Open Roads Forum

Print  |  Close

Topic: Need Help with a 1999 Roadtrek Popular 190

Posted By: ademicco on 04/17/11 02:45pm

Hello
My Mother-in-Law owns a 1999 Roadtrek Popular 190. Unfortunately she does not remember how all the features work so I am hoping some members of this forum can help.
Questions:
1. How do I turn on the water heater?
2. How do I turn on the furnace?
3. Is it possible to run the RV ac off the generator or does that draw two much power?

Thanks Adam

Posted By: Handbasket on 04/17/11 03:20pm

Hi, Adam... Going from memory of my '00 RT Versatile,

1. Be sure there's propane in the tank and the tank valve is open (by lighting the cooktop) and that the house battery is charged at least minimally. Be sure there's water in the WH tank (pump on, sink faucet 'on' on hot side, water comes out). There should be a (unlabeled) rocker switch above the kitchen counter or sink. Flip to the other position, and an internal red light should come on. The water heater is now on. Check by verifying that exhaust heat is coming out the outside WH door vents.

2. Again verify propane and battery. Turn thermostat up. Should blow unheated air at first, then heat. Verify that exhaust is clear outside.

3. If the Onan's in good shape, yes, but it needs to be warmed up for a few minutes first. Main gas tank has to be over 1/4 full. Post back if it's not able to carry this load It may indicate a varnished carb from disuse; ask her when it was last run.

Jim, "Some days you're the pigeon, some days you're the statue."

'06 Tiger CX 'C Minus' on a Silverado 2500HD 4x4, 8.1 & Allison (aka 'Loafer's Glory')

Posted By: jchawkjr on 04/18/11 11:37am

The water heater switch is under the monitor panel next to a red light. The light will go on when you flip the switch on, then go out. When the water is hot, the light will come back on.

- John 99D190P

Posted By: rmnorman on 04/17/11 03:30pm

This may be helpful to you as well although it doesn't have the manuals for the specific items you mentioned:

http://www.roadtrek.com/_Uploads/manuals/Roadtrek_Owners_Manual_1999_Dodge_170-190_models_and%20Chevrolet_200_models.pdf

Posted By: docj on 04/17/11 04:20pm

Handbasket wrote:

There should be a (unlabeled) rocker switch above the kitchen counter or sink. Flip to the other position, and an internal red light should come on.

Also going by memory on our 2000 190 Versatile, I remember the switch, but I recall it being something I used to push as I walked through the door--like being on the wall to my left as I would come in. It's been 6 years and my aging brain may be wrong about this. LOL

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/braking system
WiFiRanger Ambassador/RVParkReviews administrator
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

Print  |  Close