Motorhome Magazine Open Roads Forum: Dinghy Towing: Flat towing a 2011 Ford Edge
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Dinghy Towing

Open Roads Forum  >  Dinghy Towing

> Flat towing a 2011 Ford Edge

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
landman02

Oklahoma

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/13/11 01:28pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We just got back from a 6,000 mile trip. We bought the new Edge because it was supposed to be flat towable (according to the manual)
At the end of each day it was always dead. We put it in neutral, turned the key to the left in accessory mode, and we would always start it when we stopped for gas, but unless we stopped every 3 hours or less, it would be dead. We even stopped in Las Vegas at a Ford dealer, to see if we were doing something wrong, but no one knew anything else to do. HAS ANYONE ELSE HAD THIS PROBLEM WITH AN EDGE?

slbjw

Sterling Heights, MI

View Profile

Posted: 06/13/11 01:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have a 2010 Edge & had the same problem the first time we towed. My husband found there was a tiny difference between the correct setting and engaging the battery. I'm surprised that dealers weren't able to help. Now that my husband knows exactly how far to turn the key we have no problems. Is there anything in the manual?

MountainAir05

New Mexico

View Profile

Posted: 06/13/11 01:49pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just a thought, did you run new wire all the way to the back of the vehicle or tie into wiring harness at the front. At the front if certain conditon happen then your battery voltage will go the the RV. Unplug the pigtail from the RV and leave it connected to the toad. Then check voltage on the pins. Ensure you have it set up to tow. If you have voltage then you are back feeding to the RV. I think that there was something someone figure out also on the forum.

kokois1

US

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/13/11 03:33pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I tow a 2007 Edge and haven't had any problems. Our longest trip has been 3 hours one way. I put the key in the second position.

2010 Fleetwood Classic 33U
Ford V10 Power Platform

Steve and LuAnne
2010 Fleetwood Bounder Classic 33U
Ford V10 Power Platform
Golden Retriever: KoKo

RognBon

Roseville, Calif.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/13/11 04:53pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We tow a 2008 Edge and have never had a problem. Make sure you turn the key all the way to the left past the accessory position. Your steering wheel will be unlocked and all accessories will be off. Make certain you turn off all lights (auto headlight switch), the radio, the blower motor, etc. When you turn the key past accessory the clock display will go out. If the clock is still on you haven't turned the key far enough.

Rodger.

RognBon
1997 Monaco Dynasty 40'
Cummins 8.3 325 HP
2008 Ford Edge Toad

ronhanson

Denver, CO

View Profile

Posted: 06/14/11 11:39am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You need to turn the key ALL THE WAY BACK. That is the correct possition. There is a lockout which keeps it from going further and locking the wheel. The manual description is confusing.

2009 Forest River Georgetown
2009 Ford Edge

chuckinthetruck

TN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/08/11 05:22pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Looking to move our 2010 Edge AWD off the trailer and down on all 4. Any help on preference of tow bar and or base plates along with estimated cost that will be fair? Choice of vendor to have this accomplished would be great also.
Thanks
Chuck

xbairman

United States

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/11/11 04:03pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't have an edge but a 2011 Fusion and the battery is always going dead when towing. We just returned from a 6 week trip and this week we called Ford roadside 4 times for a battery jump. Ford just picked up our car today with the 4th transmission failure in 3700 miles. Have you had any troubles with your Edge?

JohnnyT

On The Road

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/14/11 12:14pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Moved from class A forum

20anOut

Coastal NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/17/11 08:40pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We tow a 2010 Lincoln MKX which is a Ford Edge on steroids and we have put 8000 miles on it towing most days drive is 4-5 hours. Yesterday, we drove 8 hours and the car started up. We have not had any problems.

I hook up everything and then put the car in neutral and turn the key all of the way back as far as it will turn and thats it.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Dinghy Towing

> Flat towing a 2011 Ford Edge
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Dinghy Towing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Motorhome Magazine | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS