Motorhome Magazine Open Roads Forum: Questions about Onan 5500 Marquis Gold Oil Filter
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Questions about Onan 5500 Marquis Gold Oil Filter

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
jbobst

Arizona

View Profile

Posted: 05/30/11 06:10pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am attempting to change the oil in my motorhome, which is a 2008 National Sea Breeze. It has the Onan Gold 5500. When I went to camping world to buy a filter, the chart they had said the Marquis gas generators took either the 122-0800 or the 122-0645. There were other letters after that (like BWG or something like that). I wasn't sure what model I had, so I bought both filter, and just planned to take the "wrong" one back once I got back to my motorhome. When I pulled the old filter off my generator, it was a totally different filter! It was the 122-0836. So now I need to take both of the filters back, and buy the correct one. Why would the chart at camping world not give me the 122-0836 filter for the Marquis generators?

Also, is there anyway to drain the old oil any faster? I have the valve open all the way, but it's very slow in draining!

Thanks!

Generator Jim

Conway, SC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/30/11 06:35pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"Marquis" is not a model, it is a trim level. You buy parts based on the model number such as; 5BGE, 6.5NHM, HDKAJ, etc. You should find the complete model number on a decal or data plate on the generator, or use the parts book that came with the generator set. 2008 National Sea Breeze has nothing to do with the generator.

You evidently have the newer model of the 5500 gas generator. The oil will drain much faster if the unit has been run until it is fully warmed up.

JimL

Jim & Jane Latour
08 Chevy 3500HD, crew cab, dually, Duramax/Allison
Crossroads Cruiser CR305SK14, Onan 3.6KY
Retired AF CMS (E9) Power Generation and Onan RV genset Level III tech
Grand Strand Sams
Blog.rv.net

othertonka

Stockton, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/30/11 07:53pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes the 122-0836 is the right filter for the Onan 5500. Do you also have the right filter removal tool? It is a cup type that takes a 3/8 inch drive ratchet wrench. I have never been able to get a hand hold grip on these filters as there is not enough filter sticking down below to get a grip on it or even get a strap type wrench on it. The right tol makes an easier job. As for draining the oil, I warm the genset up first then open the drain and remove the oil fill cap to let air in and I find it drains better.
Here is the filter wrench I am talking about.
Filter wrench
Filter
Onan 122-0836 Filter

Othertonka
2004 Southwind 32VS 8.1 Workhorse chassis
2002 CRV Toad
U. S. Gear Unified brake system
Retired Fire Captain, SFD

OldF**t

Crossville, TN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/31/11 06:52am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just go to NAPA and get the FIL7398 filter. It's a direct replacement for the Onan filter.

Jim

2004 Hurricane 32R (F53)
Demco Excalibar
2010 Ford Ranger 4X4
2009 Kymco Xciting 500Ri
1 wife and 6 cats

livingaboard

Everett wa

View Profile

Posted: 05/30/11 06:50pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I use napa/wix filters

Dave
Everett, WA
2000 Itasca Suncruiser 35U, F53 Triton V-10
Firestone air bags with Quad control air gauge
Pressure Pro tire pressure monitor
Banks Exhaust
SuperSteer rear trac bar
Olympian Wave heaters (Wall mount and portable)

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Questions about Onan 5500 Marquis Gold Oil Filter
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Motorhome Magazine | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS