Motorhome Magazine Open Roads Forum: Dodge Ram 5500 Cummins Diesel Tow Trucks
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Dodge Ram 5500 Cummins Diesel Tow Trucks

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
Sponsored By:
eightballsidepocket

Whitehouse, Ohio, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/02/11 11:54am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've always been one who is watching various makes of vehicles(cars/trucks) on the road.

Interestingly, here in San Jose, CA(Silicon Valley), I've been noticeing a lot of newer tow trucks that are Dodge Ram 5500's with the Cummins diesel.

I was at a McDonalds the other day, and saw a Dodge Ram tow truck parked in the lot and the driver was taking a lunch break. I walked over and asked him how he liked his tow truck. He was ecstatic! Said the 6.7 Cummins had been great, and he was so very, glad the company had given up on another brand that they used for years. The other brand spent much time in the shop, but their 08 5500 Cummins powered tow trucks with the Aisin 6 speed Automatic and power take-off had been very reliable, and less prone to needing fixes as the prior makes had.

Anyway, I don't know if this is a nationwide trend going with 4500-5500 Ram diesels for tow trucks or is just something that's happening here on the "left coast"?

What's your observations across the USA and even Canada?

Regards, Eightballsidepocket

2005 Dodge Ram 2500 SLT 4x2 Quad Cab, Cummins, 48RE Tranny, Lg Bed, Line-X Spray-on Bed Liner.

06 T25BS Komfort Trailblazer TT

"If you can't say it in person, it isn't worth saying while hiding behind an anonymous P.C.!"

tkcrawford

Edmonton, Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 04/02/11 12:09pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here in the oil patch of Alberta, it has been my observation, that large companies hold no loyalty to any particular brand and will buy from whomever gives them the best price - and that is usually Ford. Not always but usually. However, work trucks owned by private individuals are split nearly evenly between Ford and Dodge. You will occasionally see a GM pulling a flat deck trailer or carrying a welding rig but they are rare. Just my observation.

2004 Dodge Laramie 3500 Dually, CTD 305/555, Quad Cab, 4x4, NV5600
2008 Eagle Cap 995, 310W Solar

02PSD

dedham,ma

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/02/11 02:31pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

i've notice the same thing here in massachusetts. its seems that all the towing companies are using dodge trucks.

larry barnhart

wenatchee. wa usa

View Profile

Posted: 04/02/11 03:15pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My guess would be a great truck but very hard ride.
chevman

chevman
2001 35 ft avalon alpenlite RK
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy
easyrider/reese airhitch
trailair center point suspension
JT Strong Arm Stabilizers
KSH 55 inbed fuel tank
Garmin 2720
scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors

SoCalDesertRider

Arizona desert

View Profile

Posted: 04/02/11 04:36pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I never see Dodge tow trucks around here. Of the pickup type cab/chassis based tow trucks, they're almost all Fords, mostly F450's.

05E350 6.0PSD
97F350DRW 7.3PSD 4x4 4.10 11' flatbed
98Ranger
69Bronco ATC250R CR500
20' BigTex flatbed carhauler
Callen Camper

92F350 CrewCab 4x4 351/C6
B&W TurnoverBall, Curt Magnum V
HD Springs Bilsteins,
285/75-16E BFG AT on 16x8 Stocktons
4.56's & LockRite rear

KD4UPL

Swoope, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/02/11 04:51pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't see many of the Dodge medium duties around in VA. I really want one bad to haul my truck camper. I would finally not be overloaded! I'll keep saving my money. I've researched the trucks a lot online and looked at them at the dealer. They are very nice and have lots of advantages over the Fords.

surveyorjp

Missouri

View Profile

Posted: 04/02/11 05:05pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Many of the utility companies here are going to Ram 4500/5500 trucks with service bodies. I am even seeing tow companies with flat bed hauler bodies around.

2012 Dodge Grand Caravan. Popup shopping

thomasmnile

Deltona, Fl.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/02/11 09:01pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

eightballsidepocket wrote:

I've always been one who is watching various makes of vehicles(cars/trucks) on the road.

Interestingly, here in San Jose, CA(Silicon Valley), I've been noticeing a lot of newer tow trucks that are Dodge Ram 5500's with the Cummins diesel.

I was at a McDonalds the other day, and saw a Dodge Ram tow truck parked in the lot and the driver was taking a lunch break. I walked over and asked him how he liked his tow truck. He was ecstatic! Said the 6.7 Cummins had been great, and he was so very, glad the company had given up on another brand that they used for years. The other brand spent much time in the shop, but their 08 5500 Cummins powered tow trucks with the Aisin 6 speed Automatic and power take-off had been very reliable, and less prone to needing fixes as the prior makes had.

Anyway, I don't know if this is a nationwide trend going with 4500-5500 Ram diesels for tow trucks or is just something that's happening here on the "left coast"?

What's your observations across the USA and even Canada?

I've seen 'em here in Florida as tow trucks and "repo wagons". They are also starting to show up as a chassis/cab offering with ambulance builders, and bucket trucks for the local cable company and electric utility. I suspect between Ford's history with the 6.0 Powerstroke and the Ram 4500/5500 is less expensive than Navistar or Freightliner chassis cab, Chrysler may be well positioned to grab a larger slice of what has been others' "pie".

Jarlaxle

New England

View Profile

Posted: 04/03/11 04:27am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SoCalDesertRider wrote:

I never see Dodge tow trucks around here. Of the pickup type cab/chassis based tow trucks, they're almost all Fords, mostly F450's.

That's because Dodge didn't offer anything heavier than the Ram 3500 util recently--most companies want something heavier than that. I have seen several Ram 4500 and 5500 wreckers lately, and a few older Ram 3500's.

John and Elizabeth (Liz), with 3 nutty cats
My beloved St. Bernard, Marm, lost him 1/2/12
Current rig:
1992 International Genesis school bus conversion

SoCalDesertRider

Arizona desert

View Profile

Posted: 04/03/11 05:18am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Jarlaxle wrote:

SoCalDesertRider wrote:

That's because Dodge didn't offer anything heavier than the Ram 3500 util recently--most companies want something heavier than that. I have seen several Ram 4500 and 5500 wreckers lately, and a few older Ram 3500's.
Yes, 2007 was the first year for the Dodge/Sterling/Ram 3500/4500/5500 cab/chassis trucks.

It's been 4 years now that they've been out and I thought by now I would be seeing plenty of them in all applicable commercial vocations, but I just don't see them at all. Ford has all those markets wrapped up tightly by the F350/450/550 around here. Even more surprising is the Dodge is cheaper than the Ford and they still buy Ford.

If I was buying a class 3/4/5 cab/chassis truck for myself and my welding business, it would be the Dodge/Cummins, rather than the Ford.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Dodge Ram 5500 Cummins Diesel Tow Trucks
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Motorhome Magazine | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS