Motorhome Magazine Open Roads Forum: Malibu With 6 Speed NOT Towable 4 Down UPDATE 9-9-11
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Dinghy Towing

Open Roads Forum  >  Dinghy Towing

> Malibu With 6 Speed NOT Towable 4 Down UPDATE 9-9-11

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
dleslie125

Southern Ontario/Palmetto FL in Winter

View Profile

Posted: 08/31/11 09:31am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Badeye wrote:

NavyChaps,

The transmission that is giving them the problem is the one that was co-developed by GM and Ford and is the one that is giving Ford so many problems in the Escape. Some owners have had multiple replacements. I looked into an Escape before I started looking at the Cruze but did not know about the common transmission till much later.

Badeye

Not complete. The entire 6 speed line was done jointly by Ford and GM, not just the 6T49 and 6F35 units used in these two vehicles.

2011 Itasca Impulse 26QP Silver Toad 2014 Jeep Cherokee Limited
New W-I Class C Yahoo Group
07 Jayco 32SS Kodiak 8.1 • 06 HR Amb 40PLQ ISC • 04 Winnie Jrny 39W CAT • 2000 Triple E CDR F53
Member Super C RV Group

dleslie125

View Profile

Posted: 08/31/11 09:34am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wny_pat wrote:

sdometahi wrote:

why_pat? not sure why U posted what u did.Its very very evident that the 2011+2012 Cruz and the 2012 malibu are not towable 4 down with the 6 speed automatic? READ previous posts.Gm finally realized they were having problems and hence are notifing owners and adding a change to the instruction/owners manual.
Just who said the Malibu was not towable 4 down??? The 2010/2011 Malibu has a different 6 speed automatic than what the Cruize has. And that 6 Speed manual (6T70) in the Malibu is towable 4 down. The 6T70 is the same transmission that is in some models of the 2007 Saturn Outlook, GMC Acadia, 2008 Chevrolet Equinox, 2009 Chevrolet Traverse, 2010 Chevrolet Equinox.

Please note - go to the GM web site and look at the specs. You will find that the 4 cylinder Malibu has the 6T40 and the 6 cylinder unit has the 6T70.

keeneyj

van buren

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/03/11 09:00pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We bought a 2010 Malibu to dingy tow. Leaving for our first long trip. Have only towed it less than a 100 miles so far. Have invested $2750 getting it ready. From what I've read the 2010 is safe to tow 4 down. I guess we will see.

Ault

Fort Walton Beach, Florida

View Profile

Posted: 08/31/11 06:27pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That is correct the Malibu 4 cyl. has the same trans. as the Cruze. The V6 Malibu has a different trans.

Badeye

Bonaire GA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/01/11 03:32pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have received a call directly from a GM Customer Service Supervison informing me that the 2011 and 2012 Malibu and Cruze are NOT towable 4 down. They are now working to find a solution for me.

Badeye

"No one can guarantee success, only effort."

Bob & Fran
2005 Coachmen Sportscoach Elite 40 ft DP
2012 Chevy Malibu
Ready Brute Tow Bar
Ready Brake Tow Brake
FMCA F324606

dleslie125

View Profile

Posted: 09/01/11 04:12pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Badeye wrote:

I have received a call directly from a GM Customer Service Supervison informing me that the 2011 and 2012 Malibu and Cruze are NOT towable 4 down. They are now working to find a solution for me.

Badeye

Badeye, this one really puzzles me. Did they say that the 6 cylinder Malibu with the 6T70 transmission is NOT towable? OR were they just referring to the 4 cylinder Malibu that has the 6T40? If they said that the 6T70 is also not towable, how do they justify that since it is in the V6 Equinox and Terrain models?

The Texan

Cascade, Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 09/06/11 08:31am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would call the rep back and tell him you want that in writing, on a GM letterhead. After all that has gone back and forth, I would NOT trust Government Motors as far as I could throw them....

Bob & Betsy(FishNFanatic) - USN Aviation Ret'd '78 & LEO Ret'd '03 & "Oath Keeper Forever"
'05 HR Endeavor 40PRQ, 400 Cummins-Pulling our '11 Silverado LT, Ex Cab 6.2L NHT 4x4, w/ the Rzr or ACE or a Quad riding in back.
Where the wheels are stopped today

Badeye

Bonaire GA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/06/11 08:28am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It seems that after consulting with the engineering department, GM has now decided that the 2011 and 2012 Malibu are towable. I received a call from thed Area Representative stating that it was.

I now plan to go ahead with the installation of the base plate and tow it. I will just be careful to follow the instructions about starting and running it on each stop to lubricate the transmission.

Here is hoping that this information is correct and that I do not have any problems.

Badeye

MotorHomeGuy

Polk City, FL

View Profile

Posted: 09/06/11 01:34pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The Texan wrote:

I would call the rep back and tell him you want that in writing, on a GM letterhead. After all that has gone back and forth, I would NOT trust Government Motors as far as I could throw them....

It's mind baffling how some people act as though they know what they are talking about when they really don't... GM stands for General Motors.

Ron
"You don't stop playing because you grow old, You grow old because you stop playing."

Mt. Olive Shores North, Polk City, FL (Winters)
2013 Entegra Cornerstone 45J
2011 Jeep Rubicon

Stennis

Starkville, Mississippi

View Profile

Posted: 09/05/11 03:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Vehicles are like people. Beauty (or ugly) is in the eye of the beholder. That said, of the five dingy's I can recall, an AWD CR-V automatic was our favorite. Not an off-road unit but the AWD handled the few slick spots and the MPG was not bad. With rear seats folded down, it was amazing what it could haul. If we still had the large class A, we would have a CR-V.

We now have a Honda Fit dingy but only because we went to a smaller class C and wanted a lighter dingy.

Both my wife and I preferred to drive it for short trips. Only for long trips did we go for the big car.

If I were again looking for a dingy, a CR-V would certainly one of those considered.

Good luck with the mess GM has made.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Dinghy Towing

> Malibu With 6 Speed NOT Towable 4 Down UPDATE 9-9-11
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Dinghy Towing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Motorhome Magazine | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS