors Holding you ask? It is the old GM that owns all the closed factories and closed dealerships that are toxic "assets" that can't be sold because there are no buyers willing to purchase them with all the "strings" that are attached.

2013 Tiffin Phaeton 40QBH
2011 Scion x/B Toad

Posted By: quaddriver on 09/07/11 11:38am

Actually, the tranny was not designed with 4 down towing in mind, it was just hoped that it was possible.

In the old days the pan was well below the gear train and it was a slightly hidden secret that you could overfill by 2-3 quarts to overcome cracks in the casing for pickup reasons to avoid sucking air. by moving the pan 'up', more oil is in the case, slightly touched by the direct/output drum/shell - and hereby whipped into a frenzy. but the input to the pump has less chance of gulping O2.

real world experience shows that aint working

I know its blasphemy, but towing on a dolly is always going to be better for the towee....(hit a bump on manual transmission that is fully synched with a broken snap ring and the resulting jump into gear will be humorous....for bystanders not in the path of ejected parts)

BTW I just registered, I was researching Onan part x-ref for my BGE in my Minnie and this came up. Real close to rvforum.net as well.... then I saw this and had to respond. So take this as my own version of an intro!

Quaddriver - go fast, run over sh....stuff

Posted By: dleslie125 on 09/07/11 12:00pm

GM and Chrysler. There are two aspects to the money the Feds in the US and Canada injected. One portion was a loan and that has been repaid. The other part was EQUITY and Fiat has purchased the equity portions held by the Government of Canada at a price that resulted in a loss. Same for US I understand.

Until the US Government unloads all of its GM stock you will not know if there is a loss or profit. Given where the price is now they should not be in a hurray to unload.

Posted By: The Texan on 09/06/11 06:23pm

MotorHomeGuy wrote:

The Texan wrote:

I would call the rep back and tell him you want that in writing, on a GM letterhead. After all that has gone back and forth, I would NOT trust Government Motors as far as I could throw them....

It's mind baffling how some people act as though they know what they are talking about when they really don't... GM stands for General Motors.
As long as the government has control, it will be "Government Motors". General Motors lost their standing, when they sold out to the government and another bunch...

Posted By: dleslie125 on 09/06/11 06:44pm

The Texan wrote:

MotorHomeGuy wrote:

The Texan wrote:

It's mind baffling how some people act as though they know what they are talking about when they really don't... GM stands for General Motors.
As long as the government has control, it will be "Government Motors". General Motors lost their standing, when they sold out to the government and another bunch...

Methinks you have that wrong. They didn't sell out, they went through a bankruptcy process - and very quickly even though all the opponents said it would take years (shows what they really knew).

Posted By: Badeye on 09/06/11 08:28am

It seems that after consulting with the engineering department, GM has now decided that the 2011 and 2012 Malibu are towable. I received a call from thed Area Representative stating that it was.

I now plan to go ahead with the installation of the base plate and tow it. I will just be careful to follow the instructions about starting and running it on each stop to lubricate the transmission.

Here is hoping that this information is correct and that I do not have any problems.

Badeye

Posted By: MotorHomeGuy on 09/06/11 01:34pm

The Texan wrote:

Ron
"You don't stop playing because you grow old, You grow old because you stop playing."

Mt. Olive Shores North, Polk City, FL (Winters)
2013 Entegra Cornerstone 45J
2011 Jeep Rubicon

Posted By: dleslie125 on 09/06/11 02:00pm

MotorHomeGuy wrote:

The Texan wrote:

MHG - I think you missed it. He used his version of GM because of the fact that the US and Canadian governments have voting control. I think he should have included a smilie.

Posted By: Stennis on 09/05/11 03:45pm

Vehicles are like people. Beauty (or ugly) is in the eye of the beholder. That said, of the five dingy's I can recall, an AWD CR-V automatic was our favorite. Not an off-road unit but the AWD handled the few slick spots and the MPG was not bad. With rear seats folded down, it was amazing what it could haul. If we still had the large class A, we would have a CR-V.

We now have a Honda Fit dingy but only because we went to a smaller class C and wanted a lighter dingy.

Both my wife and I preferred to drive it for short trips. Only for long trips did we go for the big car.

If I were again looking for a dingy, a CR-V would certainly one of those considered.

Good luck with the mess GM has made.

Posted By: keeneyj on 09/03/11 09:00pm

We bought a 2010 Malibu to dingy tow. Leaving for our first long trip. Have only towed it less than a 100 miles so far. Have invested $2750 getting it ready. From what I've read the 2010 is safe to tow 4 down. I guess we will see.

Posted By: dleslie125 on 08/31/11 09:31am

Badeye wrote:

NavyChaps,

Badeye

Not complete. The entire 6 speed line was done jointly by Ford and GM, not just the 6T49 and 6F35 units used in these two vehicles.

Posted By: dleslie125 on 08/31/11 09:34am

wny_pat wrote:

sdometahi wrote:

Just who said the Malibu was not towable 4 down??? The 2010/2011 Malibu has a different 6 speed automatic than what the Cruize has. And that 6 Speed manual (6T70) in the Malibu is towable 4 down. The 6T70 is the same transmission that is in some models of the 2007 Saturn Outlook, GMC Acadia, 2008 Chevrolet Equinox, 2009 Chevrolet Traverse, 2010 Chevrolet Equinox.

Please note - go to the GM web site and look at the specs. You will find that the 4 cylinder Malibu has the 6T40 and the 6 cylinder unit has the 6T70.

Posted By: Ault on 08/31/11 06:27pm

That is correct the Malibu 4 cyl. has the same trans. as the Cruze. The V6 Malibu has a different trans.

Posted By: Badeye on 09/01/11 03:32pm

I have received a call directly from a GM Customer Service Supervison informing me that the 2011 and 2012 Malibu and Cruze are NOT towable 4 down. They are now working to find a solution for me.

Badeye

Posted By: dleslie125 on 09/01/11 04:12pm

Badeye wrote:

I have received a call directly from a GM Customer Service Supervison informing me that the 2011 and 2012 Malibu and Cruze are NOT towable 4 down. They are now working to find a solution for me.

Badeye

Badeye, this one really puzzles me. Did they say that the 6 cylinder Malibu with the 6T70 transmission is NOT towable? OR were they just referring to the 4 cylinder Malibu that has the 6T40? If they said that the 6T70 is also not towable, how do they justify that since it is in the V6 Equinox and Terrain models?

Print  |  Close