Open Roads Forum

Print  |  Close

Topic: Arctic Fox trailers

Posted By: lmay on 08/28/11 07:51am

Are Arctic Fox trailers a good brand to buy. How do they hold up and does the manufactor support their warrenty? We are looking to buy a 27T travel trailer

Posted By: jmtandem on 08/28/11 08:05am

They are a good brand, albeit heavy. Many are over 10,000 gvwr and are considered a 'four season' trailer. Northwood Mfg. makes their own frames for their trailers in deference to using somebody elses frames and most models come with nice extras like mud flaps on the rear tires and shocks on the axles. I doubt you could go wrong with one.

'05 Dodge Cummins 4x4 dually 3500 white quadcab auto long bed.
'09 299bhs Tango.

Posted By: Dick_B on 08/28/11 09:23am

For objective reviews of most of the RV's out there contact the RV Consumer Group; www.rv.org
When researching RV's in 2003 I bought their book and spent many hours checking out the ratings of TT's and eventually settled on SunnyBrook.

Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two bikes (both Electric Schwinn's with motor assist)

Posted By: downtheroad on 08/28/11 08:15am

Good trailer...upper end of the travel trailer group..Good reputation.
Heavy..you will need a decent tow vehicle.

"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."
GMC Duramax LBZ
Komfort
Reese Dual Cam HP
Our Rig Picture...CLICK HERE

Posted By: The Texan on 08/28/11 08:47am

Arctic Fox and Nash, same company, are IMHO, 2 of the best TT on the market. Well built, 4 season TTs from a company that stands behind their product.

Bob & Betsy(FishNFanatic) - USN Aviation Ret'd '78 & LEO Ret'd '03 & "Oath Keeper Forever"
'05 HR Endeavor 40PRQ, 400 Cummins-Pulling our '11 Silverado LT, Ex Cab 6.2L NHT 4x4, w/'10 Rzr or '13 Suzuki 500 riding in back.
Where the wheels are stopped today

Posted By: mockturtle on 08/28/11 08:07am

The decal graphics don't seem to hold up very well. I see a lot of them coming off.

2000 Born Free 24RB Class C
6.8L Ford V-10 Engine, E450 Chassis

Posted By: Steamguy on 08/28/11 11:38am

We have an eleven-year-old Arctic Fox 26J and it is still a good trailer. We occasionally consider trading but when we look at what's out there, we decide to stay with ours. It's been down a lot of questionable roads and has a lot of miles under its wheels; still everything works, nothing's broken; we couldn't say that for our other travel trailers. We often camp in the winter and have been perfectly comfortable.

As to the previous poster who seems to think they all weigh over 10,000 pounds, ours scales out at 7,000 pounds on the wheels: packed, watered (yes I tow with a full tank - gasp...), and ready to go for a week.

You may want to go over toNorthwood's Arctic Fox and Nash Forum and ask your question also.

Posted By: SooperDaddy on 08/28/11 10:02am

Still a family owned company..which is getting very rare lately! Customer support is better than average, quality is quite good, and only a handful of RV manufacturers build their own chassis frames, a production manager told me that Northwood/Nash used Lippert, but were not happy with the inconsistent quality, so they design and build from scratch. NuWa, Carriage, Newmar and very high end RV manufactures do this also.

My posts shouldn't be taken for factual data, and are purely fictional, for entertainment purposes, should not be constituted as related to scientific, technical, engineering, legal, religious, spiritual, or practical advice. After all it's FREE! Amen.

Posted By: fla-gypsy on 08/28/11 04:59pm

AF is a premier brand

This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

Posted By: jmtandem on 08/28/11 05:15pm

Quote:

a production manager told me that Northwood/Nash used Lippert, but were not happy with the inconsistent quality, so they design and build from scratch.

For a time Northwood expanded production to the east coast, those were the ones with Lippert frames, not any built in Oregon.

When Ron Nash, the owner, suffered a stroke the interm management team decided to make existing dealers carry more of a full line of their Northwood products. That essentially ended many dealer's financial interests in selling their products. Too bad, they lost some very good dealers through that decision.

Posted By: nvreloader on 08/28/11 01:43pm

Another +
And check out the Desert Fox Toy Hauler series,they provide more options than the standard TT, if you are into the great outdoors activity's. These TH are very tough, heavy duty built, 4 seasons rated and can be used all the way to the end of the road, where the Fun begins. They also enjoy the same great company support, if needed.
Don

2010 F-350,6.4PSD, 6spd man trans,CC,SWB,SRW, Caravan camper shell,50 gal bed tank,17,000lb Husky WD hitch,Northwoods 2008 28KS Desert Fox Toy Hauler,2005 Honda 500 Rubicon ATV w/rumble seat,1 Aussie waiting,watching and ridin shotgun on the whole outfit.

Posted By: wcjeep on 08/28/11 09:59am

We have an arctic fox truck camper. The insulation is great. Definitely 4 season rated. Also heavy.

Posted By: JayWalker2009 on 08/28/11 11:45am

I have heard nothing but good things about this brand.

As for it being heavier than the average TT of similar size, one would expect that since they are getting a very heavy duty unit.

Posted By: KZCRAZY on 08/28/11 04:45pm

Two of our dealers in the area stopped carring them due to them not paying for warrenty work performed. Other than that I have heard great things about them.

2011 F350 6.7 Dually
2009 KZ Inferno 4012 SL
2008 Smart Car
2 - 2011 M50's

Posted By: Fisherguy on 08/28/11 08:46pm

coolbreeze01 wrote:

We looked at both Komfort and AF. The AF is also well done. Good luck.

We did too, also went with a Komfort, mostly cuz we didn't like the AF floorplans.
That being said Komfort cut back on the full sized trailers to introduce a new lighter, cheaper line.

AF in NOT immune to delamination problems.

06 Dodge Ram 3500 Cummins 6 spd std with a few goodies.

2007 Komfort 274TS, SteadyFast stabilizers, Trimetric 2025RV, PD9280, Honda EU2000i, Xantrex SW600, shocks and EZ-Flex suspension, Reese Strait-Line

Posted By: Midnightpumpkin on 08/28/11 06:14pm

jmtandem wrote:

Quote:

As to the previous poster who seems to think they all weigh over 10,000 pounds, ours scales out at 7,000 pounds on the wheels: packed, watered (yes I tow with a full tank - gasp...), and ready to go for a week.

The OP asked about the 27 foot trailers. None have a gross weight rating less than 10,000 pounds.

A gross weight rating of 10,000 pounds, means the frame, axles, wheels, tires, brakes, are all rated to carry a load of 10,000 pounds. That does not in any way mean that the trailer weighs 10,000 pounds.

A previous poster said his Artic Fox/Nash weighed 7000 pounds. This leaves a payload and safety margin of 3000 pounds. That's a very good thing.

My Rockwood for example has a gross weight rating of 7500 pounds, with a payload and safety margin of 900 pound, not a good thing.

I would buy and Artic Fox /Nash product in a heartbeat!

John U

Midnight pumpkin

2014 Silverado 2500 Crew cab, regular bed, 4:10 gears, 6 spd, 6.0L Gas
Integrated Brake Controler
Reese Dual Cam HP

2007 Rockwood 8315SS Travel Trailer
Loaded Weights:
Trailer Axles 6640#, Hitch Wt 920#
Combined Gross Wt, no passengers, 13,855#

Posted By: n7bsn on 08/28/11 09:42pm

FYI, if weight is an issue to you, check out the new brands from Northwoods, Snow River and Fox Creek. Both are lighter then Nash or Arctic Fox. But still made on a Northwoods frame (just lighter framing and cabinets)

But you will find few people complaining about the quality of their Northwoods, or about the factory service.

2008 F350SD V10 with an 2012 Arctic Fox 29-5E
When someone tells you to buy the same rig they own, listen, they might be right. When they tell you to buy a different rig then they own, really pay attention, they probably know something you don't.

Posted By: n7bsn on 08/28/11 09:45pm

mlts22 wrote:

If someone sells AF trailers in central TX, I'd seriously consider one.

Hanner RV (174 miles)

Your local dealer only sells Northwoods Campers

Posted By: n7bsn on 08/28/11 10:50pm

mlts22 wrote:

Thanks. I checked them out, and they have no AF models, and from what their inventory search shows, they seem to have only Nash.

...and at that it's used, and doesn't have a generator bay.

BTW, the difference between a Nash and an Arctic Fox (recent models) is cabinet wood type, and a few other minor items.

Posted By: jmtandem on 08/28/11 07:12pm

Quote:

I would buy and Artic Fox /Nash product in a heartbeat!

Me too.

* This post was edited 08/28/11 07:27pm by jmtandem *

Posted By: jmtandem on 08/28/11 05:18pm

Quote:

The OP asked about the 27 foot trailers. None have a gross weight rating less than 10,000 pounds.

Posted By: coolbreeze01 on 08/28/11 06:11pm

We looked at both Komfort and AF. The AF is also well done. Good luck.

2008 Dodge 3500 With a Really Strong Tractor Motor...........
LB, SRW, 4X4, 6-Speed Auto, 3.73, Prodigy P3, Blue Ox Sway Pro........
2014 Sandsport 26FBSL

Posted By: afraid of bears on 08/28/11 07:11pm

We love our Nash. It is our second unit. We purchased it as it was better suited to our off-the-beaten-path camping than the other brands we looked at. They are well insulated if you like to camp in less than perfect weather. They are heavier than many of the other trailer brands. The folks at the factory are great to talk to if you have any questions.

Posted By: Highway 4x4 on 09/11/11 01:31pm

Thinking of replacing my 02 Sunnybrook this year and AF is on top of the list if Sunnybrook line doesn't have what I want. I find the weight of the AF's to be in line with other quality TT's and many things superior. Can't find the inside height of the new AF Silver fox line. Can't find a dealer in So Cal. Many TT's look good on paper, I'll decide how good they are when I get a chance to really inspect them.

Posted By: mlts22 on 08/28/11 10:13pm

n7bsn wrote:

mlts22 wrote:

Hanner RV (174 miles)

Your local dealer only sells Northwoods Campers

Thanks. I checked them out, and they have no AF models, and from what their inventory search shows, they seem to have only Nash.

Posted By: mlts22 on 08/28/11 09:28pm

No dealers in my neck of the woods, but the AF has one feature that no other TT does -- and that is an inboard Onan genset. Toy haulers, MHs, and 5Ws have this, but this is the only TT that has one from the factory.

Posted By: Artemus Gordon on 08/29/11 01:53pm

Saw my first AF yesterday . Nice looking coach!

Print  |  Close