Open Roads Forum

Print  |  Close

Topic: 8.1 Fuel Filter Location

Posted By: ArchHoagland on 04/18/11 11:09pm

Does anybody have a picture of where the Workhorse 8.1 engine fuel filter is located?

2004 Monaco La Palma 36DBD
Workhorse W22 8.1 Gas Allison 1000, 7.1 mpg

2000 LEXUS RX300 FWD 22MPG 4020 LBS
US Gear Brakes

Posted By: superglue on 04/18/11 11:54pm

mine is a 04 also and its located on the drivers side right behind the rear wheels bolted up on the inside of the main I beam. it should have 3 ports on it, one coming from the gas tank and 2 going out. once underneath in that area it should be no problem seeing it. have changed mine 4 times already and keep a couple spares on hand, they are hard to find on the road.

download the chassis guide and go to page 53 has a great picture of it.

workhorse chassis guide

* This post was edited 04/19/11 12:04am by superglue *

Posted By: Clay L on 04/19/11 07:56am

Depending on the build date of your chassis you may have either the two port or three port filter.
My 2004 coach is built on a 2003 chassis manufactured in May as I recall, and still has the old style two port filter.

Clay (WA5NMR), Lee (Wife), Katie & Kelli (cats).

Fixed domicile after 1 year of snowbirding and eleven years Full Timing in a 2004 Winnebago Sightseer 35N, Workhorse chassis, Honda Accord toad

Posted By: tomousecap on 04/18/11 11:57pm

Inside the frame rail just behind the left rear wheel.

Bob
2007 Fleetwood Bounder - Full Paint 35E
Workhorse 6 Speed 496 Cubic Inch V8 - W22
Ford fans - RPM is a poor substitute for Cubic Inches!
2013 Chev Volt - Towing on a Master Tow Dolly
Gracie = Adopted longhair Amazon Chihuahua

Scavenger Power Exh. Installed.

Posted By: wilanddij on 04/19/11 07:47am

FYI, this adapter makes things less costly than the Workhorse fuel filter after your first filter change GM fuel filter. Disclaimer - I don't sell it, I just use it.

Will & Di
2004 Southwind 32VS
Workhorse/8.1
Ford C-Max/Blue Ox
"We have met the enemy, and he is us" Pogo

Posted By: paulcardoza on 04/19/11 04:46am

Mine is tucked up near the frame rail, about 3ft behind the left front wheel.

Paul & Sandra
New Bedford, MA
2014 Heartland Cyclone 4100 King

Posted By: jeepfreak on 04/19/11 04:34pm

Just want to add that I also have the filter adaptor. Well worth the money!

2007 Allegro 34wa Workhorse 8.1, Allison 6-speed. Bow Tie powered 79 CJ-7 Toad or 2014 Jeep Unlimited Rubicon Toad

Posted By: skipsor on 04/19/11 09:57am

If you go to Irv2.com and search for fuel filter location in the Workhorse chassis forum you will find photos of where it is located and how to replace it.

I second what Willanddij posted about the aftermarket filter adapter. I also have one on my rig and it works fine, no muss no fuss. Here is a link to the site that makes and sells them, http://www.oem-engineering.com/

Posted By: ArchHoagland on 04/19/11 09:00am

Thanks for all the quick replies.

Tried to download the Chassis guide but you have to be a member on that site and to join it you have to mail a copy of your Bill of Sale to Workhorse. Isn't that nice?

Will get back to you guys after I check out your suggestions.

Posted By: ArchHoagland on 04/25/11 06:50pm

Ok, found it. Three port filter. I'm not gonna change it, looks like one of those jobs I'd rather pay someone to do.

superglue....I noticed you said you changed yours 4 times already. How many miles have you put on your rig? I'm at about 59,000 miles and this is the first time I will have changed it.

Posted By: W4ARR on 04/19/11 03:23pm

Mine is just behind the left rear tires mounted to the frame. Mine is a Workhorse also.

W4ARR
2005 Newmar Scottsdale 33

Posted By: harold1946 on 04/19/11 10:30am

ArchHoagland wrote:

Thanks for all the quick replies.

Tried to download the Chassis guide but you have to be a member on that site and to join it you have to mail a copy of your Bill of Sale to Workhorse. Isn't that nice?

Will get back to you guys after I check out your suggestions.

You must be the registered owner with Workhores. Should be able to register online by using the chassis VIN if its 1999 or newer. After registering the chassis guide can be downloaded and all information on that chassis can be found under "My Motorhome" including any outstanding recalls.

Harold and Linda
2009 CT Coachworks siena 35V
W-22 Workhorse 8.1L
Explorer toad

Posted By: superglue on 04/25/11 09:38pm

ArchHoagland wrote:

Ok, found it. Three port filter. I'm not gonna change it, looks like one of those jobs I'd rather pay someone to do.

superglue....I noticed you said you changed yours 4 times already. How many miles have you put on your rig? I'm at about 59,000 miles and this is the first time I will have changed it.

I HAVE 42,000 RIGHT NOW, i changed the first one after the m/h died on rt 40 in the slow lane with no shoulder. that was after 13,000 miles. maybe a bad batch of gas who knows. had a spare with me, which was a good thing since the repair shop could not find one anywhere. replaced the filter and started right up. put 3 cans of seafoam in it and on our way.
since then i just change it every 10 to 12 thousand miles just as some insurance, no problems ever since... just some advice, get a extra one when you change. they are hard to find especially if it clogs in a remote area

Posted By: vtbig on 04/19/11 02:34pm

You can register your RV at Workhorse.com and access the Chassis Guide.

Posted By: ArchHoagland on 04/28/11 12:53pm

At least once a year I add 5 containers of Chevron Fuel injector cleaner to my 75 gallon tank. Costco sells a six pack of it for about $25. I wonder if that's why I was able to go so long with no clogged filter.
I assume the cleaner dissolves some of the stuff in the filter.

Print  |  Close