Motorhome Magazine Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: Fiberglass vs. Metal Siding
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Fiberglass vs. Metal Siding

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
Ranchers_Wife

Nebraska

View Profile

Posted: 03/27/11 10:58am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My husband are thinking about purchasing a Puma 295KBH by Palomino. We love everything about it except it has the metal siding. We are a little nervous about it. I guess our biggest concern is leakage and etc. with it not being seamless. Please let us know your pros and cons knowledge. Thank you!!

RAllison

Millersburg,ohio

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/27/11 11:24am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I like the siding mainly because you don't have to worry about delamination. Never have had any leaks.

Chris

Shelter Bay, Wa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/27/11 11:27am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Metal siding dents easily and in today's world of RV is consider a lower class rig. Very few rigs show up in our snowbird park with metal siding.

If it is just a week-end rig and you are not concerned about resale some day, then go for it.

Chris

My Rig
2001.5 2500 STD CAB AUTO SLT 4x4, CTD 4:10's, Bomb'd to Tow
2005 Cardinal 29WBLX.

aruba5er

Neenah Wisconsin

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/27/11 11:26am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

trailers have been built forever with alum siding. I would not consider it a bad thing. You see older trailers all the time. My across the street neighbor just took off all the siding to replace some rot in the upper corner because of a roof leak. You can't do that with fiberglass. I have a crack in mine because of a broken weld in the alum frame. I will not be fixing it. It's not structural according to the manu. so it stays broken. If I had alum it would not have shown and nobody would know, or you can take it apart and fix it.

dieselhorse

South Texas .........a whole 'nother country

View Profile

Posted: 03/27/11 11:55am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Take a look at 20 or 30 trailers on a consignment lot. If you know how to spot delamination, you will be shocked at what you find.

The bulges on the back end of many new lower and mid-priced trailers on the sales lot where not there when they left the factory. They delamed on the trip from the factory to dealer
(something a salesman actually admitted).

There is nothing inferior about aluminum siding except it can dent in wind blown hail, something which is covered by insurance. Delamination is not covered and way more costly.

If filon owners think it is superior, perhaps it's because they trade up every 3 or 4 years before it happens or they just choose to ignore it.

Signed: Aluminum sided and happy about it.

dieselhorse: a free range animal
"Mountain Cabin" 2001 Northwood Nash 245N
2007 Dodge 2500 quad short "Lone Star" 4x4 w/5.9 CTD, 48RE

ExRocketScientist

Laurel, MD

View Profile

Posted: 03/27/11 11:51am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Leaks in the metal sided trailers are the result of the same things that cause leaks in the fiberglass sided ones. That said, usually a metal sided trailer uses wood framing and fiberglass insultation while the fiberglass sided trailer will use an aluminum frame and foam insulation. The latter will also be a little heavier trailer due to the extra weight of the luan plywood that backs the thin fiberglass siding.

ERS

old guy

Oregon (pronounced Or e gun)

View Profile

Posted: 03/27/11 12:19pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

if you are worried about dents from hail in metal siding , don't. insurance will fix it for you. fiberglass weights about 500+ more than metal siding.

Bionic Man

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 03/27/11 12:02pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've had both. As others have stated, aluminum siding will dent if your in a hail storm, fiberglass will not. The other problem I had with the siding on my POS Dutchman was that it (twice) pulled away from the trailer itself as I was pulling it down the interstate. I bought my current trailer new, and have not had any issues with the hardside. I'd never get another aluminum sided trailer again.

2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

Ranchers_Wife

Nebraska

View Profile

Posted: 03/27/11 12:12pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am not concerned about the hail dents as much as leaks and etc. This is a new 5'er we are looking at so any leaks would come with our usage - which is weekend trips. We plan on keeping this "forever" and will not be trading every couple of years. That is why the concern. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!!

Ranchers_Wife

Nebraska

View Profile

Posted: 03/27/11 12:16pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Also, what are some preventitive steps that can be taken to detect and fix leaks early on alum siding??

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Fiberglass vs. Metal Siding
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Motorhome Magazine | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS