Open Roads Forum

Print  |  Close

Topic: Towing Problems 3800 Cyclone

Posted By: Rockit Man on 07/07/11 05:26am

I recently purchased a 2012 3800 Heartland Cyclone and a 3500 Dodge Mega Cab D/A. I have a B&W 18k Companion hitch, but when towing I'm getting a lot of jerking front to back, mostly over bumps.

The trailer squats the rear end about six inches, so I added some Firestone air bags to level out the rear of the truck. The air bags helped some, but it's still jerking.

Anybody have any suggestions or ideas on how to stop the jerking?

Posted By: shagan77 on 07/07/11 07:20am

I tow a 3950 HD Cyclone and encountered similar problems. I added a Mor-Ryde hitch and this seemed to make it a lot better. The other thing I found is TH's are notoriously heavy on the pin if that garage is empty. I toss a couple of Harley Ultra's in the back and the ride is smooth as silk. Helps to balance the load on all three axles.

2013 Sierra Denali 3500 Duramax\Dually
2011 Cyclone 3950 HD
2009 Harley Davidson Ultra Classic
2011 Can-Am Spyder RT-S Limited (DW's)
Usually a keg of beer....

Posted By: Y-Guy on 07/07/11 09:55am

Have you weighed your setup to see what your pin weight really is? Next trip out try to get it by a set of CAT scales or something similar to make sure you are probably loaded too.

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J
2011 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Unlimited

Posted By: honda4us on 07/07/11 08:36am

Its the pin weight, a air ride hitch makes a huge differance.

Martin & Wendy
Jessica & Alex
Sundance the guard dog
'15 3500HD C/C LTZ BLACK LMLD/A 4X4,B & W HITCH
'12 3500 EC/LB SRW
'13 Raptor 381LEV W/GOODYEAR G614's
4 Honda ATV's, '14 Can-AM Spyder RT-Limited
Ralleys attended 17 and counting

Posted By: stump_breaker on 07/07/11 07:52am

Doesn't B&W have a spacer pad that goes between the hitch and bed to solve this issue? You may need to contact them as I have read of others with the problem and B&W sent it out for free.

Posted By: dieseltoys on 07/07/11 08:53am

The pin weight on my TH is around 3200. I installed a AirSafe 25K air hitch and the ride is real smooth. A air pin box or air hitch will make a big differance.

Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes."
-- Oscar Wilde --

2012 Dutchmen Voltage 3905, Full Body Paint
2010 Ford F-450 XLT, 6.4L, DRW, AirSafe 25k-Omni

Posted By: gpshemi on 07/08/11 06:24am

Mines a SB. I have the same issue as Mav. I can tow it without air, but the headlights are high. It rides better getting it to either side of the overloads too. What I mean by that is, either fully on it (no air), or fully off it (35psi). If it rides in between (15-25psi) there's a transition from on and off that overload that makes the ride a little harsh or just plain odd.

Truthfully, from the Heartland forum folks, it seems that the best setup for them is a Mor-Ryde system as most folks are familiar with ways to deal with the bucking (level it, change the load, overload spacers, air ride, air hitch, Trail-Air), but chucking is hard to fix 100% - even when properly loaded and level. They just weigh so much. I'm running right around 26k total, which puts my trailer at 17.5k. That's nearly twice the truck. So it's not a wonder it tugs on the truck slightly.

GPSHEMI

06' 3500 Dodge Ram Megacab 4x4 w/ bombed 5.9L
18K Pullrite SuperGlide w/super rails
2010 Heartland Cyclone 3612

Posted By: fly-boy on 07/08/11 08:32am

Rockit Man wrote:

I recently purchased a 2012 3800 Heartland Cyclone and a 3500 Dodge Mega Cab D/A. I have a B&W 18k Companion hitch, but when towing I'm getting a lot of jerking front to back, mostly over bumps.

The trailer squats the rear end about six inches, so I added some Firestone air bags to level out the rear of the truck. The air bags helped some, but it's still jerking.

Six inches of squat is way to much! (air bags are not going to bring the bed up six inches and you want the truck at or near normal ride height while hitched for the best ride.
I would start by making sure the trailer rides level. Since you can't achieve that with the air bags, you need to adjust the hitch and king pin to get things as flat as possible. Then start playing with air bag pressure. With a little trial and error you can eliminate a lot of the issues and then decide if you want an air hitch of some sort.

2012 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax 4x4
2009 WW HKD with a big garage
A few toys

Posted By: nayther on 07/07/11 10:29am

I found that the air bags helped mine a lot as it got the weight off the heavy overload springs and leveled the truck, rides much better now. Would love to get an air ride hitch though to take out the chucking on So Cal freeways. Once I get out of town and on asphalt it smoothes out real nice.

DIRT BIKES RULE

'12 Duramax CC short bed
'06 3005 Rage'n Falcon

Posted By: MadMav on 07/07/11 10:12am

Pin weight has little to nothing to do with chucking(front to back jerking). Check proper fit of the Companion hitch. Make sure the fit to the bed is tight and the jaws are as they should be. A level trailer has a little to do with chucking, and bumps will cause this if the spacing on the road is equal to the spacing between the rear axle and the trailer axles.

An air hitch will mask the problem, but wont solve it. Although, sometimes it's all you can do to get rid of it.

Mav

"A fifth wheel trailer is a bi-level towable mobile home."

Posted By: MadMav on 07/07/11 09:37pm

Rockit Man wrote:

Thanks for all the info. I really do not want to swicth the hitch since I just bought it. Mav do you have air bags on your Dodge?

I do now. I did tow my trailer without them for a bit without issue. Sept the headlights being high at night. Pin is 3550 empty and 3320 loaded. I use 14-15psi in the airbags to keep the headlights in line. That's all.

Mav

Posted By: mapguy on 07/07/11 02:28pm

If trailer is not setup with the frame level and suspension neutral it will ride bad no matter what band-aids are applied. Chucking, tugging, and porpoising action are all intensified if the trailer set up is not level. Weight distribution can be greatly affected if the nose is real high....
It could be a hitch issue being a B&W but there are fixes for this as posted. This is a good hitch system and a great company with actual customer support.

IMO you should make sure hitch is right first. Then make sure truck/trailer combo setup is right. This includes addressing any sag issues. Excessive sag induces porpoising action on the truck suspension.

Posted By: Rockit Man on 07/07/11 01:56pm

Thanks for all the info. I really do not want to swicth the hitch since I just bought it. Mav do you have air bags on your Dodge?

Posted By: Rockit Man on 07/08/11 05:15am

I've been experimenting with air pressure, 40,50,60,70 psi. I'll try it at a lower psi and see if that helps. Mav is your truck a short bed?

Posted By: tjar66 on 07/08/11 02:39pm

I use about 30# in my bags. Just enough to keep off the overload springs I am real close to 2500# of pin weight.

2006 Dodge Ram 3500 Cummins
2007 Desert Fox 305j
2011 Yamaha Raptor 700
2005 Yamaha Raptor 350 Wife's
2004 Honda 450r Sons
2007 Honda 250ex Daughter

Posted By: dodgeguy44 on 07/13/11 08:30pm

I pull a Cyclone 3950 with an 08 Dodge 3500 DRW 2wd, Airsafe hitch, Morryde short pinbox and it only drops my truck about 2 inches. No airbags. Gross trailer weight of 21000 lbs. The truck carries and pulls it great.

The trailer is a piece of******but the truck handles it great.

08 Dodge 3500 2wd 6.7 Cummins 6 spd auto Airsafe 20k hitch
2012 Excel Wild Cargo 41GKE

Posted By: dodgeguy44 on 07/14/11 06:56am

I don't want to hijack this thread. I can post another thread if you would like to know all the necessary repairs I have done.

Posted By: dodgeguy44 on 07/14/11 09:08am

New thread posted.

Posted By: I'm Rick James on 07/14/11 07:27am

dodgeguy44 wrote:

I don't want to hijack this thread. I can post another thread if you would like to know all the necessary repairs I have done.

Either way, lets hear the problems.

Posted By: gpshemi on 07/14/11 08:23am

For sure. Ours has been a great coach, pretty much problem free, and it seems very few are unhappy with Heartland Products. Admittedly, many are worried about the $209M merger though with Thor. So I'm curious as to what all has happened. That's a bummer.

Posted By: gpshemi on 07/14/11 06:06am

WOW...you don't like your Cyclone? What's up with that?

Posted By: gpshemi on 07/08/11 10:00am

??!??

I disagree. I could make mine 4" high if I'd want. Not that it's right of course.
They take 100psi (5,000lbs), and the overloads are a good 3" off the spring pack to start with on my truck (nose low to start). So 5-6" isn't all that hard to believe really with a heavy pin.

Posted By: MadMav on 07/08/11 09:30am

Another thing. Mine only drops 3"s when the trailer is on without air. Not sure why yours would drop 6"s. You might want to verify that you have the correct spring pack on the truck. The 3500 Mega Cab SRW and the 3500 DRW Mega Cab have the same spring pack.

Mav

Posted By: Rockit Man on 07/14/11 10:14am

Thanks. I'll give it a try.

Posted By: Rockit Man on 07/08/11 10:12am

The B&W has three vertical height adjustments. I've tried it on the lower and top. I might try the middle and play aroud with the air pressures.

Posted By: Rockit Man on 07/14/11 08:50am

Being a newbie I would love to hear what problems you've had with your Cyclone.

Posted By: Norcalrockhunter on 07/14/11 09:39am

Rockit Man wrote:

Had the exact same problem with the same hitch set up
got it figured out,
here is what I had to do to solve this
first off I have a 1 ton 3500DWR truck with bags I set mine at or around 50psi loaded not unloaded, 2nd I had to make sure that the B&W hitch was centered in the bed, before you tighen everything up, (there is room for it to move left to right when its loose)
then make sure you the correct mount holes are used on the vertical plate mine is set at center forward to rear and center up and down, tighten the hell out of them, then when mounting the unit make sure ( and this is key here) you tighten the long through bolt first to 40LBS this is a must to do first, this bolt takes a 3/4 inch socket, then tighten the 4 nylock nuts, making sure they are tightened evenly, I have put a light coat of oil on them as they will marr, torque them to 80 psi, of you over tighten them you will stretch the U bolts and then you are in trouble, double check everything, then hook up
the key is to have your trailer as close to level as you can when hooked up or slightly nose up

Print  |  Close