Motorhome Magazine Open Roads Forum: Class A Motorhomes: Samson tires?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Samson tires?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
Kiethco

So California

View Profile

Posted: 03/29/11 03:37pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just got quoted 918.00 otd for 6 Samson tires. 8R-19.5.
I know they're made in China. This is about half off my quote on Continentals.
They're going on a 1989 34' Pace arrow with rear duals.
I welcome any input, flaming, beatings over buying China junk etc. Thanks for your help.

dieharder

Ottawa, ON

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/29/11 03:42pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have no problems with my Chinese made Coopers.

You might want to verify the date code on these. Sounds pretty low to me.

1999 Itasca Sunrise

Kiethco

So California

View Profile

Posted: 03/29/11 04:25pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I was worried about the date too, he said they would be new as he was ordering them from the warehouse today. I expressed concern over getting 3 year old tires.
I found out Americas tire put 2 year old tires on my wifes Lexus SUV and just had them replaced under warrany last week after sidewall/trad seperation.

dwerkheiser

Southwest Va.

View Profile

Posted: 03/29/11 06:27pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am running Samson 8r19.5 0n my Pace Arrow. I have 7000 miles on them since last year. No problems so far. They have steel sidewalls and ride well. The date code on mine ranged from two months to 3 weeks old when I put them on. My tire dealer said they had been selling samson tires for a while and had not any come back with problems. A lot of the local dump trucks run them.

dalmationlovers

Bremerton, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/29/11 04:27pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As dieharder says check the code dates. We just got an 87 Allergo Bay with 4 yr old tires that are Goodyear. That was the first thing I checked when I purchased the rig. I have spoken with my guy at Firestone here locally (also buy all my tires through them 3 sets last year) and when I spoke about the MH on Sat. we discussed Chinese made tires and he had no issues. He has been in the business for 30 years. JMHO others will not agree

gss036

Bellingham ,WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/29/11 06:12pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Check to see what the Sidewalls are. Some tires that are too soft will cause some sway and mushy feeling. I don't know about motor homes that much, I am my first "A" and just put new Toyo 22.5 on it. When I was looking for my pick-up, I found the cheaper tires were 2 ply sidewalls just like passenger tires and have a tendency to squirm and sway.

Kiethco

So California

View Profile

Posted: 03/31/11 12:52am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ok, I got em installed today. I was sucking my Flexteel seat up my butt as I drove the 26 miles to the tire store. My tires were cracked and 9-10 years old. They had cracks and fischers all around.

I'm happy to report that they ride as well as my michelins and dunlops I took off today. The bill was $900.00 out the door for everything. I'm very pleased. I'd hate to spend 2k for tires on a coach I drive 3,000-5,000 miles a year.

whem2fish

alvarado texas

View Profile

Posted: 03/31/11 04:41am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

i agree except im poor due to child support so i put bf goodrich on front then 4 irc on rear now i do about 10,000 miles a year. i was leary at first but due to money i had no choice. have just over 20,000 on them now. have fun
dave

whem2fish

alvarado texas

View Profile

Posted: 03/30/11 08:31am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

that is a geed price i pick up 4 for my friend for $600 they are IRC
mine are 16 in have over 20,000 mi so far no problems yet
they are on rear and 10 ply

dieharder

Ottawa, ON

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/30/11 06:35am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Kiethco wrote:

I was worried about the date too, he said they would be new as he was ordering them from the warehouse today. I expressed concern over getting 3 year old tires.
I found out Americas tire put 2 year old tires on my wifes Lexus SUV and just had them replaced under warrany last week after sidewall/trad seperation.

Ordering them from the warehouse doesn't mean squat. They could have been sitting on the shelves or in the storeroom there for a while. He should have been able to ask them to check first. Regardless of his confidence, you should check them yourself before your guy puts them on.

2 year old tires on a passenger vehicle isn't all that bad. I know I have never checked when having the tires changed on my daily driver. I usually have to replace every 3-4 years, so they would never get old enough even if they were 2 years old going on. I have always had to replace due to wear and not due to age.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Samson tires?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Motorhome Magazine | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS