Open Roads Forum

Print  |  Close

Topic: Towing a VW Jetta

Posted By: drewt on 09/18/10 06:42pm

Hi,

I've been getting a lot of mixed information in regards to towing a VW behind my motor home and was hoping I could get more information from the experts here. Does anyone know if an '09 VW w/the 6 speed manual transmission be towed 4 down? I'd like to avoid towing on a dolly or trailer if at all possible but don't want to hurt the VW.

Please help and thanks!
-Drew

Posted By: SooperDaddy on 09/18/10 07:04pm

Even Remco, the experts on TOADS are confused!

1st they say..."1982 - 2011 Volkswagens- All Volkswagons Application Notes:
All Volkswagen 5 SPEED manual transmissions are safe to tow. The new SIX SPEED MANUAL transmission is unknown..no information is available. Check with Remco on baseplate availability. Engine:ALL
Drivetrain:FWD"

Then...

"Transmission-Manual
Click here to tow your 1982 - 2011 FWD ALL Volkswagen- All Volkswagons
1982 - 2011 Volkswagen All Volkswagons Application Notes
No Remco. Vehicle cannot be flat towed. Front wheel drives require a dolly, check owners manual and dolly distributor to confirm a dolly is usable for vehicle."

Motorhome Magazine TOAD Guide for 2008 says no also! It's unanimous!
NO!

If you want to bring the Bug...it looks like a car hauler trailer is in your future!

My posts shouldn't be taken for factual data, and are purely fictional, for entertainment purposes, should not be constituted as related to scientific, technical, engineering, legal, religious, spiritual, or practical advice. After all it's FREE! Amen.

Posted By: JohnQ on 09/20/10 05:46pm

We tow our 2002 VW Jetta TDI 5 Speed four down with no problems. Just a headsup, Roadmaster's estimate for 4 plus hours of labor to install a tow bar brackets & Wire is "Conservative", it took the guy in Portland all of those 4 hours and then one more.

1997 Safari Serengeti M-4040 Cat 300 &
2002 Jetti TDI & 2004 Ford Explorer Limited V8 Toads

Posted By: Johnny G1 on 09/18/10 10:46pm

Well I'm into 7yrs of towing 4 down in my Jetta 5 speed and no problems to date and I have towed it over 30,000 miles, the only problem I see is tire wear but it could also be the Michelin's are junk, 30,000 miles on the first set and the second set is over half worn. Just my thoughts.

1998 34' Newmar Mountain Aire,210 Cummins Puller, 542 Allison 4 speed, BD Performance Exhaust Brake, BD Torque Convertor, Hendrickson Air suspension, 4 wheel disc brakes. 4-120 Watt 2-80 Watt Kyocera panels 8-T105s 2013 Golf Wagon TDI with tow dolly

Posted By: routeforty on 09/18/10 07:35pm

The owners manual for our '01 jetta, manual tranny, says it can only be towed with the front wheels down for short distances and not over, I believe 45mph. Maybe the 09 is different?? Your owners manual should say somewhere in it. I had to look because I had to tow mine on a tow dolly backwards, couldn't get it on frontwards. Looked it up. Gary

'05 chevy 3500, duramax, allison, '00 Coachmen Futura 2790 TT, 35th anniversary edition, 05 lance 1130-stable lift

Posted By: muffie7777 on 10/19/10 06:48pm

does anyone tow or know about towing 4 wheels down a 2000 vw beetle gls 5 speed transmission? we keep asking and keep getting conflicting answers. thanks

does anyone know if a 2000 vw beetle 5 speed transmission can safely be flat towed (4 wheel down)? i have heard yes and no, which is correct?

Posted By: JohnQ on 10/19/10 07:39pm

muffie7777 wrote:

does anyone tow or know about towing 4 wheels down a 2000 vw beetle gls 5 speed transmission? we keep asking and keep getting conflicting answers. thanks

I beleive the 1999 1/2 thru 2004 Jetta's and the Beetles are the same frame and drive trains, so I believe you can tow 4 down.

Posted By: Rosher on 10/25/10 01:39pm

I own a 09 DSG (automatic) Jetta TDI. For what its worth, the owner's manual at page 345 has a section entitled When can your vehicle not be towed?There follows this statement: "If you have to tow over 30 miles (50 km)."

No distinction is made between the DSG and the manual transmission.

Further there is a "Note" that says "If the vehicle has to be towed more than 30 miles (50 km), it must be moved with the drive wheels off the ground." Further under the note it says "Do not tow your vehicle behind a recreational vehicle for more than 30 miles (50 km). The automatic transmission can be severely damaged, even if the selector lever is in the N ( Neutral) position."

I'll let you be the judge of how to interpret the above. But knowing VW's propensity to try to get out of the warranty, I'd be reluctant to tow either a manual or a DSG while the new car warranty is in force and expect them to cover any transmission problems under warranty without a fight.

Allegro 32 BA
Jeep Liberty Toad
Buster, 3 lb. Yorkie

Posted By: wny_pat on 10/26/10 12:15pm

JamesBr wrote:

However, VW is getting very vauge about manual transmissions. Lately they seem to think their DSG automatic is really a manual transmission. If your car does not have a clutch peddle, then you have a DSG and you wont be flat towing that.
I really don't think it is VW. The problem seems to be VOA vs VAG. VOA could never seem to get the proper oil for the TDI engine identified and refuse to ask the parent, VAG, for guidence. In any other German company, heads would be spinning, but not at VOA. It is like VAG does not exist in their corporate structure.

“All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware.”

Posted By: wny_pat on 10/25/10 10:52pm

Rosher wrote:

But knowing VW's propensity to try to get out of the warranty, I'd be reluctant to tow either a manual or a DSG while the new car warranty is in force and expect them to cover any transmission problems under warranty without a fight.
"But knowing VW's propensity to try to get out of the warranty" are very good words of wisdom. Sounds like something I would read over on the TDI Club web site. Don't know how many times I have read about VW getting out of a warranty issue. My 2002 TDI is way out of warranty and has close to 200,000 miles on it and she stays home while we travel. Everybody says I can tow it, but... Tow the DW's Ford Focus behind us. Besides, those VW windshields are made of very soft glass. Would pit the heck out of it.

Posted By: JamesBr on 10/26/10 01:48pm

Per VW they required VW505.00, VW505.01, or VW507 oil standards....of course VW does not mention API standards used in the US. And noone will print compatiblity unless they went through VW's cert process which does not exist in the US.

However, API-CG4 should cover all requirements for older models, API-CH4 for newer engines, though some say bottles with API-CG4 is really CH4 with the old labels attached.

Let me be clear...when I mention VW here in the US I am specifically talking about VWoA, not any of the european offices.

2006 Ford F350 6.0
2014 Primetime Sanibel 3600
Enough other vehicles to not bother listing.

Previous RV: 2001 Monaco Knight

Posted By: JamesBr on 10/26/10 07:38am

VW Golf/Jetta/New Beettle from 99-2005 was all the same manual transmission the O2J. I don't see how in its design that it could not be towed 4 down as coasting or under engine power the gear sets are being lubricated properly in a oil bath. It is an updated design of O2A transmissions that everyone has been flat towing in the past, so why would it change. Now the 6 speed I am not 100% sure on as I have never seen one open, but it is still the same oil bath setup then it should flat tow just fine.

However, VW is getting very vauge about manual transmissions. Lately they seem to think their DSG automatic is really a manual transmission. If your car does not have a clutch peddle, then you have a DSG and you wont be flat towing that.

Posted By: DiamondDan on 10/26/10 09:33am

The trans for my Passat is documented here

You can find all sorts of schematics and cut-away drawings at vaglinks.com look under OEM Documentation about half-way down the page.

Posted By: Gil_Johnson on 10/21/10 05:46pm

drewt wrote:

Hi,

I've been getting a lot of mixed information in regards to towing a VW behind my motor home and was hoping I could get more information from the experts here. Does anyone know if an '09 VW w/the 6 speed manual transmission be towed 4 down? I'd like to avoid towing on a dolly or trailer if at all possible but don't want to hurt the VW.

Please help and thanks!
-Drew

This is the same car I want to tow. I think I'm going to buy one and try it. FWIW, I have an 09 Jetta and the manual says not to exceed 55 miles or 30mph. That year had the 5 speed manual that's supposed to be fine. My Jetta is an automatic, so I need to get a manual and will likely end up with the 6 speed manual.

Gil

Posted By: BillsMax on 11/27/11 10:23am

RayPayne,
Thanks for you response. I too am considering a 2004 6spd manual Jetta to tow 4down. Glad to see you've had no problems. I will have to have connections for Blue Ox. What hitch do you have and how much to get connects on your vw?

2008 Monaco Signature
Pushed by White 2005 chevy 2500 crew cab Lb 4x4 Duramax/allison with 12 ft Porta-Bote in the truck bed.

Posted By: bkh on 03/07/11 08:58pm

I was just looking at owners manual for 2011 Jetta TDI Manual and it only refers to restrictions on towing with the automatic transmission, but doesn't really state that it's safe for manual either.

I talked to service department and they said it would be okay, but not sure I'd be willing to take the chance on their word alone.

Assuming it's okay with the standard, what procedure would be required for unlocking the steering column? Other vehicles seem to have various prodecures....removing fuses, disconnecting battery, etc..

Anyone know what owuld be required?

Brian & Laurie
2009 Winnebago Destination 39N
3 Kids & 2 Huskies
2004 BMW RT1150
1958 Piper Tripacer

Posted By: Sooboy on 10/29/10 07:22am

We met a couple at Meteor Crater in New Mexico in August who were flat towing a manual transmission 2008 or 2009 GTI. I'd never seen a late model VW being towed before, which is why I chatted with him. I was considering towing our '06 Jetta. Says he's towed it plenty without any problems.

No way would I tow a DSG though.

2012 Jayco Embark TB390
2009 Honda CRV TOAD with Blue Ox Aventa LX Tow Bar
FMCA #F413428

Posted By: wny_pat on 10/27/10 11:26pm

JamesBr wrote:

Per VW they required VW505.00, VW505.01, or VW507 oil standards....of course VW does not mention API standards used in the US. And noone will print compatiblity unless they went through VW's cert process which does not exist in the US.
But for many years you could not get the 5w40 synthetic 505.00 and even the 505.01 for the PD at dealers and they were putting what even in the engine. And causing lots of dead engines and warranty problems. Hopefully that has been cleared up now, as there are U.S. oils that meet the VAG specs. My first TDI was a '97 Passat and have been a member at the TDI Club for years now.

Posted By: RayPayne on 11/09/11 03:44pm

I know this is a fairly old topic now, but thought I would post anyway. I flat tow a 2009 Jetta TDI six speed. After around 30,000 km of towing it is still problem free. The car is still under warranty and my local VW dealer looked for any signs of problems and came back with no issue. Before I got my car I always found reference to people saw someone pulling a newer VW 4 down, but couldn't find first hand reference. Anyone considering the same is welcome to ask if they have questions I may be able to help with.

2007 Winnebago Access 29T
2009 Jetta TDI Toad

Posted By: gss036 on 01/30/11 05:04pm

Look at the owners manual. I have a 2009 Jetta and from I can remember it can not be towed wheels down. You would need a tow dolly.

Posted By: MCCAfamily on 01/31/11 02:28pm

gss036 wrote:

Look at the owners manual. I have a 2009 Jetta and from I can remember it can not be towed wheels down. You would need a tow dolly.

My 2010 owner's manual definitely makes that statement about the DSG automatic. But there is no reference to the 6-speed manual...

Posted By: MCCAfamily on 01/30/11 10:31am

drewt wrote:

Does anyone know if an '09 VW w/the 6 speed manual transmission be towed 4 down? I'd like to avoid towing on a dolly or trailer if at all possible but don't want to hurt the VW.

Did you ever find any information? I am in the same situation. Getting ready to buy a nice Diesel pusher for a 1 year excursion with the family and want to drag along our favorite car. We have a 2010 Jetta Sportwagen TDi with the 6-speed manual. Seems like there is quite a mystery around towing these...

Print  |  Close