Motorhome Magazine Open Roads Forum: Fuel consumption Onan 2.8 kW -vs- Honda Eu2000i
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class B - Camping Van Conversi...

Open Roads Forum  >  Class B - Camping Van Conversions

> Fuel consumption Onan 2.8 kW -vs- Honda Eu2000i

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
sergeant76

New Bedford, MA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/04/11 01:14pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A friend of ours who is interested in purchasing/ordering a new Class B could not believe the difference between the Onan and the Honda Eu2000i generators, how quiet the Honda was compared to the Onan generator.

I was exercising both generators, after running the Onan I connected the Honda Eu2000i to the RoadTrek Camper had the AC and refrigerator on.

He informed me he would rather order a new Class B without the Onan generator and purchase a Honda Eu2000i. I informed him it is nice with the Onan as the Onan has a remote start, can be started in the RoadTrek, also no concern of someone walking away with the Onan.

We were wondering which generator uses less fuel when running the refrigerator and AC, I say the Honda Eu2000i uses less fuel.

Can anyone figure out approximately how much fuel is used in 1 hour running the Onan -vs- the Honda Eu2000i?

Onan Microlite Generator 2.8 kW
Honda Eu2000i Generator
Dometic AC - 10,200 BTU
Dometic Ref - 3.0 cu.ft

Ron

Ron & Rose Cabral
New Bedford, MA
2010 Chevy/RoadTrek 190 Popular
FMCA-303873 ~K1RRC~ RRCRT@aol.com

Handbasket

Asheville, NC

View Profile

Posted: 07/04/11 02:00pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There should be some fuel consumption data in your Onan owner's manual for it. Dunno if the Honda's will be somewhere on-line, but probably.

Personal minor rant follows ... For my uses (frequent moves, often overnighting in truck stops & rest areas, pet with me), the Honda's inconvenience would outweigh any possible fuel savings. Purely personally, I can't see buying a B but crippling a major part of its useful 'niceness'. I've made an effort to quiet each of my Onans.

Jim, "I haven't lost my mind. It's backed up on disk somewhere."

'06 Tiger CX 'C Minus' on a Silverado 2500HD 4x4, 8.1 & Allison (aka 'Loafer's Glory')

My Roadtrek

Tucson, AZ.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/04/11 05:39pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You might want to remind him that the 2000 will not run a 1300 btu a/c.

retraite

Wanderin' about

View Profile

Posted: 07/04/11 05:44pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My Roadtrek wrote:

You might want to remind him that the 2000 will not run a 1300 btu a/c.

I think Rodger means a 13,000 btu a/c.

Cheers.

retraite

Wanderin' about

View Profile

Posted: 07/04/11 03:44pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OK, a bit of belt and suspenders maybe, but ....

We have a PW with the Onan genny.

We also have a Honda 2000 genny.

Depending on where we're going - and yes we almost always tow an enclosed trailer (motorcycle and/or canoe) - we often put the Honda genny in the trailer.

When the site we've chosen has no electric, and does have constrained genset hours, they are usually to late in the morning to suit my desire for some COFFEE. So, I go in the trailer, start the very quiet Honda, run a 10 gauge cord to the electric "in" for the PW, and, voila, I get coffee, my wife gets to use the microwave, etc., etc., etc. and no one hears a thing.

Works like a charm for us.

But then, there is that trailer - and many (maybe most) prefer to not have it behind them.

That said, as others have said, there is no substitute - IMHO - for a remote start on-board genny.

Separately, recently we installed an Onan resonator "inline" on the exhaust. What a difference. It's now so much quieter.

Cheers.

JoeRT04

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/04/11 02:43pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

sergeant76 wrote:

He informed me he would rather order a new Class B without the Onan generator and purchase a Honda Eu2000i. I informed him it is nice with the Onan as the Onan has a remote start, can be started in the RoadTrek, also no concern of someone walking away with the Onan.

This is a no brainer for me.

The convenience of the on-board Onan is well worth any difference in fuel consumption and genny noise IMO. From my experience, esp on long trips, to start the Onan from inside the B (in hot, cold or inclement weather to run the AC, micro, etc) is priceless. I suspect that the friend hasn't owned a rig with a genny on board.

I can't imagine needing to refill the Honda genny with fuel every few hours.

2011 KZ Durango 1500 D295CS 32 FT Fifth Wheel

My Roadtrek

Tucson, AZ.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/04/11 07:22pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I was posting on my iPhone, and meant 13,000.
OK, make that 12,000 btu a/c, and the Honda 2000 will not run it either. The Honda only puts out 2000 watts for 30 min, then cycles down to, I think 1,600 watts. I think a 12,000 btu A/C needs somewhere around 2,400 watts to start it. Even if the Honda 2000 started it, it would not restart the a/c when it cycled off.
I would think the 11,000 btu A/C would be right on the border line for the Honda 2000.
It seems the general consensus of the forums here is that the Honda 2000 is too small for a 12,000 btu A/C.

* This post was edited 07/04/11 07:34pm by My Roadtrek *

Atlee

Mechanicsville, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/04/11 07:47pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

sergeant76 wrote:

A friend of ours who is interested in purchasing/ordering a new Class B could not believe the difference between the Onan and the Honda Eu2000i generators, how quiet the Honda was compared to the Onan generator.

I was exercising both generators, after running the Onan I connected the Honda Eu2000i to the RoadTrek Camper had the AC and refrigerator on.

We were wondering which generator uses less fuel when running the refrigerator and AC, I say the Honda Eu2000i uses less fuel.

Can anyone figure out approximately how much fuel is used in 1 hour running the Onan -vs- the Honda Eu2000i?

Onan Microlite Generator 2.8 kW
Honda Eu2000i Generator
Dometic AC - 10,200 BTU
Dometic Ref - 3.0 cu.ft

Ron

And he will have to carry a separate container of gasoline. If you can get a genny on the B, I would always sugget getting one. I wouldn't even look a a used one that didn't have a genny.

Erroll, Mary, Duffy the Badger Dog plus "Ollie"
"The Traveling Koala"
2012 Koala 21CS
2014 F150 Supercab 4x4 w/ 8' box, Ecoboost & HD Pkg
And Equal-i-zer WDH/Sway Control

sergeant76

New Bedford, MA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/04/11 06:54pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

(You might want to remind him that the 2000 will not run a 1300 btu a/c)

Rodger,

Is there a class B that has the 13,000 btu AC?

He is interested in either a RoadTrek 190 or a PleasureWay Lexor, the PleasureWay has a 11,000 btu AC. He is going to check out the PleasureWay's at Campers Barn RV Superstore in Kingston, NY, he stated that Campers Barn is now a PleasureWay dealer.

Informed him that I believe Campers Barn is still a RoadTrek dealer as well as a PleasureWay dealer.

Also informed him he would not regret having the noisy Onan generator, lol.

Ron

sergeant76

New Bedford, MA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/04/11 07:39pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

No problem running the AC 10,200 BTU in the RoadTrek with the Honda Eu2000i, can not run the AC in the Econo mode.

Ron

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class B - Camping Van Conversions

> Fuel consumption Onan 2.8 kW -vs- Honda Eu2000i
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class B - Camping Van Conversi...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Motorhome Magazine | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS