Motorhome Magazine Open Roads Forum: Class C Motorhomes: Mounting scissor jacks on E450?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> Mounting scissor jacks on E450?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
Dave T

Grand Rapids,MN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/02/11 07:54am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm interested only on where to mount scissor jacks on a Ford E450 frame. Can they be mounted with C clamps?
Just this info only. I know all the pros of having an auto system such as HWH , Bigfoot & etc. Right now I am thinking cheap.
Thanks

* This post was edited 06/02/11 12:16pm by Dave T *

2009 Forest River Lexington 295GTS

JAXFL

Jacksonville, Florida, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/02/11 10:33am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a 32' Class C and had the dealership do a set (2) with the electric motors mounted about 18" behind the rear wheels on the frame. I use blocks for the front tires as I have determined that the ones in back are just not strong enough to left the MH safely. They work great as a stablizer but not as jacks.

mwebber78

New England

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/02/11 10:52am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm watching this one, I see BAL makes flat folding stabilizers that look like they can be mounted on the rear bumper. I'm looking to take the "bounce" out of the camper not "lift" the unit.

2013 Jayco Eagle 334RBTS
Disclaimer for the daft: Don't confuse my opinion with facts.

carringb

Corvallis, OR

View Profile

Posted: 06/02/11 11:09am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

WIth scissor jacks, you probably want to use a 3-point system. 2-rear mounted jacks, and one center-mounted front jack. Using a 3-point jack setup will eliminate the risk of adding frame twist when setting up jacks, which can cause slid-out issues.

I would not count on C-clams to be very effective. Bolting them on will be much more secure.

Bryan

2000 Ford E350 DRW Wagon (14-pass all captains chairs)
V10 - 375,000 miles

Dave T

Grand Rapids,MN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/02/11 12:15pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I looked over my frame & decided the only spot to mount the front jacks would be on the frame just behind cab doors. In the rear, about 6 feet behind rear wheels. U bolts are out, don't know why I thought I could do that! I really don't think welding would be a good idea. Bolting them to the frame would be the only way. Just not a lot of choices on where to put them. Having own a class A with leveling jacks, they really don't stabilize. All it it takes, is one jack to settle about 1/8 inch for the rock & rolling to start.
I can't see how a person would mount Bal OTG?

Dusty R

Charlotte Michigan 48813

View Profile

Posted: 06/02/11 04:43pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dave T, I have a Bal Quick To Ground/QTG that I had on our '88 E-350. We now have a '02 E-350 and things are a little different so I put a pair of the scissor jacks on as close as I could them behind the rear axel. If you would like to see how I've done them, I'm only about an hour from you. And if you would like I could help you put them on. I'm retired and enjoyed doing things like that.

Dusty

nagel

Missouri

View Profile

Posted: 06/02/11 04:49pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I recently added scissors to rear of my e350. The scissors had a bolt hole pattern but the way I wanted to mount them to the frame the bolted C-clamp idea wouldn't work. I eventually manned up and drilled holes into the frame and bolted them. This seemed to work pretty good. Wanted to weld them, but didn't have time (would have had to go over to buddies house to use the welder).

I can tell you didn't give the stablization I expected, but helps.

Snagel

Steven R. Nagel

fisher60

Plant City, Florida

View Profile

Posted: 06/02/11 06:55pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I mounted 4 of the BAL 7500# jacks (stabilizers) on my chevy chassis. Drilled & bolted. I can level the rig to some extent, and they stabilize very well.

'01 Dutchman Express 28A, Borg Chrome Dually Valve Stems, Pacific Dualies Wheel Simulators, '06 Tuscon, 2014 FLHTCUTG
Good Sam Life Member

NavyChaps

Bartlett, TN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/02/11 08:15pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I use the BAL three point system. They work pretty well. Front is bolted on with C clamps and rear bolted directly to the frame.

2003 Winnebago Adventurer 33V, Ford 6.8l V-10, Stow Master 5000 Tow Bar, Blue Ox Patriot Brake System Toad:2009 Ford Focus SE.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> Mounting scissor jacks on E450?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Motorhome Magazine | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS