Motorhome Magazine Open Roads Forum: Where do you grease the popup cables?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Folding Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Folding Trailers

> Where do you grease the popup cables?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
danfoote

sussex, new brunswick

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/19/11 04:40am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have a 2004 Rockwood Freedom - Where do you grease the cable system?

tandkj

Full timer

View Profile

Posted: 06/19/11 05:54am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When we had a pup we never had to do the cables. It was a Coleman and the cable system was not visable.

Tis another fine day to serve in and for the glory of the Corps. Every day is a holiday and every meal a feast.
08 Camelot Custom build
07 Ranger Toad
One Golden Retriever at the Rainbow Bridge and a new one traveling with us.

skipnchar

Topeka or somewhere else

View Profile

Posted: 06/19/11 07:01am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't think I'd use grease on them. If lube is necessary (and I'm not SURE one way or the other if it is) then use a dry lube like flake graphite. Grease will attract dust and grit and can actually make cables work harder rather than easier. With SOME popup lift systems they are designed to have a given amount of friction so be sure yours are SUPPOSED to be lubed.

Good luck / Skip

2011 F-150 HD Ecoboost 3.5 V6. 2550 payload, 17,100 GCVWR -
2004 F-150 HD (Traded after 80,000 towing miles)
2007 Rockwood 8314SS 34' travel trailer

US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population

Blkvoodoo

Clayton NC

View Profile

Posted: 06/19/11 07:01am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

under the camper, you will see a metal housing that the cables run into/thru.

toward the front of this housing, you will see a grease fitting on the bottom, and to the rear you will see a fitting on the top. use a grease gun one these fittings.

I would suggest greasing while the camper is in the closed position. ( this gets most if not all the cable that needs to be lubed without getting real messy, and it will get a bit messy )

If I could figure out how, I would attach a picture showing you what to look for.

Old Pup '94 Starcraft Space Star 1017
New Pup '12 Forest River Flagstaff Classic 625D
'97 Toyota 4Runner

DutchmenSport

Between Anderson, Pendleton, & Lapel, Indiana

View Profile

Posted: 06/19/11 09:32am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

had a Starcraft Venture pup for 6 years. All that time I never found a way to grease the lift system or cables. It still worked perfectly fine when we sold the camper.

DutchmenSport

2014 Chevy Silverado 3500 Dually Duramax 6.6 HD diesel
2013 Keystone Outback 298RE Travel Trailer
I am now the proud owner of an Equal-i-zer WD hitch, 14,000 pounds. My Reese bit the dust after more than 10 years of use on 3 trailers!

nfisherman

IL

View Profile

Posted: 06/19/11 10:14am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My Starcraft has a grease fitting at the center hub - where all of the cables come together in the middle of the camper. It's difficult to reach. I had my tire dealer grease it when he had the camper jacked up to replace tires and pack the bearings.

jrw1550

Lithopolis, Ohio

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/19/11 02:33pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I believe that model has a Goshen lift system, to tell the model you would look at the telescoping corner posts if they are square it is a model 1473 and if they are rectangle it is a model 2660 lift system. On a 2660 you need to grease the master tube using both grease zerks with 6 ounces of grease each. Next on the spring tubes, they go from each end of the master tube to each corner, there is an openning on each tube as it turns up into the camper add a small amount of grease there. The grease I use is lithium grease for both. I also use some silicone spray on the cable but the manual for my power lift says to use 30 weight oil, I spray the exposed cable underneath the camper and wipe any excess off with a rag. I do this maintenance at the start of the camping season. I owuld think a 1473 lift system would be pretty much the same.

'tiredTeacher

Richmond, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/20/11 07:08am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Blkvoodoo wrote:

under the camper, you will see a metal housing that the cables run into/thru. Toward the front of this housing, you will see a grease fitting on the bottom, and to the rear you will see a fitting on the top. Use a grease gun one these fittings.
I would suggest greasing while the camper is in the closed position.

You are 100% correct. My Starcraft's manual says to do this yearly. Ditto on the holes at the tube bends as stated above.

Teach

Wright and Penny
2010 Tundra 4X4
2005 Starcraft 2107
2014 Rockwood 2604WS
"Life is a cruel teacher. She gives the test first; the lesson then follows."

StreetRodderTom

South Western CT.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/20/11 09:54am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

'tiredTeacher wrote:

Blkvoodoo wrote:

under the camper, you will see a metal housing that the cables run into/thru. Toward the front of this housing, you will see a grease fitting on the bottom, and to the rear you will see a fitting on the top. Use a grease gun one these fittings.
I would suggest greasing while the camper is in the closed position.

You are 100% correct. My Starcraft's manual says to do this yearly. Ditto on the holes at the tube bends as stated above.

Teach

Ditto here also. I've posted this before, but I'll do it again. My Father was a Crane operator in WW2 and he told me that they always boiled the cables in oil to get the oil to the center. Steel cables "always" fail from the center out. The "next best" thing that he approved of was the spray "cable lube" that you can get at any good motorcycle shop, LPS etc. . When you spray the cables, be sure to lay it on good, you'll see the oil penetrate the cable, do this once a year & the cables will outlive you!

Hope to see you on the road!!!
Retired Gunsmith (35+ years)
Wife is retired RN (VA Hospital 37 years)
2005 Starcraft Model 2409

PAThwacker

East Stroudsburg, PA

View Profile

Posted: 06/21/11 08:47pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

yuppers on the the goshen lift like in my flagstaff. 2 zerks on the housing one high, and one low.

2008 Starcraft Travelstar Sport 21RBH
2008 Chevy Trailblazer V8 3.42/ 2004 k2500 Suburban LT 6.0, 3.73, g80 locker, center buckets, and sunroof.
Me, DW, dd08, dd12, 88lb black lab!

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Folding Trailers

> Where do you grease the popup cables?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Folding Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Motorhome Magazine | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS