Open Roads Forum

Print  |  Close

Topic: Would this be a dumb idea?

Posted By: WVTravco on 06/16/10 08:07pm

Just a thought (I'm a newbie so if this is a stupid idea, forgive me).

If we have a tent that is say 9x9 and an easy up canopy that is 10x10. Could we put the easy up canopy over the tent for added protection from the rain or falling limbs and more shade? This is of course as long as the tent is not too tall.

What are your thoughts on this?

Me(33), Hubby(32), Little Man(7), Princess(1), Boxer(2)
1972 Travco 270
TVs-2004 4Runner, 1986 Chevy Custom Deluxe C-10 or 2002 Ford F-350 Super Duty Diesel
2006 Bass Tracker 175
Coleman Sundome 6 tent
"More is not enough, too much is just right"

Posted By: Tom/Barb on 06/16/10 08:17pm

We carry a tent with us, it is used as the extra bedroom under the awning. we've done this with both the TT and the Class A, got the air matress and the sleeping bags too.

2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JK toad.

Posted By: Rolling Condo on 06/16/10 08:29pm

My dad used a white tarp and poles and used a rope as a ridge line to go over the 9'X12' wall tent as a sun shade. Made a big difference in keeping the tent cooler.

'90 GMC R2500 7.4L w/ Gear Vendor OD
'90 Avion 34V
Cummins Onan P4300ie
Pro Pride 3P
Prodigy

Posted By: Fire Instructor on 06/16/10 08:30pm

It adds shade and keeps the tent cooler on a hot day, plus it provides added rain protection for bad weather. I've seen any number of campers do similar.

Fire Instructor

2014 Ram Laramie w/6.7L Cummins Diesel
2009 Rockwood 2607
300 Watts of SunTech Solar Panels
Rogue MPT-3024 Controller & Xantrex PW2000 Inverter

"If everyone is thinking alike, then someone isn't thinking!" General George S. Patton

Posted By: gbopp on 06/16/10 08:20pm

I'm not a tent camper but, I think it is a good idea. Especially if there is no or few trees for shade.
I'm sure others will have different opinions....this is just mine.

Posted By: Emanon1501 on 06/16/10 08:20pm

I saw that here at the Yogi Camp site. I thought that was a great idea, an extra layer of protection.

Posted By: skipnchar on 06/16/10 08:34pm

We've done that in particularly hot weather and then left the rain fly off of the tent over night. Allows for a lot more ventilation and still protects against a rain shower.

2011 F-150 HD Ecoboost 3.5 V6. 2550 payload, 17,100 GCVWR -
2004 F-150 HD (Traded after 80,000 towing miles)
2007 Rockwood 8314SS 34' travel trailer

US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population

Posted By: Opie431 on 06/18/10 04:42am

We saw it done often whiile we were tent camping last fall. We had a large, free tarp that we put over ours the once we had a bad weather forcast.h the two inch hail balls we were glad to have it up.

Posted By: Quick trip on 06/16/10 08:43pm

On the easy-up just drill one more hole per leg (above the existing ones)
I did this and gives me an added 3" height!
Good Luck & Drive Safe!

Posted By: DutchmenSport on 06/16/10 09:09pm

Back in the tent camping days, that's exactly what we did, only we used a large tarp over the tent. Actually, we even used the same tarp over our pop-up too.

DutchmenSport

2014 Chevy Silverado 3500 Dually Duramax 6.6 HD diesel
2013 Keystone Outback 298RE Travel Trailer

Posted By: Brodie3Az on 06/16/10 08:53pm

Using any sort of an additional tarp or shade canopy can provide a level of protection from rain and sun. Just pay attention as to style of pop-up shade unit you are purchasing. A 10x10 slant leg will not shelter your entire tent footprint from vertical rain or sun. Watch for vertical leg sade units.

As far as protection from falling branches, NO. These shade units are not designed to handle impact from solid objects.

Do not forget to firmly anchor your shade unit. They are fabulous baloons!

Posted By: 4*phun*2 on 06/17/10 05:51am

I prefer a good tent with a full fly away from the TH. I don't leave the awning up over night, because there is nothing worse than taking down the awning, in the middle of the night, in a thunder storm, and now there is a #$%^ tent in the way.

Glenn & Karen
'08 Chevy LT 3500 HD 4x4 CC LB DRW (nice hips)
'06 F350 4X4 Lariat CC LB DRW (nice hips) retired
'09 Victory Lane 38SRV Toy Hauler
'02 HD Road King FLHRCI KRUZN
'04 F150 XLT Super Crew
Our Toys

Posted By: longjohn31 on 06/24/10 07:01pm

We use rope for ridge pole when trees are nearby, other times just drape tarp over tent and stake down. i use the stretchy strap with the ball on one end( like a little girls popbead) these can be use to attach to rope or to stake lets tarp have alittle give in wind also great for securing just about everything

Posted By: longjohn31 on 06/24/10 07:16pm

If you can find surplus store Parachute cord (550) cord is great ,super strong also some times at dump you find tent poles someone has discarded which can be used for ridgepole/frame work for shade. When the kids were smaller (adults now) we had a three room tent that was 10X20 so i found a tarp that was 20x 35 (odd size) with our old tent poles we never got wet in 5years of this set up . point is with tarps and enough rope you have shade /stay dry.......... the most important thing is to go Campin.........

Take a child camping and they will have fun.
Take a child CAMPIN and they will Cherish the memory

CAMPIN,CAMPIN,CAMPIN

Posted By: robsouth on 10/25/10 08:13pm

I have seen many tent campers using the e-z ups over their tent and over the campground table for shade and rain protection. I think it is a great idea and if i ever break out my old tent again, I will have and e-z up canopy over it for sure.

"Sometimes I just sit and think. Sometimes I just sit." "Great minds like a think."

Posted By: deadticket8 on 11/04/10 08:01pm

I will weigh in on the tarp thing. Some people use tyvek to keep their tent waterproof during a rain although i have never tried this. I think the most important thing in keeping dry is ventilation because no matter how waterproof your tent is you will get condensation. My "dryest" tent is my backpacking tent Spitfire by Eureka. It is more mesh than nylon so I can peel the fly back in the summer to keep cool or close it up in the cold. I have slept in it in 28 degree nights comfortably also through some medium rain. If it is a well made tent it is worth sealing seams every couple of years. But SUN is tough on tents so if you camp alot you should "sumblock" your tent with a tarp.

Posted By: deadticket8 on 11/04/10 08:01pm

I will weigh in on the tarp thing. Some people use tyvek to keep their tent waterproof during a rain although i have never tried this. I think the most important thing in keeping dry is ventilation because no matter how waterproof your tent is you will get condensation. My "dryest" tent is my backpacking tent Spitfire by Eureka. It is more mesh than nylon so I can peel the fly back in the summer to keep cool or close it up in the cold. I have slept in it in 28 degree nights comfortably also through some medium rain. If it is a well made tent it is worth sealing seams every couple of years. But SUN is tough on tents so if you camp alot you should "sunblock" your tent with a tarp.

Posted By: TN_CAMPER on 07/09/10 06:19am

Guess I'm fortunate that I've not camping in a big enough storm (rainfly seems to work just fine for the occasional showers).

Using the EZ up to protect the tent is a good idea. However, I prefer to leave my EZ up tent over the picnic table to keep the dew off my other stuff (making sure to close my chairs and put under the EZ up tent so I don't wake up to a wet chair).

Posted By: tplife on 07/09/10 12:06pm

AkJason that tent is a thing of beauty!

Posted By: tplife on 11/05/10 11:22am

I've found that UV exposure will fade the fabric colors a bit, but it hasn't kept my tents out of service, or at least because the tent is of high quality the fabric retains its integrity. The mesh on one of the 2 doors was where repairs were needed about 20 years into it on the '87 model.

Posted By: AHappyCamper on 11/03/10 10:23pm

The reason most people put a tarp over a tent is because they haven't waterproofed the tent, and it leaks. ALL tents, whether they cost $40 or $400 are sewn with needles, and needles make holes in the fabric. Those holes have to be sealed, or they will leak. Some higher priced tents come with seam tape on major seams, but even those tents have many, many sewing needle holes that haven't been sealed.

There are two types of seam sealer. Water based sealer, that comes in a small roll on bottle, is the easiest to find. With the tent set up, roll the sealer along all seams that would be exposed to water if it rained. If your tent has a rain fly that goes over the top, and you use it, that means you can skip all the seams that will be under the fly. Seal the seams on the fly itself with the fly lying upside down on the ground.

A properly sealed tent does not need a blue tarp thrown over it to keep out water, or any extra canopy over it.

You should use a ground sheet under your tent to help protect the floor from abrasion. This can be a tarp, folded under the tent, heavy mil plastic cut to size, landscaping fabric, or a factory made "footprint" just for that tent. You don't want the ground sheet sticking out from the sides of the tent; that would serve to collect rain and funnel it under the tent.
Another way to help save the floor of your tent is to not allow kids/pets to make a million trips in and out all day, and to require shoes off when in the tent.

If you have a floor that you think may leak, you can also use something like a painter's plastic drop cloth INside the tent, spreading it over the floor and up the sides a bit. That way, even if heavy water penetrates the seams of your floor, things like your sleeping bag, on top of the plastic liner, will stay dry.

Tarps and canopies can be good for shade; I agree. But I can tell you from years of camping and with Scouts, and seeing all sorts of rigging, extra things like that can be a real pain when the rain or wind really kicks up in the middle of the night. Tarps, especially, can pool water...and water gets heavy...and soon it all ends up on the tent it was intended to keep dry. Usually about 3 am. :-)

Posted By: refried on 11/06/10 09:24am

In rainy weather I'll set up a canopy over the front half of the tent, this gives me a dry area outside the door so I'm not dragging mud into the tent and I don't have to get wet as soon as I step outide. In hot weather I'll use the canopy instead of the fly. the teny stays much cooler in the shade of the canopy.
I use an older model of this over the tent.
http://cascadedesigns.com/msr/tents/basecamp-tents/vistawing/product
and one of these over the table/cooking area.
http://www.nrsweb.com/shop/product.asp?pfid=2772&pdeptid=2122

* This post was edited 11/06/10 09:30am by refried *

Posted By: WVTravco on 06/24/10 07:46pm

longjohn31 wrote:

If you can find surplus store Parachute cord (550) cord is great ,super strong also some times at dump you find tent poles someone has discarded which can be used for ridgepole/frame work for shade. When the kids were smaller (adults now) we had a three room tent that was 10X20 so i found a tarp that was 20x 35 (odd size) with our old tent poles we never got wet in 5years of this set up . point is with tarps and enough rope you have shade /stay dry.......... the most important thing is to go Campin.........

Take a child camping and they will have fun.
Take a child CAMPIN and they will Cherish the memory

CAMPIN,CAMPIN,CAMPIN

We actually have a bunch of camo Gore Tex that I was going to make a few tarps out of. I think it would work well being waterproof yet keeping it breathable and ventilated. Now I need to see how much it would be to have those made.

Posted By: WVTravco on 10/26/10 09:19am

I never did get to try it. The summer got away from us and we didn't get to go camping. I will try it next summer though. I'll try and remember to take pictures too.

Posted By: Kalabin on 07/07/10 10:49pm

Personally I agree with the idea of buying a good tent. I have tent camped a lot in Alaska and it makes a huge difference. A quality tent with a full rain fly, double vestibule for gear will keep you nice and dry. I have seen people use tents here with tarps covering them when the weather turns south and they end up with a lot of condensation build up come the next morning that gets on the gear.

Having a tarp on hand in case of a rain storm is handy, but I wouldnt rely on it for my rain/wind protection. Invest in a tent with a full rain fly that steaks off to the ground and you cant go wrong. Like others have said branches falling, no tarp will save you from that. Just need to be aware of your surroundings and hope nothing goes bump in the middle of the night!

This is what I use for tent camping currently, absolutly love it.

2013 F150 Ecoboost, FX4, Crew Cab, Max Tow, 402A Package "loaded"

Posted By: MichelleNH on 10/23/10 04:17pm

Did you end up doing this? How did it work out? We have a 10x17 dome tent. Every year, we spend a few hours hanging a huge tarp above our site to protect tent and everything from rain. I hate this job. I may buy a 10x20 canopy with poles that people use on their deck or as a little car port or party canopy and put it over the tent. We would get a second, 8x8 canopy on poles for the picnic table and take our chances with everything else.

Any thoughts?

Posted By: hikenhunter on 01/13/11 10:13pm

Five seasons ago we bought a 12x12 Canopy with a tent body made to fit inside the frame of the canopy, at Dicks Sporting Goods. We have used it for 5 years and in some really nasty weather. We have not been rained out yet. Dicks doesn't sell the tent body any more but Wal-Mart does sell a 10x10 canopy with a tent body made to fit inside the canopy. My son bought this set up and he too has been dry in it for the last three seasons. Canopy and tent set up in 10 or 15 minutes and have proven to be very sturdy. Also condensation is no problem as the top of the tent body is completly made of mesh, which alows lots of air flow. I hyave seam seald the caopy seams with a liquid seam sealer to be sure we are as water proof as possible. These tents are easy to set up, have great standing room inside. and are very affordable at about 89.00 for the canopy and about 40.00 for the tent body. Also if you need a canopy when you are not camping the canopy can be used without the tent body. Should you require a new roof because the old one wears out or gets damaged you can buy the roof separately instead of having to replace the whole tent. Check it out.

Print  |  Close