Motorhome Magazine Open Roads Forum: What RV model is most trouble free
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> What RV model is most trouble free

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
SRT

Head of the Lakes, MN

View Profile

Posted: 06/24/11 06:54am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lpotla wrote:

I did say MOST trouble free .... surely someone out there has had some reasonably good experiences!!!!

Our MY2000 no slide HR has been pretty trouble free. Now on our second set of replacement tires. The fridge cooling unit was replaced about 10 years ago and has worked just great. Have had to replace several switches. But over all it has been pretty trouble free (knock on wood).

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 06/24/11 07:32am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi,

I'm not in a Class A, but rather a 28'5" Class C (2004 Kustom Koach v-10, with 4000 miles on the clock, when purchased). In 33700 miles and 29 months of ownership I've had to replace one switch on the water pump, one screen door handle, recaulked the shower with the correct type of silicone, and replace the alternator charging circuit fuse. On the chassis side, I've recharged the dash air conditioner, replaced one oxygen sensor, replaced the mass flow air sensor, replaced the transmission fluid, flushed and replaced the engine coolant and added a shim during the wheel alignment.

However, the fit and finish is poor and I've done many upgrades (such as beefing up the 1/8 luan bottoms on all the drawers with 1/4 inch plywood). I've currently replaced over 300 staples with wood screws.

In addition I've rethought and replaced some electrical systems, as well as upgrading by adding lights inside storage cupboards and paid $3000.00 in labor to have these modifications done. To be fair, about 1/2 these items are "personalization" items. (such as adding an extra thermostat so I can run the furnace and the heat strip at the same time, and a solar system).

I think it is a "bad show" when the factory can't even bother to use the correct silicone to seal a shower tub surround. It appears to be typical, unfortunately. Low cost materials and poor quality control abound.

The cost of all operational items excluding food and fuel amount to 27 cents per kilometer (43 cents per mile).

Regards, Don
Full Time in a Kustom Koach Class C 28'5", 256 watts Unisolar, 875 amp hours in two battery banks 12 volt batteries, Magnum 3000 watt PSW inverter.

ticat900

canada

View Profile

Posted: 06/24/11 08:12am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Popsie wrote:

If i was in the market, I'd have to take a very good look at Newell. The people I've met with Newells seem to be totally satisfied about everything (including their bank balances).

newells are very very nice and i dont see many complaints but that is really really out of the OP league and I think most here are trying to compare common run of the mill DP
When u pay 1 million plus for a motorhome one would want to(i would) demand perfection.I just bought a 2008 Allegro Bus fully loaded and
there is a hundred things that are either poorly crafted,installed wrong or just plain micky mouse or all of the above but I only paid 185K so all in all I cant complain and am lucky to be able to repair,replace most things myself.Some of the poor quailty does not effect anything and it will remain as things like the poor paint job.NOW If I bought this thing new at around 275K I would be very very upset although I would have never done that.I think CC make a good unit with lots of nice stuff.If one could find a 07 or 08 affinity maybe a good choice.I think a lot of the newmar products are well made also.I still think a new foretravel is a much much better buy than any newell or provost will ever be.

azpete

paulden

View Profile

Posted: 06/24/11 08:15am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

you do not need another hobby when you own an rv. you also need a sense of humor.
i dont consider loose hinges and small leaks as problems. when it gets into my pocket, then its a problem.
you should be able to troubleshoot most of your problems and fix them yourself. if not be prepared to pay. there is no such thing as a problem free rv. from tents, to conversion buses, they all come with set of problems. the more electronics, the more problems.
it depends more on your attitude and ability to pay as to the magnitude of the problem.

Killin Time

Louisiana

View Profile

Posted: 06/24/11 08:33am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have had several pop-ups, TT's, 5th Wheels and motorhomes over my 30 plus years of camping. All but two were purchased used. I now have a Tiffen product that was purchased used and is by far is the best one I have owned thus far. I have found that buying used is the least expensive and the least troublesome. Let the first owner work out all of the bugs and enjoy it. I don't think I would ever buy new again. At this time I would purchase another Tiffen product.

Kenny and Danielle
Two rescue dogs, Pedro and Ginger
2005 Allegro Bay/1997 Jeep Wrangler Sport
2002 Harley Davidson Electa Glide Classic/150 CC Eton Scooter

ticat900

canada

View Profile

Posted: 06/24/11 08:35am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

azpete wrote:

you do not need another hobby when you own an rv. you also need a sense of humor.
i dont consider loose hinges and small leaks as problems. when it gets into my pocket, then its a problem.
you should be able to troubleshoot most of your problems and fix them yourself. if not be prepared to pay. there is no such thing as a problem free rv. from tents, to conversion buses, they all come with set of problems. the more electronics, the more problems.
it depends more on your attitude and ability to pay as to the magnitude of the problem.

The only problems that realy really upset me are the result of the poor manufacturing quality and assembley quality/mistakes
and Tiffin is good at both

JTHarley

Northeast, Michigan, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/24/11 08:46am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As the old saying goes....you get what you pay for.

As others have posted, Foretravel and American coach would be my first choice in a class A format. Note my signature and you will see what I opted for. For mid range coaches I would look at Winnebago (I've owned 2 winnie class A products).

As important as the coach is the manufacturer.....Tiffin and Winnebago are two strong companies that stand behind their products. In today environment you really need to see what coach manufacturer will be here in 5-10 years. The balance sheets of some manufacturers are not in great shape with the exception of Winnie who has loads of cash on hand and is a debt free company.

I would consider a 3-6 year old foretravel first and if that is out of the price range then a 2-3 yr. old Tiffin or Winnie would work nicely.

Jim , MJ & Spirit of Sambuca Bear
2005 Prevost Royale XLII
Jeep Sahara Toad

captron33

usa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/24/11 08:48am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

hahaha, this must be a trick question!!

wnytaxman

Western NY

View Profile

Posted: 06/24/11 08:59am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As others have stated there is no such thing as a trouble free rig. Some that seem to have the best reputations are the Entegra and Newmar. Tiffin seems to be having their problems at the moment. As to getting what you pay for, that is not necessarily true. For example, the Berkshire is the "entry" level coach for Forest River and Charleston is the premier level. It seems that the Charleston is taking a lot of complaints regarding issues while the Berkshires seem to have a lower complaint level. If I were looking right now, I would look really hard at the Entegra. It seems like a real quality coach built by a solid company.

2011 Berkshire 390bh

ticat900

canada

View Profile

Posted: 06/24/11 09:52am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:
Tiffin seems to be having their problems at the moment

anyone fill us in on this rumour as I have not heard this as of late?
What problems?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> What RV model is most trouble free
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Motorhome Magazine | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS