Open Roads Forum

Print  |  Close

Topic: 2004 Damon HELP !!!

Posted By: B&Bw/Arv on 03/19/11 07:26pm

Got the MH uncovered from all winter today and went to start it, no power from key to starter. New Battery, plugged in to shore power, everything in coach works, generator will start. No headlights or turn signals, nothing in the chassis end, jumped across solenoid starter will turn over. I do not have a main battery disconnect that I know of. just can't figure out what could be wrong. Hopefully someone on here can help.
Thanks

Brian & Barb
'04 Damon Daybreak 2960
'08 Suzuki Grand Vitara "Toad"
United 250CC Scooter
Geocache: doublebk

Posted By: sch911 on 03/19/11 07:33pm

Sounds like a dead chassis battery to me. Everything else you mentioned uses the house batteries. Have you tried jumping the chassis battery to start it?

OEM Auto Engineer
2003 Damon Challenger 348 Class A - F53 Triton V10
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4x4 V8 Toad

Posted By: B&Bw/Arv on 03/19/11 07:56pm

Replaced chassis Battery, if I jump across at the starter it will turn over. Just no power from key switch or any other chassis run accessories

Posted By: Bird Freak on 03/19/11 08:36pm

Ford or Chevy?

Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs-28years
We love 56 T-Birds

Posted By: tahiti16 on 03/19/11 09:04pm

Check for where the cable attach's to the coach, could be at the starter or a solenoid before it. To kill all the chassis it would have to be either the positive or neg cable has loss connection.

Ray, Cheryl & of course Miss Molly the four-legged child

2006 Dolphin 36' F53 V10 5 speed auto 2 slides 7.5 KW genset

Posted By: sundance_8 on 03/19/11 09:07pm

Had the same problem last month. Battery cable connections were just oxidized enough to not make good contact. Removed them, sanded them and all was well.

www.threedogsandus.com

Posted By: Bird Freak on 03/19/11 10:44pm

Check wire on selenoid from switch with a test light. This will tell you if its a switch problem. If you can jump across the selenoid and the engine turns over its not going to be a cable problem. switch or selenoid.

Posted By: B&Bw/Arv on 03/20/11 08:08am

I have checked several of the ground wires for loose or bad connection they are making good contact. A freind told me there is a fusible link that runs up and into the coach that provides power to key switch and all related accessories. I am having trouble finding this, could anyone tell me where this might be located? Would it be closer to the battery or under dash inside.
Thanks for all the ideas so far

Posted By: 195pilot on 03/20/11 08:34am

I'm not clear from your posts ... does it seem that the other items powered by the chassis battery work? (headlights, etc).

If the answer is yes, then I'd suspect the neutral safety switch, ignition switch, starter solenoid or connections to the starter (+12V and ground). Try jiggling the gearshift while attempting a start. The neutral switch may simply be a little bit out of adjustment.

EDIT: Sorry, I confused myself in reading all the posts. You clearly said that the headlights etc didn't work, either.

I'd look closely at all the connections as already been suggested. Sorry I don't have any new suggesstions....

* This post was edited 03/20/11 09:51am by 195pilot *

Posted By: J Walker on 03/20/11 10:00am

From the clues, you have no battery power on the ignition or non-ignition. Look for a ground problem or the fusible link that may have blown. I would use a multimeter and trace voltage.

Jim Walker
2014 Thor Palazzo 33.2, 6.7 Cummins, 2100 Allison
2009 Malibu

Posted By: wa8yxm on 03/20/11 03:59pm

My damon is built on a workhorse and I too have to clean the battery connections (Cable terminals) often... Also, on the workhorse under the "hood" in the center, top, there is a plain black box, no markings that I noticed, at the bottom are two bolts (Threaded studs) you should see battery voltage to ground on these studs.

It is a fuse box.. YOu might wish to open it up.. Just to the right of it is another black box this one has THREE heavy cables to it's bottom.. it says BATTERY CONTROL CENTER.. and it's also a fuse box, but I do not think it is your problem. Might be though.

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

Posted By: B&Bw/Arv on 03/20/11 04:43pm

Cannot find the fusible link that may be bad, checked voltage and checked with test light, and got it narrowed down to, No power going in to the Fuse Box in the front center (Power Distribution) all large fuses in there. the fuse panel that is right next to the Solenoids are all good and have power. where does this Power Distribution box get its power from. large harness of wires coming out.
Thanks

Posted By: B&Bw/Arv on 03/21/11 05:41pm

Thanks all, today a couple of friends came over and we traced the problem to the solenoid that is above and forward from the one on the starter, actually hard to spot but found a loose connection there, all is well, getting ready for camping
Thanks again

Posted By: lebrave45 on 04/17/11 03:14pm

B&Bw/Arv wrote:

Got the MH uncovered from all winter today and went to start it, no power from key to starter. New Battery, plugged in to shore power, everything in coach works, generator will start. No headlights or turn signals, nothing in the chassis end, jumped across solenoid starter will turn over. I do not have a main battery disconnect that I know of. just can't figure out what could be wrong. Hopefully someone on here can help.
Thanks

I had the same problem, I changed the selenoid and every thing is ok, except I have no power on the radio, cb, and electric brake unit for the trailer.

Posted By: Pauly on 04/17/11 07:36pm

sundance_8 wrote:

Had the same problem last month. Battery cable connections were just oxidized enough to not make good contact. Removed them, sanded them and all was well.
always ck cable connections 1st.

Oregon Paul
'04 Georgetown 325SE/32'/ V-10

Print  |  Close