Motorhome Magazine Open Roads Forum: Towing with a Winnebago View Profile
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> Towing with a Winnebago View Profile

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
8horsehitch

New York

View Profile

Posted: 07/31/11 09:04am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Am considering purchasing a Winnie View Profile. Want to know others experience towing a vehicle behind this unit. I have no experience with the V6 turbo diesel. Thanks for any information you can give.

kalynzoo

Los Angeles , California

View Profile

Posted: 07/31/11 11:51am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Why not. Just watch your combined gross vehicle weight.

Granbury

View Profile

Posted: 07/31/11 06:02pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

8horsehitch: I have the Sprinter diesel chassis. The chassis has a 3500 maximum tow rating. You will have to keep the toad to a light weight. I have a Smart car weighing 1808 pounds. But, I will trailer the Smart car with a 1750 pound trailer. Right at my maximum tow weight with fuel, etc. in Smart car. To much controversy on if the Smart car is towable on all four. Factory states "yes" in one e-mail and "no" in second e-mail. Plus, butchering up the grill to accomodate a tow bar, etc. hurts the trade-in value. It's an indication the car has been towed. Smart car salesman stated they would seriuosly depreciate the vehicle, if they accept it as a trade-in. Good luck and conduct research before you make a decision.

carringb

Corvallis, OR

View Profile

Posted: 07/31/11 11:28pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Towing a toad at the 3500 is very doable, but may slow you down on steeper grades. Aux brakes are a must.

Towing a trailer.... that is less feasible. The short wheelbase means trailer tongue weight is likely to overload the rear axle (if it isn't already).

Bryan

2000 Ford E350 DRW Wagon, V10 - 385,000 miles
2014 CreekSide 31KQBS (QuadSlide bunkhouse)

ron.dittmer

Northern Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 08/01/11 05:49am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Why not simply order a new front grille for the Smart Car? Or leave the grille off? I did that with my 2100 pound Toyota MR2 Spyder. I left the grill off the car. I later sold the car with the tow bar still on it, and included the grill with the sale. Because I kept the car in mint condition, the buyer didn't care that it was towed for a while. The first thing he did when he got home was removing the bar and putting the grill back on.

On the Phoenix Cruiser forum, someone HERE asked the same question and got some replies. I personally think it's a bad idea to trailer a car when it can be towed 4-down. It is so much safer and easier 4-down, and don't worry about re-sale value of the car.

FWIW: A Smart Car is 300 pounds less than my MR2 Spyder was. I did not have secondary braking for the car in tow and I considered it marginal with my 2007 E350, 9200 pound motor home. Though cheaper and more simplified, I cannot recommend towing without secondary brakes.

Today we tow a Jeep Liberty (shown in my sig) to be more adventurous. It also carries our golf clubs inside and a bicycle rack which makes it even more useful than the MR2 could ever be. But still, sometimes I miss that little MR2 Spyder shown here towed behind or motor home.

2007 Phoenix Cruiser model 2350, with 2006 Jeep Liberty in-tow

crasster

Dallas

View Profile

Posted: 08/01/11 09:47am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Have aux brakes, and I'd suggest a smaller tow vehicle like a standard Toyota Yaris.

4 whopping cylinders on Toyota RV's. Talk about great getting good MPG. Also I have a very light foot on the pedal. I followed some MPG advice on Livingpress.com and I now get 22 MPG! Not bad for a home on wheels.

Dakzuki

Carnation, Wa, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/01/11 03:22pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Current Winnebago Sprinter class C RVs have 5000 lb towing capacity with a GCWR of 15,000 or so. If you are full loaded in the RV that leaves you with about 4000 to play with.

I would highly advise you join this group: http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/View-Navion/ It is probably the best pool of knowledge on the View/Navion and possibly all Sprinter based Cs. Many people are towing cars on that forum.

I joined up when I was RV shopping as I had little knowledge of Sprinters.

I pull a 1500 lb trailer with no issues at all.

2011 Itasca Navion 24J
2000 Chev Tracker Toad

PhilR.

Central Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/02/11 06:35am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Something you might look into is towing a Smart Car on a swivel-wheel trailer that is specifically designed for the Smart. This short trailer has a swivel wheel under each corner, so there is hardly any tongue weight. These are easy to back up too, since there is no jack-knifing. I don't know if this type of trailer has a braking system that is compatible with a View, but you could check into that.....

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> Towing with a Winnebago View Profile
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Motorhome Magazine | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS